Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lithium grease for Lee tumble lube/Elmer Keith style cast bullets: any experience?

Banned

Lithium grease for Lee tumble lube/Elmer Keith style cast bullets: any experience?

Lithium grease for Lee tumble lube/Elmer Keith style cast bullets: any experience?

dear ya all,

Has anyone experience in using Lithium grease (automotive grade) for lubricating Lee tumble lube or any other style lead cast bullets? Those are made from wheel weights or lead from Scavenged 12 ga shotshells for reloading.

My personal experience:
    I have used pure Lithium grease for lubricating 124 grain Truncated Cone tumble lube Lee 9mm Bullets which I use in 9mm Luger semi Auto pistol (S&W SD9VE) and a 357 mag Revolver (Pietta Rough Rider big bore SAA 5.5").
    I dip the boolits with a plyer into the grease so it covers all grease grooves and base and whipe the base off and load them as cast so the last die strips off any excess grease and afterwards I whipe off again the whole loaded bullet.
    I can not see any leading in both guns (but do not know exactly how leading Looks like in the Barrel).

Any personal experience or advice?

Moderator Emeritus

there are a few threads that discuss this, have you used the search option ?

Here is one
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?101036-Grease
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Even with my Keith boolits, I use my 458 lube. Its a handgun over kill.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

I use 1 part Lithium Grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) mixed with 3 parts Beeswax ...
    Great for handgun loads. Been using it for many years, it's my favorite.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I use 1 part Lithium Grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) mixed with 3 parts Beeswax ...
    Great for handgun loads. Been using it for many years, it's my favorite.
    Gary
    I have used that too with perfect success in my rifles. Lithi-bee it was called. Stinky and sticky but sure does work.

Boolit Grand Master

AJG, you're not talking about lithium grease alone are you? I don't think it would be stable/thick enough (weeping into the powder) without something like bees wax for a "binder"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    Yes. It is lithium grease ALONE. I tell you it never gets fluid even if I light it with an lighter. If burn a while with a lighter it does not burn nor liquify. It only starts to smoke and get dark (like the smoke of smoking the bullet mold with an candle).

It stays stable allways at least in my experience since it is extremely resistant to liquify even in sun at 60 degrees Celsius (like in the desert).
    I am located in Southamerica. The lithium grease is made by Texaco Brazil and is called Marfak MP2.
    It is used widely with land machines and automotive and they would not use it if it would liquify.
    I find no leading at all (at least not more than normal) in my revolver as well as in my pistol.

Double

So you are using a Lithium Complex NLGI 2 grease, not Lithium Grease.(AKA White Lithium Grease)

Banned
    What does Lithium Complex NLGI 2 mean?

On the Container it says Lithium grease made by Texaco Brazil Marfak MP2. It is grease not a spray bottle nor pressurized. It is in grease form to dip in the finger and smear it were you want it to have.

Banned
    I use this one for lubricating cast lead bullets. Yes it is Texaco Lithium Complex NLGI 2 grease.

here Webpage https://www.chevron.com.br/negocios/...D-5F9BFD4B0475.
    Picture:

Boolit Grand Master

If it's working the way you want it to, great. I couldn't get regular grease to work for me...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I've used a lube with 50% Lithium grease/50% beeswax, and shooting it in revolvers stunk to high heaven and it made the range smell like there was a grease fire nearby. so NO THANKS to using it 100%.

Banned
    I Changed my bullet lube for Animal marker Crayons brand Raidl Raidex made by Hauptner&Herberholz in Germany. They supposed to have <<Crayons based on special waxes and paraffin oil. temperature stability>>.

Here their Webpage: http://www.raidex.de/en/products/ani...ng-sticks.html

I can not see any leading with These. They stay solid till 80 degrees Celsius or 176 degrees Farenheit. They have about an consistensity of an lipstick (they are not hard nor to soft). They are harder than Vaseline and softer than candles (like an lipstick used by humans or like These german Uhu glue sticks).
    If I expose them to hot sunshine on an hot Motor Hood they do not seep oils nor do they liquify. I believe this is an perfect Option availlable locally for bullet lubing. I rub the stick into the tumble lube grooves till filled completely and then load them.