Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am baffled

Boolit Master

I am baffled

I was out tonight with the GF plinking at the range
    She was working on a brick of 22's , ventalating pop cans

I had a bunch of the 165 gr 30 cal modifyed silouete bullet loaded in the 308 with 11 gr of Promo
    I am guessing around 1400 fps

I was shooting paper mainly at 50 and 100 yds , getting about 1.25" and 2" , 5 shot groups at the 2 ranges

An other shooter left , leaving some clean targets at 200 yds
    So I figured I would see how much drop I was getting at 200 with a 100 yd zero

When I went down to see , I was shocked , by seeing the 2 groups I had shot
    To be 1.75" and 1.875"
    So I shot 2 more 5 shot groups at both 100 and 200 yds

100 yd groups were just smaller than 2" and the 200 yd groups were both just over 1.75"

Not going to say these are great groups
    But how am I shooting smaller 200 yd groups
    With everything the same , as I was just randomly picking rounds out of a 100 rnd box
    No changes other than shooting into a different backstop

Any ideas ??

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

In Remembrance

Boolits are stabilizing as velocity comes down, fewer rpms, I think. DALE

Boolit Grand Master

Aim small, mis small.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I go along with Dale, They are 2" accurate @ 100yrds and then go sub-sonic somewhere past 100yrds and become 1.75" accurate then kind of like when they shoot good @100 then keyhole @200

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Nah....Those were "special" targets. I've seen em on ebay. The further you shoot, the better the group. At 500 yards I shot a 5 shot group with a 22 that measured .11 (offhand....including a called flyer )
    Last edited by Bill*; 05-31-2008 at 01:23 AM.
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master
    As mentioned earlier, the boolits are stabilizing. They are what some refer to as "going to sleep".

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    neat,going to sleep,that is cool,must stay sub sonic.

In Remembrance

Going to sleep is a term used back in the 50's when we played "tops". A wooden top with a metal point was wound with string and made to spin. When trown hard, the gyroscopic forces multiplied unbalance forces and the top would wobble on its axis until the rpm's fell below the point where the energy in the imbalance reduced enough that the top would spin true on it's axis and stand motionless except for the spin, thus "going to sleep". DALE

Boolit Master

It is quite common for my 6mm-284 to shoot smaller groups at 200 yds than at 100. As has been pointed out it is do to the bullet becoming more stable further down range, but I am not sure I agree with the sub-sonic theory, because I am starting out with a muzzle velocity of 3950 fps with a 100 gr bullet. I don't think that at 200 yds I am subsonic. Also, as a caveat, I don't have that problem of smaller groups at 200 yds with the 85 gr bullets, they seem to stay at 0.75 in for a 5 shot group. The 100 gr will consistently shoot 1 in groups at 100 yds then shrink to an average of .75 in at 200 yds. I will also note that the rifle was made from a 244 Rem barrel which has if I remember correctly a 1 in 14 twist where a regular 243/6mm is a 1 in 10 twist.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Thanks for the insite

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    244 Remmie barrels were 12 twist; 6mm Remmie barrels are 10 twist. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    244 Remmie barrels were 12 twist; 6mm Remmie barrels are 10 twist. ... felix
    I believe the 6MMs are 9 inch, Felix, .243s (Winchesters) were 10 inch.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yep, you're correct, Art. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    It is quite common for my 6mm-284 to shoot smaller groups at 200 yds than at 100. As has been pointed out it is do to the bullet becoming more stable further down range, but I am not sure I agree with the sub-sonic theory, because I am starting out with a muzzle velocity of 3950 fps with a 100 gr bullet. I don't think that at 200 yds I am subsonic. Also, as a caveat, I don't have that problem of smaller groups at 200 yds with the 85 gr bullets, they seem to stay at 0.75 in for a 5 shot group. The 100 gr will consistently shoot 1 in groups at 100 yds then shrink to an average of .75 in at 200 yds. I will also note that the rifle was made from a 244 Rem barrel which has if I remember correctly a 1 in 14 twist where a regular 243/6mm is a 1 in 10 twist.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    Hey, your cheating.Using those condom coated bullets I would say you are probably correct,subsonic was a poor choice. How about they reached a better balance between rpm, shape & forward movement. Given any particular boolit diameter/weight/speed there are probably several speeds that they shoot accuratly. In this case the boolit may have been slipping into subsonic flight, Cast boolits (for the most part) don't have sharp tapered points, and may fly better in subsonic.
    Last edited by NSP64; 05-31-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Master

I like your explanation best! *ROFLMAO*

Thanks for the laugh, Bill!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    Nah....Those were "special" targets. I've seen em on ebay. The further you shoot, the better the group. At 500 yards I shot a 5 shot group with a 22 that measured .11 (offhand....including a called flyer )

I've heard other folks talking about the .303 british doing the same thing at 500-600 yards.

When you first hear of one doing it, sounds hard to believe.

Smile

The RPMs don't come down much as the boolit flies. Linear speed drops off rapidly, rotational speed slowly.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy
    The bullet may stabilize at a slower speed. BUT what makes it stabilize at the same spot every time a new bullet is shot? I've heard of this happening all my life but it just doesn't make much sense. The bullet would have to stabilize at the exact same spot every time, to print the same size or smaller groups at 200. And I just don't think this would happen. I can't remember the formula now but a gun that prints an inch at 100 yds does not necessarily print 2" at 200 yards. There are other factors at work here.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    Ask Larry Gibson. He seems to have all the answers. He and his crew will tell you it is not possible to shoot smaller groups at further distances.

Ralf

Boolit Master
    I wish I could remeber the details now but one of my old Sierra manuals offered some insight on this. On leaving the barrel the bullet enters what's called the Modus Violentus, where it is unstable as it makes the transition from your bore to the atmosphere. They claim this zone or portion of it's flight can print larger groups as far out as 100 yards, smaller ones after that. This is something we can argue for years and I'm not sure if I can believe or understand it, but Sierra claimed it to be a fact.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast