MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: New mold tappers on the way

Boolit Grand Master

New mold tappers on the way

Was looking for some specialty tools ( not for molds or firearms) and cme across a very nice looking 5 ounce slim line dead blow hammer on Graingers sight. It is polyurethane coated so non maring. Head is 1" dia 3" long and 9" overall length. Should make a great mould tapper. Small size light and safe. I ordered 3 of them 1 for a friend 1 for me and 1 for loaner for new guys starting out with us. Bright oarnge in color so should be hard to lose even. Im thinking of using a leather boot lace to wrap the handle with a a laynard so it can just hang from my wrist when using the ladle. Save picking up and setting down each time. They should be here tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got mine at Harbor Freight and have been using it for about 6 years now. Really good Idea.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

The harbor frieght here and the site I checked only has the bigger full size heads. Ive made some dead blows with copper tubing lead shot with sopme powdered moly added. Soldered the head up with the shot in it Added a little moly top lubricate the shot and help it flow better. Leater end caps and a 10" wood handle that worked okay. The leather wore kind of fast. These are only 5 ounces and a 3" long head 1" in dia, the slimline model and 9" overall length. They came today and feel great in the hand. Im still thinking of a lanyard loop so it can hang from my wrist while Im using the ladle. Bright oarnge though so it does stand out alot. LOL. Its a very nice compact little tapper and the dead blow will make for more "Push" than strike. Should do a great job and not be tiring to use here

Boolit Master
    I have always liked the profile and feel of the RCBS Mold Mallet. All it is is some kind of hardwood shaped like a potato masher. Unfortunately, it's not a hard enough wood and it nicks and chips up a bit. So I took an old leather belt, wound it around and glued it in place with epoxy. It is one of the few "stupid" DIY projects that worked out better than I could have hoped. It's pretty much perfect. It's indestructible, heavy enough but not too heavy and won't even think about damaging or marring anything it comes in contact with.
    [

Boolit Master

Got mine from an oak tree out back,1.5"dia X 12".Been using for years and it still is hanging with me.Got a spare when it becomes nessary.

Vote Trump
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Abitnutz, WHen I was using the length of dowel rod and a nice hard maple on I turned up I would find a piece of the clear tygon plastic tubing the right size and press it over the working end to protect the wood If you want to get real fancy a piece over the handle with a leather boot lace looped and the tubing holding the ends makes a nice grip with a lanyard to hang it. I cast using the instructions given on Steve Brooks web site. I give the handles a couple light taps at the blocks to make sure they are seated together. The hammer works better for this than the dowels

Polypro rod or lead hammer for me

Depending on my mood, I use either a piece of hard polypro dowel about 12"x2" or an actual 1 lb lead hammer. I bought three of the lead hammers here for five bucks a piece years ago and still use them.
    My last casting session (multiple sessions) I did some 5000 9mm from an H&G #331 6 cavity mould. Whacking the big sprue plate requires a little bit of effort so the lead hammers come in handy.
    The hammers are rebar handled, and are from the H&G mould head. There is a piece of garden hose over the rebar that is glued in place to make the handle a bit more comfortable.
    I have to say that the lead hammers are a little heavy after a long casting session so I switch to the polypro dowel rod. Both work just fine.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I use a hickory hammer handle. Find something better can always use it to fix a hammer.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I bought one of Duke's mold tappers last year, then had a friend machine a piece of the " hardest plastic on planet earth" ( his words, not mine) then fit it to the tapper. Works wonderful, and I don't ruin a great looking tapper! Just change out this plastic piece if ever need, and done! Ready to go again! Guess it's all in what you learned with as I just used a cut off shovel handle for years. Duke needed help, so I ended up with two of his tappers, one for me and one for my casting buddy! Abitnutz, I like the belt idea.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!