WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee for 30 M1 Carbine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justwondering01 View Post
    Those of you using the 309-120 what COL are you using? I am having trouble with it allowing the bolt to close all the way. When I compare it to bullets I bought from Remmington, which close all the way, it seems that the shape is not as pointy.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=col+carbine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justwondering01 View Post
    Those of you using the 309-120 what COL are you using? I am having trouble with it allowing the bolt to close all the way. When I compare it to bullets I bought from Remmington, which close all the way, it seems that the shape is not as pointy.
    When seated out to 1.680". problems closing bolt; when seated to 1.670" or less, no problemo.

Don

Boolit Master
    Hi USSR,

I have seated them somewhere between 1.680 and 1.670" with no noticeable pressure problems.

Something just occurred to me; one of the guys (Beagle) wrote a great little piece over on Castpics (the link at the bottom of this page) and then click on the "Articles by members" in the index and then on "Cast in the m1 carbine. You'll get alot out of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Hi USSR,

I have seated them somewhere between 1.680 and 1.670" with no noticeable pressure problems.

Something just occurred to me; one of the guys (Beagle) wrote a great little piece over on Castpics (the link at the bottom of this page) and then click on the "Articles by members" in the index and then on "Cast in the m1 carbine. You'll get alot out of it.
    I don't have pressure problems when I load them long, I have a problem with the front driving band of the bullet sticking out too far from the case and sometimes not allowing the bolt to fully close.

Don

Boolit Master

seating boolit

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    I don't have pressure problems when I load them long, I have a problem with the front driving band of the bullet sticking out too far from the case and sometimes not allowing the bolt to fully close.

Don
    I would go ahead & seat it deeper until it will chamber. The case has a slight taper so your headspace should be no problem. I've used other boolits seated deeper and they fed OK.

If you get a chance, try the Lyman 311359 113 grain persuasion. It's the most accurate in my carbine and you won't have your problem with the bolt not closing then since it's a real pointy little number.

Boolit Buddy
    [eta]
    Beagle's article on casting for the M1 Carbine is here:
    http://www.castpics.net/memberarticl...%20Carbine.htm
    Lots of good info there.

Just rooting around in #45 Lyman reloading handbook (1970)
    Lyman mold #311576 (120gr; was originally designed for the M1 Carbine) is very similar to the Lee C309-120-R, but the drive bands on the Lee mold go much higher on the boolit nose than the Lyman design. Not surprising you'd have to reduce the OAL on the Lee boolit to get it to chamber.

Lyman #311410 is a plain base, two groove 130gr bullet which has a normal cast diameter of .313. The Lyman book suggests that this boolit is the best choice for the M1 Carbine. Lee doesn't have anything close to this boolit.
    Last edited by SierraWhiskeyMC; 08-22-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    311410 does ok as long as you keep it below 1600fps (about 10.5gr 2400). The lee 309-113rf will work well sized down to .308 or if you take the loaded round and round off the front band by rotating it in steel wool held between your fingers.

Boolit Mold
    I've been using 1.605 for my Inland with the Lee C309-120-R. Reliable feeding and (for a carbine) accuracy.

Kinda wished I had got in on the 6 cavity mold from the group buy, but I already had 2 of the 2-cavity molds.

I have had excellent results with the group buy mold in the 30 carbine. I like the idea of not needing a gas check - saves time and money.

I also use this mold for my Marlin 1894 32-20. I size bullets to .312 for both.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFEGO BACA View Post
    I have had excellent results with the group buy mold in the 30 carbine. I like the idea of not needing a gas check - saves time and money.
    That's the same mould I have. And, I agree, no need for a gas check in the .30 Carbine when you cast them hard.

Don

LOL yeah these 62 year old eyes don't shoot those iron sights like they did at 20, or even 40

I use both the Lee 113 FP and the 120 RN in my Universal. Same bullet. Just a little off the nose with the 113. Gp

The C309113F Lee works fine in my wife's Howa. I like flat nose boolits because I hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I use the 311410 130 gr. cast hard with 12.5 gr of IMR 2400. I get excellent accuracy and very reliable function. I've also used the 113 gr. Lee, but I'm not as happy with it. It just doesn't deliver as good accuracy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12