Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30-30 midget

Boolit Grand Master
    Hamish

It is a 357max case with a 30-30 length neck. From the base to the beginning of the shoulder, it is about 357mag case length.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Hamish

It is a 357max case with a 30-30 length neck. From the base to the beginning of the shoulder, it is about 357mag case length.
    Sorry, I should have been clear on what I was asking. I was trying to find out what you did to the Max case to form it like that. 300 BO FL die?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

30X357 Max as done by Jim Rock
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    why a wildcat? At the end of the day, you are better off with a standard chambering. A wildcat just is more problems and expense and usually no gain over what is already available and the resale is better on factory chamberings. I was into wildcats back when there were advantages to them and I have a bunch of them. Any more, I would stick with standard chamberings. Something like a 357 maximum, and you don't have to load it to maximum. If you already have a 30 caliber barrel, a 32-20 or the newer 30 caliber revolver cartridge, that is similar but probably has a stronger case.

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    why a wildcat? At the end of the day, you are better off with a standard chambering. A wildcat just is more problems and expense and usually no gain over what is already available and the resale is better on factory chamberings. I was into wildcats back when there were advantages to them and I have a bunch of them. Any more, I would stick with standard chamberings. Something like a 357 maximum, and you don't have to load it to maximum. If you already have a 30 caliber barrel, a 32-20 or the newer 30 caliber revolver cartridge, that is similar but probably has a stronger case.
    I can only speak as to the .30 Badger as that's the only one I have but I disagree completely with that.
    Reamer will cost about the same. Dies cost the same. Bullets, same. Brass? Yeah. .38 Special brass is all but free. 32/20 brass is high, WHEN you can find it. Buying factory 32/20 ammo is outrageous.
    There is a very real cost savings that makes it well worth it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ion-to-7-62x39 Some good info there. With a larger dia. case, more powder but the above states that there may be a pressure problem for the cadet. I posted the BO pic to show you can get pretty heavy slugs in the BO case & IMHO a longer neck is not needed. I don't know why the 30/30 has the long neck, to cover up lube grooves when it was using cast boolits? Did see a youtube of a rimless converted cadet, may have been BO or x39?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I've run the 30 US Carbine case thru a 32 s&w Long FL die which straightens the tapered carbine case out but leaves it 30cal.
    With the taper removed the case becomes a rimmed case.
    You have to lathe trim the base in front of the rim as the FL die won't quite reach the base to swage it down. I've never gotten any further than that with it, but it seems like a possibility for an long straight rimmed 30.
    Might be something that'd fit the Cadet nicely.

Interesting thread..

Boolit Buddy
    Back when the earth was young, I believe Winfield Arms sold some Cadets in .32 Special. If so, it's quite likely that it could handle the .30/30, which is an excellent cast boolits cartridge in its own right. I also have been toying with the idea of a reduced capacity .30/30. I've taken some .223 brass, rounded the butt end, drilled out the primer pocket, and shortened it to .9xx inch. I then tapped them into .38/55 cases and reformed them to .30/30. This would give me a reduced capacity case, yet I could used standard ammo if desired. Most of the cases had a cannelure and collapsed on forming. Those without reformed perfectly, although I only have seven of them. I hope to try them out soon in my C. Sharps 1875.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Boolit Master
    The story on the 30 Johnson claims 1000 shots with just 2 cases and they still show little wear! WOW
    Aaron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123