RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please talk me out of primer filler

Boolit Buddy

Please talk me out of primer filler

So I've been loading some 9mm today (1k) on my 650 and it dawned on me - I'm not really liking plucking them primers on the other hand the improvement is over $300 . Can owners chime in and talk me out of it or tell me resistance is futile

Boolit Master

I use the Frankford arsenal primer tube filler. Q cheap enough and I can fill a tube in less than a minute.

Boolit Master

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/890...er-tube-filler

On clearance at MidwayUSA for $29.58

Banned

and its just as reliable if not more reliable then the 300 dollar dillion
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I use the Frankford arsenal primer tube filler. Q cheap enough and I can fill a tube in less than a minute.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Dillon, not worth the time to use it. It just sits

Banned

heck I got 2 of them. [one big one little]
    pour, push, do something else, come back.
    I keep 10 tubes of each size primer pre-filled for the presses.
    I also use them to refill my rcbs bench priming tool tubes.
    I got better things to do than poke,poke,poke.
    the only primers I have tried the fillers didn't like was wolf small rifle, they tended to tip over and stick sideways in the tube.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for alternatives, folks, I'll definitely take a look at those. Somehow I've thought Dillon's primer filler is the only game in town
    EDIT: Just looked at vibra-prime looks like an awful lot of negative reviews, but it's 1/10th of the price of Dillon. Decisions, decisions

Boolit Master

I suspect that filling primer tubes increases my cost of reloading since that is a good time to stop and grab another beer... <burp>

Boolit Grand Master

I have returned two vibraprimes because they were complete junk. They would not feed either size reliably. Tried all the "tricks" out there and nothing worked. It doesn't take me long to load a tube by hand. I can't justify paying what Dillon wants. Maybe if I was loading tens of thousands a day. But filling ten tubes doesn't take long.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience with different tools; that's exactly what I was looking for.

Boolit Grand Master

Sooner or later arthritis or carpel tunnel will show you the value of a goofy tool to do the mundane tasks.
    If it allows me to load tubes without cramps, it's a Godsend.
    I don't mind tinkering, having worked forever in plastics I expect to find minor problems, especially at that price.
    mm
    Information not shared. is wasted.

My Frankford Arsenal Vipraprime works about 70% of the times PERFECTLY. When it jams, it's like one of the primers were too big and doesn't fit in the tube hole..

I just wish it would work everytime.

It is one of those tools that are ALMOST there but not quite.
    --------
    SISU

Boolit Master
    The Frankfort vibraprime filler works great, once you get used to it. Some brands of primers do not feed through it for anything, they just get hung up and won't drop into the tube no matter how hard you shake it. CCI, S&B primers feel through it like butter. Remington and Winchester primers hang up pretty bad.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, tja6435, that's good info, cause I have quite healthy stash of Win SPP...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    My Frankford Arsenal Vipraprime works about 70% of the times PERFECTLY. When it jams, it's like one of the primers were too big and doesn't fit in the tube hole..

I just wish it would work everytime.

It is one of those tools that are ALMOST there but not quite.
    My experience was the same. Not worth the hassle.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Frankford arsenal and I don't use it. It didn't work reliably and with the problems it was faster to do it by hand.

Banned

I hate stuff that don't work properly.
    I can't imagine how much time the Dilon tube fillers saved me on the run of 10-K 9mm's I just done.
    I re-filled the sp tubes again and started on a bunch of 40's right afterwards, but I'm also slowly working on 4-K 45 acp at the same time on the Dillon press right next to it.
    I just wander in and out 1-2 times a day and make 1-200 hundred rounds, which recently has been not too often since I am working on loads for almost all of my shot shells.
    they go a bit quicker on the Ponsess warrens and the motions on them and the Dillon 550's are so super similar so there is no mistakes or flubs in the fluid hand motions.
    anyway the point is if I had to stop and poke primers I couldn't keep both 550's I'm currently using going and find the time to keep the shot shell presses going at the same time and maintain any type of life outside the reloading rooms.

Holy cow R5R...pulling those handles K's of times...your right arm must be the size of your thigh!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

my take on the Dillon is this. If it worked I would have kept mine. I was more then willing to shell out 400 bucks for the set up. Anything that can save me time I like. But it was nothing but a headache. I had it back to Dillon twice and it still didn't work. They suggested a adjustable rheostat. I bought one and it made it a tad better but still a complete headache. I love Dillon stuff. I buy ALOT of it and think its the best bang in loading gear on the market but not that filler. I ended up returning it and getting my money back. To be honest I would have returned it if I would have paid a 100 bucks for it. Yes the FA isn't perfect. Theres a learning curve to it. I think most who hate them never really gave them a good chance. I still get an occasional upside down primer if I'm not paying attention but for the most part I could load 2 tubes in the time I did one on the Dillon and if you use progressive presses long enough you kind of get used to the fact they aren't perfect. NONE of them. Yup its a 100 percent reliable to sit there with a tube and pluck primers into it but id rather spend that time shooting. Until someone comes up with something that's better then a 1050 ill call it the best progressive press on the market and until someone comes up with a primer tube filler better then a FA ill call it the best. In the case of the 1050 I'm not going back to single stage loading because it might have a hiccup once a month and I'm not going back to plucking primers one at a time and ditching the FA unit. In my worse hour with a FA filler I can load twice as many tubes then I can by picking them up one at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd, can you please explain how it didn't work ? I've seen on youtube people were having issues and some of those were resolved by modifying spring under the tube.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast