Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballisti-cast. What's the deal?

Boolit Bub

Ballisti-cast. What's the deal?

I've been searching for some hours trying to get a bead on if this company is still running, certainly the webpage is not. Some threads indicate they went out of business, others that the company was sold and has yet to resurface and yet others discussing their mark X ballistic-cast machine, manufactured in 2015...

I did find several threads referring to the family being locked out of the factory by the dad and get the general sense of much unfortunate drama. Could folk here clarify?I would like to buy some of their equipment at some stage as I'm sure others would.

Given the current climate I would think shooting related business should be doing well, all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The company who bought them that I mentioned in another thread. Northern Valley Ballistics.

http://www.nvballistics.com/

Boolit Master

$408 for a 4-cavity hand mold? $638 for a 10-cavity? Daaaaang! Who do these people think they are? Can I price my 8 and 10 cavity H&G molds that high?
    At one with the gun.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Ballisti-Cast, under Sand management, was a clusterflop. There are still several CB members who got screwed in a Mold Group Buy.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Who was running the co. In late 2015? I had them design and make a .54 cal. Maxi-hunter mold and received it within two months. I had to wait for production of magma style blocks and spruce plate.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Who was running the co. In late 2015? I had them design and make a .54 cal. Maxi-hunter mold and received it within two months. I had to wait for production of magma style blocks and spruce plate.
    Bill.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    I shot NV a email and they do not have any ties with Ballisti-cast anymore. They did say that they are developing a hand caster machine, but given their current prices I could only imagine what that would run. "Master caster knockoff $10,999" anyways anyone got a mark x for sale???

Boolit Bub
    i own 2 ballsiti-cast mrk 2's and have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing or i guess trying to deal with NVM or NVballistics but they really suck at everything. i would advise you to not buy anything NVM or B-C because no parts will be available for maintenance and the mrk2 eat parts like animals. they have been BSing about making a new machine for over a year now. they goofed up the mark X it is a total piece compared to the vi or iv the older ballisti-cast hand caster. they dont understand bullet casting they are a machine shop that got contracted to make stuff for the guy that bought B-C and dont have the knowledge to compete every time i called them and talked about machines i got off the phone like *** just happened did they really say those things these guys are on drugs or something. talking about plc controlled with save able perimeters like damn its NOT that complicated. the guys at NVM are on a total mind trip through lala land and if they do make something it will fail like they did before. i would leave them alone. if your looking to spend 2000+ on a used markx just save up more and get a old bullet master it will be 10000x worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AbluquerqueBullet,LLC View Post
    i own 2 ballsiti-cast mrk 2's and have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing or i guess trying to deal with NVM or NVballistics but they really suck at everything. i would advise you to not buy anything NVM or B-C because no parts will be available for maintenance and the mrk2 eat parts like animals. they have been BSing about making a new machine for over a year now. they goofed up the mark X it is a total piece compared to the vi or iv the older ballisti-cast hand caster. they dont understand bullet casting they are a machine shop that got contracted to make stuff for the guy that bought B-C and dont have the knowledge to compete every time i called them and talked about machines i got off the phone like *** just happened did they really say those things these guys are on drugs or something. talking about plc controlled with save able perimeters like damn its NOT that complicated. the guys at NVM are on a total mind trip through lala land and if they do make something it will fail like they did before. i would leave them alone. if your looking to spend 2000+ on a used markx just save up more and get a old bullet master it will be 10000x worth it.

Everything said here is my exact experience with them as well. Go magma don't look back

Boolit Man
    Maybe we could make a kit for a DIY caster, I do have a few ideas.

Boolit Buddy
    Search this forum for automated master caster. Hatch, Wyman,and others have figured out a system to automate the master caster for mass production.

Boolit Grand Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0TWNmgEMnM

This is intriguing. I like the use of a motor as it is quiet and there is no need for an air compressor, cylinders, brackets, valves. A simple foot switch to operate the drive would allow stopping the machine if there is an issue with the orifice or a bullet stuck in the mold. A solenoid for the lead drop could be operated with one hand. KISS

After seeing this, I am going to purchase a Master Caster. If I decide to add an auto-drive. there should be surplus drive units that will not break the bank (under $300). I am thinking that something similar to the PW auto-drive is the way to go, but it probably needs to be more powerful. The PW Auto-drive/linkage system does not require position sensors or a reversing motor. I have one on a PW 800+ and it works very well. Note the PW unit does have reverse, and it comes in handy when reloading, but I do not think the feature is needed on a casting machine.

I have never used a Master Caster so I am not sure if mold tappers are necessary but I suspect they are depending on the bullet mold design (sharp corners?)

Boolit Master
    I ran my auto master caster on Saturday doing 125rn, tappers were not needed, they dropped reliably. BUT a few weeks ago, i was doing 125con, tappers were needed as they just refused to drop every time. Different molds will work differently, i'd add the tappers, even if you don't switch them on each and every casting session. I smoked the mold often, it worked well for a time then started sticking.

I had plans of making another casting machine based on the MC design, but recently i have been considering making one based on the balisti-cast or magma system so i could use multiple molds at a time. Then complicate it with a PLC so i can run different weighted molds in one session (different lead drops and a chute to different buckets). Where do you draw the line at adding complexity to a system like balisti-cast sound like they want to do with their new models?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    $408 for a 4-cavity hand mold? $638 for a 10-cavity? Daaaaang! Who do these people think they are? Can I price my 8 and 10 cavity H&G molds that high?
    Sure. You can price them anywhere you like. You just won't find anyone interested in buying.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned

there molds are expensive but cast with one and in short order you will say there worth every penny. Back when I was buying them they cost just a bit more then an lbt but I never hurt one and have thrown out a number of wore out and damaged lbts. In my opinion the only mold that ever came close to the quality of a bc is back when Rob Applegate was making molds. His could have been used for jewelry by your wife and she wouldn't have complained.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Lloyd,

"Back when you were buying them" was what, 3 owners and how many different locations ago?

I honestly have no idea about the latest owners, I wish them well and hope they make a go of it.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

I bought them under the original H&G company the first and second owners of ballistic cast. Nothing since then. I know the quality remained the same through those three owners.

Boolit Master
    I find it interesting that people have bad experience with NVM.
    I have 2 Mark X machines built in 2013. run molds from Ballisti, Hardline, Accurate and NVM with no issues at all. Good communication from NVM and mold design and parts for the Mark X are available quickly. They respond and know what I want.
    They are 100% in my experience.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I agree with ausglock..my mark x built in 2015..no issues and great customer service..they built me several specialized molds. I thought were reasonably priced for what they were. Not cheap, but reasonable d.