RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Peep windage adjustment/mod?

Boolit Mold

Peep windage adjustment/mod?

I have a flip up rear aperture (as pictured) on my Mod 8. Also, there's a flip up rear buckhorn style sight on the barrel shroud.
    I've zeroed using Lever-revolutions, to (pretty amazing) success, as I posted here:
    http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsocie...6313ef4#p16085
    My method was to drift the front & adjust elevation of the peep for a 200yd zero, then coincide the flip up buckhorn & zero that to the front sight for 100yds & in... very effective!

Now tho, I have a problem when I switched over to a 200gr gas checked cast boolit (over 18.5gr SR-4759, about 1600fps, by the book). I've noticed a general tendency of the cast to impact high & right, when fired from rifles zeroed for jacketed. Still a great group, just a change in POI. I guess this has something to do with the twist rate & lower velocity of the cast.

The issue is the front sight now must be drifted so far right to get back to zero, the sight is almost falling out (also as pictured). Which, of course, means the rear buckhorn must also now be drifted far right to coincide.

Does anyone know of any way, or method or modification, to get some windage adjustment in this rear peep so I can get everything back to center??
    Sure, the obvious solution is just to go back to the Lever-revolutions, but I shoot the Mod 8 a lot, and cast is way less expensive, and I have no qualms about using them on deer either!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	175105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	175106
    Thanks in advance!

I mounted a Lyman tang sight on my 100+ year old 94 Winchester .32-40 that shot left. I placed, IIRC, 3 layers of aluminum foil under the left side of the base and retightened the mounting screws. It put point of impact dead center at 100 yds. I trimmed the foil with a razor blade and is barely noticeable.
    Last edited by bosterr; 08-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shimming one side of the base is the normal answer for guns with a straight tang, i.e. lever actions and single shots, I don't know how well the shimmed base will mate up with the back of your receiver, but it is something to try.

Robert

I would find out if a new Marble's tang peep sight has enough windage adjustment to accommodate the changes your wish to make, every time you change ammo types.

I would suggest that you call Marble's Outdoor's customer service dept to discuss your needs.

Boolit Master
    You drifted both sights in the same direction?

Boolit Mold
    This peep doesn't have any windage adj... its base is contoured to the hump on the receiver & held with one screw. Once the front sight is drifted to center the groups to the peep, when I drop the peep to use the buckhorn, that now has to be drifted as well to coincide with the front sight. Peeps for mod 8's seem to be pretty rare/expensive, so I don't know how easy it would be to find one with windage adjustment... IF they were ever made with that in the 1st place.

Boolit Grand Master

Front sight adjust opposite the need correction rear sight in the direction of correction. You can cant the peep by shimming but this puts the staff at an angle and may only be right at one distance. Error X sight radious / range in inches will give you a very close estimate how muh sights need to be moved. If the sight has no windage adjustments slotting the screw hole might gain what you need but it may want to follow the fitted radious of the tang. SHiming might work also. Figure how much the rear appeture has to move then the ration of base width to hieght of appeture if appeture is 1" hiegh and base is 1/2 wide the appeture will roughly move over double what the shim used is. The issue with the cast loads is more barrel harmonics and barrel time. a little load work may find a load that prints closer to where you want to be, by varing velocity and bullet weight.

Boolit Mold
    I guess shimming will be my next step. I'm already happy w/ the load development (no leading, tight groups, reliably works the Mod 8 action)... plus, as I found here, there's no way I'm going to mod the peep site base!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman at.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	175423