RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Bullet Puller

Boolit Master
    “Pulling down 7.62x25mm Tokarev LSC Czech SMG ammo on 8 rd. clips” saga:

In 1990’s purchased several cases “hard primers, unreliable” stuff to pull down.

Looong ago used an inertial puller for 1000 rd. each Paragon .380 ACP and 9mm pulldown project.
    But failed for this Czech ammo! Upgraded, stronger version of GONRA might have verked?

So, gotta Hornady Cam-Lock puller from Midway.
    (Noticed afterward, Hornady markets this for RIFLE boolits!)
    Pulled these PISTOL boolits but scared ‘em up. Bet its Just Fine for rifle boollits!
    (Custom collet would have verked!).

My (well used) olde Forster-Appelt Collet Style Bullet Puller (eyeballs same as current Forster product) verked PERFCTLY in my Lee Classic Cast Press 90998 .
    No rotating collet screw handle interference like in my Hollywood press.

Proper Forster setup is tricky. Be sure to grease the collet screw threads also cam nose end of collet.
    (NOT inside the collet!)
    Screw in the die until loading press handle movement is present when starting
    to tighten the boolit collet screw on a loaded cartridge with loading press ram “all the way up”.
    This means the collet will have maximum possible “boolit grip length”.

Needed a huge open end/adjustable wrench with looong jaws to bear on the boolit collet screw lever,
    to properly tighten the collet screw so collet didn’t slip off the boolit.
    Again, an upgraded, stronger version of GONRA might have just have grabbed the Forster lever?
    Anyway, made perfect “no mar” pulls.

Can afford to have plenty of “setup screwups” in salvage projects like this.
    Not always the case when “pulling down precious reloads” of course.
    For me, any scarred boolits are great for Initial Handload Development.

So, find a puller and develop a technique to suit for YOUR particular situation.
    Try to plan ahead to garner all the pull down stuff you need BEFORE tearing down the setup.
    Once you get a successful pulldown process, may be difficult to setup “as well” again.

Boolit Master

Well, the threaded cap on my kinetic puller cracked, and the top of the cap flew off. A quick call to RCBS, and a replacement is on the way. No questions asked. Great customer service!

That thing has pulled at least 1000 bullets.

Boolit Master
    If the case holder in a kinetic puller breaks, a reloading press shell holder works even better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    If the case holder in a kinetic puller breaks, a reloading press shellholder works even better.
    You're right that it does work, but should never be done with a loaded round. It is sloppy contact with the cartridge, and at the right combination of angles, the primer can find its way to a protruding corner or the holder and bad things can happen. The collet that comes with the puller keeps the primer clear of influence.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_161919_936.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	190009
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_161933_943.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	190010
    My bullet pulling setup
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    Your OP shows its for a Coax press, so the RCBS won't allow you to tighten the collets. Would have to be the Hornady or the Forster that was made for the Coax press. The lock ring has an extended cross bolt to allow the collet to be adjusted without the die spinning. The Hornady would be the easiest since it only takes the lever to adjust and lock onto the bullets.
    http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...ullet-pullers/
    The RCBS collet can be used in a CO-AX. You just have to tighten the collet onto the bullet, then put it all in the press. The shell holder will snap,over the case rim when you raise it. Works for me. I usually use a kinetic though, it's just faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123