Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee prooves to be junk again

Lee prooves to be junk again

One of our customers ordered through us a .455 Webley crimp die. He opted for the Lee which is about 10.00, I prefer not to use Lee (for many reasons but this is just one of them). According to Lee the 90865 is the crimp die for the .455 Webley. Well, not only will it not touch the .770" long Webley, it won't even remove the bell on the longer .455 Eley (.880"). I called Lee, their response was to send it in with a sample case and they would look into it. My response to them was that I should not have to pay shipping on a die that was brand new that is not properly made or assembled correctly. Moreover, why should a customer have to pay 50-70% of the cost of the die when the error lies at Lee. They held firm. I asked if they would refund the S/H if it was Lee's opinion that in fact the die was not correct. The answer was No. I offered to give my customer his full money back and he just laughed and said he'd use it for the .45 Colt and stop buying Lee products.

Just a heads up if anyone planned to buy this die for the Webley, it may not work, and Lee will cost you more to fix it. Or maybe it will and I just got a lemon.

I can attest to the Redding die set which works well for the Webley (I prefer Redding and RCBS)
    Last edited by reed1911; 08-26-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Nothing new here, customer pays return shipping on Lee's mistakes. Been discussed many times here before. If you want free parts, pay ahead on RCBS or Dillon. You have to factor that into your buying decision on a lower priced item.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

If the company has "free" shipping how do they pay for it? Yep though the price of the goods sold. Lee just charges the individual with the item they wish to return. Those that get good part save money. Money to pay for shipping has to come from someplace. TANSTAFL!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I hate to be a contrarian, but I've had very good luck with Lee. I've used their stuff for years (not exclusively, but a lot of it) and only had trouble with one die. I sent it back and received a replacement within a week. Their dies are always a bargain compared to other brands and the ammo they load is just as good as dies that cost twice as much.

Vendor Sponsor

Peter strikes again. They need to FIRE that guy or give him Dillon's and RCBS salesman of the year award. He is Lee customer service and he SUCKS.

I sent in a .308 Win sizing die that was unfinished, the neck never got polished out to final diameter and finish, I TOLD them this was what was wrong with it, they sent it back saying it is correct, and sent the case that I sent them, after they ran it through the rough finished die, they sent it back WITH A BUCKLE in the shoulder!

I ebayed a used Lee die, same die, it came polished in the neck and .001" bigger than the die I sent them, and it sized and decapped cases perfectly where the other one was SO rough it dang near broke the handle off an old Lyman cast iron press trying to resize cases.

If I had Peter's supervisor name and could make SURE the die and my letter got to him and didn't get sabotaged by Me. Peter, I would cut the die in half and SHOW him that the die is indeed unfinished and rough drilled, and file a formal complaint against Peter for derelicting his job duties.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Well spank my butt and call me Eddie
    My Lee .455 Webley seater works like a charm and does a fine roll crimp.

On the other hand my $150+ RCBS 455-265-RN-HB mould is a ***. Bullets cling like they are glued in place when casting.

Boolit Master
    Doug, send it to Mr. Lee.

Boolit Master
    Lee just tends to be hit or miss. I like some of their stuff, the factory crimp dies are pretty nice. Cant say had problems with their dies. Their casting stuff is mostly junk, none of the sizers I bought size correctly.

And for some things its really the only way to go. When I went looking for 577/450 martini dies it was $80 from lee or....$450 from RCBS. I really cant imagine the RCBS dies do that much better of a job.

Seems all the companies are going the same way. I am not at all impressed with a new RCBS scale I got vs my old one. But the old one was Ohaus, the new one is, who knows.

But yea Lee customer service is ****, its never their fault. Always has to be something you are doing.

Boolit Master

I use lee stuff along with everyone else's , one lee seater die wasn't finished and would not seat o bullet nor boolit, they replaced it, don't remeber if I payed shipping or not, one lee mold in 44 had far more more issues than simple leementing could fix, I paid freight their way and got a wonderful fixed mold back! at the price they charge I can afford several!

Boolit Bub

Lee prooves to be junk again

Loaded thousands of rounds with Lee stuff. Cheap, works and reloads go bang without a hitch. I like Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cpy911 View Post
    Loaded thousands of rounds with Lee stuff. Cheap, works and reloads go bang without a hitch. I like Lee.

I had good luck with Lee dies and molds so far. But one day i may get a bad one. The Question about the crimp die would a 45 auto rim work instead. Guys make Webley ammo from 45 AR.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have 2 drawers of dies in multiple cartridge calibers and about 95% they are Lee. The dies are either used for hand loading or on the Dillon 550B. In addition, in another cabinet close to 50 to 60 Lee molds, stock & custom calibers.
    Die comparison: 44 WCF RCBS and Lee with 200gr .427 RNFP. The RCBS crumbled so many necks - in the drawer - bought the Lee and have been hand loading ever after with perfect reloads
    I have sent only 2 molds back and one was a custom Big Lube 400gr that was the worst mold I have met
    Bottom Line: Lee Precision has been in business for decades. Out of all their products, including dies which have turned the corner to quality IMO, there is bound to be some dissatisfied customs but over - all novice and tight wallet reloaders and casters seem to continue to buy Lee Precision products instead of the higher priced vendor products. So based on the large population - the percentage of dissatisfied folks is present
    Regards
    John

My Lee .455 Webley seater works like a charm and does a fine roll crimp.
    The die in question is the factory crimp die, not the seat die.
    Cheap is correct, like most other things in the shooting industry you get what you pay for.
    I have a long, long list of complaints about Lee, I do not recommend them to anyone. When a customers asks for a product I will give it to them, if I think they may want my advise I will ask if they want it, if not then I won't weigh in. Generally the straight wall dies from Lee are okay, the FCD is about 50/50, any bottle neck die is good to toss, in my opinion. I know lots of guys that use Lee dies and are just happy, and I have no issue with that, to each his own.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Bub
    My Lee factory crimp die works great loading cast .223 rounds! Loaded and shot hundreds of these guys. Fun blasting combo and cheap, like Lee stuff.
    LEE FCD works great for 30-30 too. Never had any problems with Lee stuff. Lee seems like a good value.

Did have a problem with RCBS mold, but they took care of me. Great folks.

Lee stuff is good to go in my book. I like LEE!

Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    The die in question is the factory crimp die, not the seat die.

Cheap is correct, like most other things in the shooting industry you get what you pay for.
    I have a long, long list of complaints about Lee, I do not recommend them to anyone. When a customers asks for a product I will give it to them, if I think they may want my advise I will ask if they want it, if not then I won't weigh in. Generally the straight wall dies from Lee are okay, the FCD is about 50/50, any bottle neck die is good to toss, in my opinion. I know lots of guys that use Lee dies and are just happy, and I have no issue with that, to each his own.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I have 2 drawers of dies in multiple cartridge calibers and about 95% they are Lee. The dies are either used for hand loading or on the Dillon 550B. In addition, in another cabinet close to 50 to 60 Lee molds, stock & custom calibers.
    Die comparison: 44 WCF RCBS and Lee with 200gr .427 RNFP. The RCBS crumbled so many necks - in the drawer - bought the Lee and have been hand loading ever after with perfect reloads
    I have sent only 2 molds back and one was a custom Big Lube 400gr that was the worst mold I have met
    Bottom Line: Lee Precision has been in business for decades. Out of all their products, including dies which have turned the corner to quality IMO, there is bound to be some dissatisfied customs but over - all novice and tight wallet reloaders and casters seem to continue to buy Lee Precision products instead of the higher priced vendor products. So based on the large population - the percentage of dissatisfied folks is present
    " turned the corner"???.....I don't believe that they have neared the corner yet!!

Boolit Master
    I've gotten 2 mistakes from lee, but amazon covered the return and replacement. All the rest are working fine, their customer service does leave a bit to be desired I guess. I've had terrible customer service from computer vendors that I spent way more money on though, so for the price point they work for me.

I've never understood why companies won't stand behind their product when there are clear mistakes made. I'm fine if it turns out to be my fault, but don't charge me to return a mistake.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I tried Lee dies once 7x57mm, they were terrible. I have had Lee molds too. Don't want any Lee
    products of any kind. Time is to short to mess with junk. I have had Hornady dies that were just
    as bad, don't buy them anymore either. The old Pacific DuraChome dies, pre Hornady are as good
    as RCBS, Lyman, Redding ect. They cost a little more but are worth it, if you load a lot and do
    more than general reloading. Like any other tool you are better off buying the best you can afford
    in the long run. At shows you can usually pick up a good set of used dies for the price of new Lees
    in the standard cals.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cpy911 View Post

"go bang" may be all you expect, others have higher expectations. Btw, thousands of rounds is not even 6 months of shooting for some. My point is that we all have different needs and expectations.

Boolit Master
    I don't buy much from Lee, most of my Lee stuff comes from Midway. If I have a problem I just call Midway and they deal with it. Since my most used molds and dies are for 9mm, 40W and 45acp I have good result.

Perma-Banned

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have never had a problem with Lee customer service. On several occasions they have sent me small parts on their dime. I'll continue to use Lee.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast