Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning a flintlock, what cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by formernuke View Post

No soap and water because I will not do any cleaning at home, rather at the range which doesn't always have water available

Can you fill an empty jug with water ?

That said, at the range, I always flush out the bore with a cleaning patch soaked in Moose Milk (Ox-Yoke Bore Cleaner), for several strokes while also ensuring that the cleaner dribbles out of the ignition hole - then dry the bore with as many clean/dry patches as it takes, before lubing the bore via running in another new patch, loaded with BoreButter 1000+.

Boolit Master
    Funny where these ideas come from. Very sure ole George Washington used soap & water back in the day.

Fly

Boolit Grand Master

I use balistoll and water to clean black powder. Windex with vinegar works good also for wiping quick cleaning. I have a spray bottle of ballistol water in my range box a couple squirts brush and patch usually 3-4 patches to a clean patch. Once home I wipe down and clean again with shooter choice for lead or stubborn fouling. Then I protect the barrel inside with a patch and the bullet lube Im using. The outside gets wiped down with oil.

Boolit Master
    After wash with Lehigh Valley Lube & Bore Cleaner (Track of the Wolf product)and a hot hot water rinse & reasonable dry patching. I simple rod my barrels with Mink Oil Tallow (Track of the Wolf product) between weekly shootings or Barricade a moisture displace'er for year long storage. (barricade has solvent/s)

Recommended barrel cleaners.
    1. Dawn detergent dish soap.
    2.Murphy Oil Soap.
    3. Ballistol Sportsman oil.
    4. Lehigh ValleyPatchLube & Bore cleaner (Track of the Wolf product)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    if ya can't/won't/don't want to take them home & clean them right mayhaps BP shootin' is not the hobby for you.
    could be some really good advice,

I know for years we boiled our cap&ball revolvers,after shooting but I've been using my own lube for about a year now and I clean them with dry patches,
    the front stuffer still gets hot water and dawn dish soap,after your done with the muzzleloader,what you have left in the pot works great to get rid of squash bugs in the garden ,just let it cool so you don't kill your plants.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 08-23-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No soap and water because I will not do any cleaning at home, rather at the range which doesn't always have water available
    Lehigh Valley Lube and Bore Cleaner ... https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../1/LUBE-LEHIGH

http://lehighvalleylube.com/index.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    this is my method as well. there is no need for soap or other chemical "cleaners". bp dissolves quite nicely in tepid tap water if you allow it to do its thing. fwiw, an excerpt on ml cleaning from noted gunsmith peter a. alexander's book "the gunsmith of grenville county" ...

I'm thinking a slight modification to this, bring a couple gallon jugs of water with me to the range some tubing and couple of fittings and I can make a natural siphon. Follow the rest dry, lube, take a clean rifle home and not have to worry about mini me getting into the dirty water.

Thanks

Banned

it's SO easy to perfectly clean any bp trad muzzleloader with just plain ol' water.

bp residue readily dissolves in air temperature water - everyone messing with bp guns from the 17th to 19th centuries knew that and used just that.

the only deviation i'll employ, is after a shooting session at the range or a woods walk, i run a sloppy wet patch with a 1:6 mix of ballistol:water down and out the barrel using the gun's ramrod, then spritz the lock with the same mix. this allows the bp to soften without concern for steel/iron rusting during the drive back to the ranch where the real cleaning gets done.

for the actual cleaning, read waksupi's post. follow up with some kinda oil down the bore and then wipe down all the gun's steel/iron with an oily rag.

done. don't need nothing else.

you wanna make it less easy, more time consuming, and more expensive, have at it.

FIRST! Real BP only.

Now about cleaning. Water - ambient temperature. 2 or 3 wet patches, spit is good. Plug the touch hole and fill the barrel w plain tap water. Now clean the lock and put up some of your stuff - targets, frames, etc. Pour water out and wipe w 2 or 3 water wet patches. Refill barrel and put the rest of the stuff up. Dump water and wipe w wet patches till clean. Now a healthy dose of WD40 (water displacer ). That eve or next day dry patch and then gun oil.

Damn! That's too hard, complicated and expensive ain't it?

P.S. wash and dry your used patches w your jeans. get a mesh bag used for ladies delicates or tie knots in a section of ladies nylons if those things can still be found.
    Ain't nothin hard of you have the right tools - and know how to use 'em.

Boolit Grand Master

My barrel has a patent breach and pulls out of the stock easily (Lyman Great Plains). I fill a plastic dish pan with soapy water, put the breach of the barrel in the water, and with a tight wet patch simply suction water in and out of the barrel like a pump. Dry and oil. Easy.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance
    "No water at the range".....then take an empty soda bottle and fill it with water. The water doesn't have to be hot, the heat just dries the bore quicker. As others have said, the salts in BP residue need to be flushed out. Can't get any cheaper (or better!) than that. The detergent just cuts the grease from lubed patches, if you use them.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Local auto shop sells a product called "Start ya Bastard" which is an aerosol can of ether. Very handy first pass cleaner!
    Appropriate product name! Had pancakes coming out my nose on that one! :O)

Boolit Buddy
    I use the soapy method like everybody else when I clean my rifles. Another cleaner that works well is the blue window cleaner sold at walmart. It's a windex knock off. I use this on my stainless old army. Just melts the fouling off. You can try that.
    Siamese4570

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12