Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk question

Boolit Bub

Blackhawk question

I'm gearing up to buy a blackhawk and have aquestion . What is the difference between the blackhawk and the super blackhawk. Also what barrel lenghts do you guys like.

SuperBlackHawk = 44 mag
    Blackhawk = 45 Colt or 357 Mag

5.xx", 4.xx" 7.xx", in that order. Depends a lot on what you want to do with it (i.e. silhouette, hunt, plink, carry regularly). I prefer the shorter barrels, but the 5.xx" is a good compromise.

-ktw

Boolit Master

I like the 5.5" best. 4 5/8ths is a great carry piece for hiking and such, but I prefer the slightly longer barrel for hunting.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    Blackhawk = 45 Colt or 357 Mag
    or 41 MAG!
    Don't forget the best one

Boolit Master
    The grips frame are different. The SBH is longer and with a square trigger guard it can whack your knuckles pretty good without the right kind of grips.

Smile

I love my old Super Blackhawk (7.5", as they all were then) that I've had since 1971.

The right kind of grips for it are the ones that came on it.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

The black hawk is available in the 44mag as well, but this little gun is harder to handle than my 475 Linbaugh. At least it hurts worse and seems louder. It's a real "ball of fire"

BH=small grip frame....fluted cylinder....round trigger guard.... small, narrow, sharp hammer...smooth trigger

SBH=larger grip frame....square triger guard...unfluted cylinders...nice wide hammer...searated triger ........ The square trigger guard has never been a problem for me with factory wood grips. The 7 1/2inch SBH 44mag is a real hunting machine!! This is my favorite but the 4 5/8 really packs well!

The super is now available with a lot of changes I just saw one the other day with the fat hammer, larger grip frame but with a round trigger guard and smooth trigger.

Boolit Master
    Have you looked at a Bisley model? I wouldn't rule that out unless you have monstrously big hands.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Un fortunatly the law says I must use a 61/2" barrel for hunting. A carry permit is nearly impossible to get. IF I get elected to public office ,it will an be easier but NOT guarantted endeavour! I do like the 41/2" barrel though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Have you looked at a Bisley model? I wouldn't rule that out unless you have monstrously big hands.
    I second this! there's just something about that fat hammer and the smooth, crecent trigger that just comforts your finger

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for all the info

Boolit Master
    Barrel lenght is good question. I've had 2" barrels and 6" barrels since the 70's.

It just been in the last couple of years that I bought a 7.5" Blackhawk, and a 4.625" BH. I've really fallen in love with the long barrel .45 Colt caliber. Its very impressive to me how I can put big boolits where I want them. The 4.625" BH in .357 hasn't lived up to that yet. I notice with the 4 inch gun, my trigger finger pulls or pushes the barrel more than on the 7.5" gun. Both guns are large and are not concealable on my 165 lbs. I have a 2.25" SP101 in .357 with Hogue grips that I can shoot better than my 4.625" BH when I'm shooting unsupported. In fairness though I have shot thousands more rounds through the SP101 than the new 4 inch BH.

In my opinion, I'll stick to 2 inch barrels for CCW and my bedside security system, and use 6 inches or more for targets or critters.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Are you aware that the Blackhawk can be converted to a Bisley model revolver, for less than $200.

BISLEY GRIP CONVERSION KIT from BROWNELLS

Converts Blackhawk & Vaquero To Popular Bisley Grip

All the essential parts, pins and screws you need to convert a Blackhawk , Super Blackhawk or Vaquero into a Bisley. Just add your favorite Bisley grip and complete your projects. Ruger factory parts ensure authenticity, plus outstanding quality and fit. Does not include grip panels. Blue Kit - hammer and trigger are fully finished, ready to install. Grip frame is in-the-white, slightly oversized; requires fitting to frame, polishing and finishing.

SPECS: Kit includes grip frame, hammer, trigger, (2) grip frame screws, grip panel dowel, trigger spring pivot pin and trigger spring retaining pin. Gunsmith fitting recommended. Blue

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Another Bisley fan here! I have one each in 357 Magnum and 45 Colt, and a 44 Magnum might join them in the safe if someone would relieve me of the current Redhawk I'm using. I like the Bisley/7.5" combo that much.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    I love my BH, standard grip frame, 4 5/8", 45 Colt. It is stainless steel and is my day to day using gun here on the farm. It'll kill anything I point it at. A longer barrel and/or a Bisley grip may make shooting/hitting easier, but I don't think either would improve it's handling qualities. Plus the damn thing SHOOTS as it is. It is my idea of a perfect working sixgun, plus it means a lot to me since my Dad gave it to me.

Just my $0.02 worth.

SSB

Boolit Master
    Not all Super Blackhawks have the square trigger guard, or unfluted cylinders. The 4-5/8" variant has an unfluted cylinder and round trigger guard. The 5.5" variant has a fluted cylinder and a round trigger guard. The round trigger guards are the same one used on the original Vaqueros.

To me, Ruger missed the boat by not offering the 4-5/8" variant with a fluted cylinder, but then who the he** am I? Mine WILL have a fluted cylinder once I return to the States and send it off to be smithed!

And, if you like the longer grip of the Super Blackhawk but not the square trigger guard, you can buy a Blackhawk Hunter grip frame and install it. That's one of the nice things about Ruger SA revolvers - so many of the parts are interchangeable!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Another +1 for the Bisley variation. Having owned both, I do feel that the Bisley grip is superior for handling and recoil control, and a little easier to shoot consistently.
    The Bisley version has the unfluted, engraved cylinder. In my safe right now is a 7.5" Bisley, and a 5" Bisley (shortened from 7.5" of course). The 7.5" is a little easier to hit with at longer range, but the 5" balances and handles better. I can't tell any difference in recoil between the two.

The Bisley version is currently only offered in the 7.5" barrel length. About 8-10 years ago AccuSport had a custom run of stainless 5.5" Bisleys, but I'm sure one of those would be hard to find now.

Regarding the Super Blackhawks, not all of them came with square trigger guards, some were rounded. Mine was square, and never smacked my finger, which some complain about. The grip frame on the Super Blackhawk is larger (longer) than the standard Blackhawk, but not as large as the Bisley Blackhawk.

The standard Blackhawks are available with dual cylinders, to shoot 45 ACP and 45 Colt from the same gun. I had one of these in the 4 5/8" barrel, and really liked it, very handy little gun. The grip seemed a little small for full power hotrod loads, but was fine for mid range loads. I believe the .357 Blackhawk was (is?) available with a 9mm cylinder as well.

One variation not yet mentioned here, which I've been wanting for a while now, is the Buckeye Blackhawk, in 38/40, with an extra .40 S&W cylinder. These are pretty hard to find and of course are not made any more. I'd like to find one of these and have a 5 shot cylinder made for a 45 Colt necked to 40 caliber, but so far that's just a pipe dream.

Edit: nicholst55, I missed your post about the Super Blackhawks, didn't mean to just repeat what you said. You are right, these Blackhawks are cool because so many parts are interchangeable. I don't think I'd ever spend $200 for the Bisley grip frame though, I think Brownell's is a bit over priced there. You can buy a new Bisley for about twice that ($400-$440). Kinda like Brownell's remington 700 actions that sell for about as much as a whole rifle!
    Last edited by yondering; 06-05-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an original (Old Model) .44 magnum Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel. It is one of the most accurate .44 mags that I own. I put a set of Packmayr's on it right after buying it (I use rubber grips almost exclusively).

I also have a 5.5" Bisley Vaquero .45 Colt that is also an excellent performer. I have shot in a number of Black Powder Cartridge Matches with some success. It shoots well with both black and smokeless powder. My bullet of choice is the Lyman Cowboy 452664 bullet.

I have been very happy with my Black Hawks (and Bisley Vaquero).

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have and old Flattop Blackhawk in 44 MAG that was made in 1957 that has a 6.5" or 7.5" barrel cannot remmember which . Bear in mind this 44 MAG is NOT a Super Blackhawk and was made before they ever started that designation .

Also have one of the 50th Anniversary 357 Flattops with the 4 5/8" barrels .

And last but surely not least a Blackhawk "Buckeye Special" in 32-20/32 MAG that has a 6.5" barrel .

And of the bunch I'd have to say I like the 32-20 the best
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Guys
    If thats the same company that made the birds head kit the gunsmith fitting is no joke. I did one, it involved a good bit of draw filing (the part was wider then my frame), some fine hole realignment and a little tweaking to the part itself to fit the contour of the frame on my 44.
    It is a very nice kit when done and polished in stainless. Best compliment was what shop did this. It is my official bar-b-que gun, and gets worn when teaching levergun to coppers
    Once a wheelweight, now its makin holes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast