Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed By Self Defense Ammo Options

Overwhelmed By Self Defense Ammo Options

Earlier this year I bought a Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 Subcompact 9mm for home protection and eventual CCW. I have been rolling my own cast loads for practice and to familiarize myself with the gun. While I am not ready to step up to CCW just yet, I am ready to load the gun for home defense.

The first thing I did was search the Interwebs for articles of ammo reviews specific to my firearm. The next thing I did was to search for articles on self defense ammo in general. Finally, I made the huge mistake of looking at the selection of defensive ammo on MidwayUSA.

Frankly, buying 10 boxes of this stuff to put through my gun is outside my budget. The best I can currently do is buy one box to shoot through it to ensure it functions, and one to load into the mags for use should a threat enter my home.

Now I realize this is a hornets nest here, but I am willing to take the chance. I need a a little advice on picking one of the seven gazillion options available.

One author felt that 125 grain ammo would not expand well at velocities typical for subcompact barrels. Of course there is ammo specifically designed for these barrel lengths now so...

I was considering one of the following but am open to anything...other than handloads.
    • Cor-Bon DPX Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 115 Grain DPX Hollow Point Lead-Free
    • Barnes TAC-XPD Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 115 Grain TAC-XP Hollow Point Lead-Free
    • Cor-Bon Self-Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 90 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding

What I want to hear is, "That Hornady stuff is amazing!" because it is cheaper and comes in boxes of 25 :) Seriously, I would like to hear some honest opinions about ammo selection, and maybe some anecdotal evidence of performance in specific firearms etc. Anything you are willing to contribute would be appreciated.

Banned

Boolit Master
    look at federal hst, expanded they look more like some tarantula shaped artwork than a hollow point. there's several versions in 9mm hst I think one is mentioned for short barrels specifically. but whatever your looking at buying youtube could probably show you it in ballistic gell with high speed camera.

Boolit Grand Master
    Look at mousegunsandgear online. Many gel tested loads to compare in 9mm short barrels.

Make that mousegunaddict

Here's three youtube channels to check out. There's all kinds of test barrel lengths and ammo choices here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv2...7pjF4WnkMzA3dw (tnoutdoors9)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...afjZNE_dG8BshA (shootingthebull410)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQN...z3AlvY74jwflIg (scubaoz)

This is by no means everything you'll find on youtube but it's a good place to start.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    Forget the notion of a "magic" bullet. Having a "perfect" ammunition in the gun will not substitute for good shot placement. That said, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Every one of the loads you have listed is well tested. Anyone of them will likely do what you want it to do. I would ask your local police officers what they are issued, and if you can, buy that. If you can't get what the police use, or if they won't divulge that information to "civilians," then just pick one, buy a couple of boxes and try it in your gun. If it works, buy a couple more boxes and try them. If even one doesn't work in YOUR gun, stop-try something else. Repeat until you find one that always works in your gun and is accurate. Develop a reload that hits at about the same place on the target and shoot a bunch of them. Improving your skill level is more important than having the perfect load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    The Hornady has been reliable and accurate out of my 3 9mm handguns.

Boolit Master

I have hornady extreme defense in my 38, hornady American gunner (xtp bullet) in both 380's and hornady American gunner in both 45's. I reload for all of these and have several partial remaining boxes of more expensive ammo (barnes, gold dot, sabre). The hornady has never failed to feed, never shed a jacket in testing, and every one I have ever recovered from any medium, dirt or critter up to large dog, expanded to exactly 1.5 original diameter.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    An emt I talked with says that the bullet track for all of them is nearly identical.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    An emt I talked with says that the bullet track for all of them is nearly identical.
    since when have EMT's started doing post morten exams? lol

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    That tnoutdoors9 dude on Youtube has many good gel tests through denim, a lot of 9mm stuff, and some short barrel tests. I chose the HST from Federal. One of the most consistent I saw. Velocity was what they claimed too, and that is not always the case.

In Remembrance
    I view things in a real simplistic manner.

It's all about "Terminal Performance" with what happens "After" the bullet hits its target. Things are the way they are and with "Hype" the way it is folks are lead to believe that a 9mm is advertised to take out a tank.

There's what's called "Stress fire" in any given situation that requires a person to do what they really don't want to do. Accuracy is key and hitting that bullseye at 25' all the time isn't the same as doing it in a "Stress Fire" situation. Shot placement is key.....but if the other person is doped up on God knows what the results are going to be different.

My way of thinking is the slow heavy object wins the contest, that is if shot placement is done right.

So as far as the "So called" performance ammo is concerned......they put a fancy name on it and make claims to get more of what's in your wallet into thiers. Marketing works pretty well to those that want to believe.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Im guilty of just carrying regular 124gr 9mm ball factory ammo. in my 380 its handloaded 92gr lead with slightly more powder than my practice rounds. With the 2 small pistols I conceal carry I worry more about getting hits on target then GTFO.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

The fact is that all self defense ammo from major manu's will work just fine. It comes down to personnal preference.

In my pocket and light weight firearms I prefer Federal Low Recoil. In others a Gold Dot or the like
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

All gone d stuff. I appreciate it! I am going to try not to overthink it...but I will still have to watch some of those videos

Boolit Master

it is over whelming, don't worry about it to much, about half of jhps fail to expand at hand gun velocities, so double and triple tap, why BECAUSE YOU FEARED FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!. also it's nice if our selected jhps are match grade accurate, 8.5 ×11 is the nra standard for combat accuracy, you know what else is 8.5 ×11 a human thoracic cavity!
    also best thing to.do is call your LOCAL PD and ask what their duty ammo is, I carry speer gold.dots cause it's what my county sheriff issues, that answer will shut down a prosocuter if heaven forbid your involved in a shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    If this helps - in the legal portion of our ccw class - the attorney that gave it said to ask what local law enforcement uses - and use that. He cited lots of reasons - but that helped narrow my choices. Our local law enforcement uses speer gold dot. Now you just need to narrow down to 115, 125 or 147 grain. Personally - I don't think you could go wrong with any of those.

Banned

"...best thing to.do is call your LOCAL PD and ask what their duty ammo is, I carry speer gold.dots cause it's what my county sheriff issues, that answer will shut down a prosocuter if heaven forbid your involved in a shooting."

This is complete nonsense. Ayboob has brainwashed too many people.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "...best thing to.do is call your LOCAL PD and ask what their duty ammo is, I carry speer gold.dots cause it's what my county sheriff issues, that answer will shut down a prosocuter if heaven forbid your involved in a shooting."

This is complete nonsense. Ayboob has brainwashed too many people.
    please explain? there are times when it's not a good choice like when the dummies in Detroit made the PD switch to fmjs, but for the most part it's one good.solution, and I wasn't taught that buy Ayboob, so your are wrong on top of being snarky and uncivilized, what than is your best solution when the op stated buy 10 brands is out of his budget? I'm sure it's brilliant so tell us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast