Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: calling wood workers!

Boolit Master

calling wood workers!

Ok I have tons of oak logs from trimming 2 years ago and looking to make *something* for my wife for our anniversary out of it. Anyone recommend some neophyte level projects that might be doable in a week? Easiest I've seen is just bark removal sand and stain - call it an end table. I really want to save the larger piece to make my smithy stand out of so I'm looking for any thoughts. 5th anniversary is wood so anything goes here gents! Picture frames seem the easiest but lame.....
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Do you have room in the kitchen for a butcher block type table? Three legs under it and finish the sides leaving the top sanded smooth.

Perma-Banned
    a log cabin? a chainsaw carvin' of a bear? totem pole? cigar store Indian? the possibilities are endless.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Do you have room in the kitchen for a butcher block type table? Three legs under it and finish the sides leaving the top sanded smooth.

I do not =/ most of the house is pretty tight except the dining room and living room (I sold the dining room table!) .

My current ideas revolve around doing a lamp of somekind, or cutting a nice 1" piece off and making a clock. I know lame....but gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    a log cabin? a chainsaw carvin' of a bear? totem pole? cigar store Indian? the possibilities are endless.
    Log cabin is planned...I need the land to put it on first though! My chainsaw carving skills are lacking a bit....I *thought* my ice sculpture of a knight chess peice was awesome but the teacher couldn't tell what it was....

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Yup firewood and take her someplace special (dinner /show) !

Boolit Master
    Entry level stuff.
    Napkin holder
    Coasters
    Paper towel holder
    Spice racks that attach to inside of cabinet doors.
    Cutting boards, but I wouldn't use oak.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Banned

build a bed.
    simple, square, and mostly drilling and shaving is involved.

Boolit Master
    Whiskey barrel

Toothpicks are easy ....
    If you didn't seal the ends check for cracks ( end checks ) work around as needed
    Picture frames and many other projects leads me to suggest making lumber out of some of it first ,not knowing the size of the logs precludes some ideas but ... Split one in half smooth the top add 4 short legs and you'll have a rustic heavy bench
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Make a trivet out of a 8" square piece of oak, 3/4" thick. cut a series of 1/2" deep kerfs on one side, equally spaced, all going the same direction. Turn the piece over, then rotate 90 deg, and repeat the kerfs. You could use a round over router bit on all the edges before cutting the kerfs, too. Sand lightly and put 3 coats of polyurethane varnish.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I 've seen a few beautiful floor lamps made from logs where the branches branch out.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master
    A table lamp isn't too hard to make. Take about a two inch thick slice from an eight inch round log, and use a three to five inch diameter piece for the upright. Drill somke though holes for the wiring before assembling, may want to put the wire in before gluing things together.

Gnarly wood looks better than smooth straight grained pieces. The toughest part is coming up with a shade that matches.

Robert

Boolit Master

Hey your in Texas,get her a smoker and stack up logs cut to fit it, then give her a brisket to cook for The Dinner, humm guess I didn't know five was wood,don't remember that far back these days,any idea what 45years is?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Der...you could use some of that oak to build a fire in the back yard, throw a sleeping bag out with a bottle of wine some coat hangers and weenies n marshmellows...and 'make love' instead!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance
    Man only five years, she can't even expect you to remember it in that short amount of time, just forget it and you won't even be out the peice of flowers.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you had any of it cut into boards? Do you have equipment? If you want to make a clock go to clockkit.com and dream. They have everything you need. A lot of what you do depends on the form of the wood and the equipment you have. Lamps are easy, but take my advice and build the lamp but let her choose the shade!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Have you had any of it cut into boards? Do you have equipment? If you want to make a clock go to clockkit.com and dream. They have everything you need. A lot of what you do depends on the form of the wood and the equipment you have. Lamps are easy, but take my advice and build the lamp but let her choose the shade!
    I can buy boards if I need to, was just trying to find something simple to make at home. This collection of logs is ~12-18" long and varies in thickness. Been aged about 2 years now. I use it for bbq all the time, but my smoker has officially rusted out and fallen apart. It is next on the list of things to replace "eventually".

Table saw is also on my list of things to buy so I can rip cut them in to useful pieces. My original plan was to make a knife and a handle for it from my tree, but the knife making will take me a bit longer than I'd planned.

Yall know I was gonna make dinner either way! Trip to Sam's club is in the works for a nice juicy tenderloin, some twice baked potatoes, and roasted veggies.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm a bit lacking in the creativity department so I appreciate all the ideas. I can usually figure out how to do stuff once I've seen it, but don't really think of it on my own.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    Toothpicks are easy ....
    If you didn't seal the ends check for cracks ( end checks ) work around as needed
    Picture frames and many other projects leads me to suggest making lumber out of some of it first ,not knowing the size of the logs precludes some ideas but ... Split one in half smooth the top add 4 short legs and you'll have a rustic heavy bench
    I'll rig up my chainsaw to rip cut a log and see if a chair is doable. Thanks! Would make a nice toddler size one out of what I have, and give my son somewhere to sit while he watches me cast boolits.

Thanks Yall!

Banned

I have the Alaskan mill for my chain saw. I cut planks of white oak and made this for Carol.Attachment 175056 Then the coffee table in the family room. Also my lathe bench.
    I have a good Ridged saw with every home made thing to cut anything. A planer, jointer and sanders. You need tools.
    Moisture will be your enemy. I found to pre cut and stack, sticker in my basement for a month or more stopped wood from changing, same with rifle stocks. Moisture down here runs 34% to 41%. You need a moisture meter to see.
    No easy way. The worst is to not stabilize so when you build, wood swells or cracks.

Banned

Aged outside will beat you. NOT good. Rain and sun. Make wood stable and dry. I don't even trust wood stored in the barn. A rifle stock will sit in my basement for months before I work it.
    Yeah you can make a table with rough sawn but it will split. There is a solution made from anti freeze that will stabilize green wood. Ethylene Glycol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast