Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Broken Handles

Boolit Master

funny logic

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    OK - so I guess to say that the Lee handles are made of "pot metal" would be correct terminology. I did a little research on what other mfrs. handles are made of. This is what I came up with:

Lyman cast iron
    RCBS steel
    Saeco ductile iron castings

Everything does not need to be machined from a billet of solid steel to be a useful product. I own six sets of Lee handles and have used them extensively. I've never broken a set (I'm NOT saying they can't be broken - just that I've never broken a set).
    Bouncer50 - you should be able to have your handles brazed. If the break is close to a screw hole maybe they could build up a little metal and redrill the hole for you.
    Dutchman - obviously, you could have Lyman handles on the Lyman mould and RCBS handles on the RCBS mould - just curious as to why both moulds are wearing Lee handles.

edit: I have it on good authority that sintered steel is still steel. It's just formed instead of machined. The term "pot metal" refers to an alloy containing zinc (e.g. zamak).
    ir
    You're "good authority" is very wrong........try bending the pot metal handles, they will snap easily....then try it with another make....no way.....I think you are trying to make this into a Lee peeeing match, but I'm not buying it. Lee make the handles like they do because it is cheaper, period, it has nothing to do with strength.

Boolit Master

Sintered steel does not have those properties. It would be my guess (and it is just a guess) that Lyman's handles and Saeco's handles would do the same thing. The RCBS handles probably wouldn't. They aren't made to be put in a vice and bent anyway - they are intended to hold a bullet mould so that you can manipulate it to cast bullets. The handles Lee makes are absolutely without a doubt strong enough to do the job as intended. I know this to be fact because I own 6 pair of them and have used them quite a bit without breaking one of them. Choosing materials to manufacture a given item because of their cost is just sound business practice. As far as a "Lee peeeing match" - those are your words, not mine.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master

Having machined and reworked several manufacturers handles, from broken out small holes to repairing cracks and wear, Here is my observations. Lymans are softer and machine similar to cast iron when cutting filing, RCBS machine and file similar to boiler plate or forgings. The Lee 6 cavity handles are hard, had to open holes up for a mould with bigger screws and they cut with very small chips and very hard they seemed harder ( almost to the point of brittle. he one set I filed in to get better alighnment seemed the same, drawfiling produced very fine dust like chips. not the strings I normally see. While the Lees can be files it is hard on the file and produces more heat when cutting. They are all good handles and do the job.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a set of Lyman handles that loosened up early on, never was able to tighten them up. I started buying Lee handles after that and put them on every new mould until NOE started making them. NOE's handles may cost a bit more than Lee's but I'll put them on my favorite moulds and quite likely any new moulds. The wood handles don't come off and they just seem to work better, not sure why. Come to think of it I think I'm out of handles....again!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance

I have 2 pair of the `New and Improved` Lyman mold handles. The metal tangs are bent so the handles won`t close without hitting together at the ends. I cut the handles back to the first groove up from the bottom - problem solved! Now I have a broken tang on 1 set and I`m seeing tiny cracks on the other set. I`m thinking that these mold handles might make decent fishing sinkers?Robert

Boolit Master
    The material Lee uses is the same pot metal that is used on the Sprue plate handle that breaks frequently, luckily some folks have stepped up to make replacements out of steel.

Boolit Master
    I just got my lee mold handle two of them to try out. For my Lyman molds i will see for myself how they hold up compare to Lyman handles. Two Lees for the price of one Lyman handles.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=bouncer50;3759645]I just got my lee mold handle two of them to try out. For my Lyman molds i will see for myself how they hold up compare to Lyman handles. Two Lees for the price of one Lyman handles.[/QUOTE

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    I have had this problem with Lyman handles also. i have broken one by hitting the leg of the handle instead of at the pivot point. This was solved easily by removing the mold, cleaning it, and seasoning it. Then i installed it onto a set of handles made by Red River Rick. Problem was solved and i hit at the pivot point now. It was money well spent.
    Last edited by 762sultan; 08-28-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Originally Posted by MT Gianni
    AS a 25+ year caster with over 30 Lyman molds how are you breaking handles? I have yet to do so or come close.

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.....I have been casting balls and boolits since the early 70s, have umpteen different mold makes along with handles and have (knock on wood!) yet to break any. What are you doing to break handles? A light tap with a wooden striker usually gets any sticky boolit to fall from the mold, for me anyway.
    BINGO ! There are ways to cast that do not require beating the daylights out of the mold and handles. I have a 'used mold' buying habit. I need to quit but I can't stop but the number of mold abusers out there still amaze me.
    Chill Wills

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    I have had this problem with Lyman handles also. i have broken one by hitting the leg of the handle instead of at the pivot point. This was solved easily by removing the mold, cleaning it, and seasoning it. Then i installed it onto a set of handles made by Red River Rick. Problem was solved and i hit at the pivot point now. It was money well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I have 2 pair of the `New and Improved` Lyman mold handles. The metal tangs are bent so the handles won`t close without hitting together at the ends. I cut the handles back to the first groove up from the bottom - problem solved! Now I have a broken tang on 1 set and I`m seeing tiny cracks on the other set. I`m thinking that these mold handles might make decent fishing sinkers?Robert
    Is Lyman having these NEW handles imported ?

Photo below is from a recent Facebook post, when questioned, the person posting the photo claims he has arthritic thumbs and doesn't have a death grip.

Attachment 211944
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I have cast tons of boolits with the Lee 6 and Lyman handles. the only broken handle I have came to me in a trade/deal/? and is saved for parts.
    If you have to do more than tap gently on the hinge to release the boolits your mold needs attention/work and/or your temperature (s) are not right. I found that if I put slight pressure in spreading the handles with a light tap on the hinge, the boolits just pop out. rubbing a piece of wood (I use a pencil) along the edges of the mold cavities and lube grooves helps remove burs, occasionally the cavity (ies) need a quick polish with super fine compound.
    I found that a 4 oz leather mallet works great for casting and many things gun related.

I would convert a Lee before buying any expensive handles.

Boolit Master

Years ago when I first started casting, I bought a couple of new molds & handles from Lyman. Both handles broke early on. I just tap my molds lightly with a small rawhide hammer to release boolits. I NEVER beat any precision mold or tool. I called Lyman and they replaced both handles. Haven't broken a handle since, they may have just had a bad batch. Don't know if they'll do that today any more.

Boolit Master
    It should be pointed out that Lyman handles are made from either malleable cast iron(early) or ductile /SG cast iron (late)....and so cannot be welded without ruining the metal in the melt zone........these irons must be brazed with a high test filler ,such as nickel bronze.......IMHO RCBS handles are punched sheet steel,and there fore unbreakable in any possible use...If you flog your molds to death...expect breakages.

Boolit Grand Master

In industry "pot" metal is a aluminum zinc alloy that's cast to form. its gummy and not overly strong with out real pressure on the shot tube when casting. It cast around 1400*. Sintered metal is a powdered metal ( steel usually but also carbide or tungsten are also sintered) and formed in a die under high heat and pressure, usually to finished dimensions. It can be hard. Ball joints used to be forged and then for awhile were sintered metals formed. The sintered metal saves a lot of machining time deburring and finishing. I have the lee handles and had to thin the fingers a little. a file cut them regular filing wasn't near as effective as draw filing was. They were very tough. they are also magnetic so some form of steel.
    I actually prefer the locking handles until they were changed when sold. Now not as much.
    Actually the harder handles may be more of an issue since as hardness goes up so does brittleness. Maybe handles made from d-2 die steel would be best. But would be expensive.

Boolit Master
    Lee have gone for sinter components in a big way,and i suspect they have invested heavily in the technology,and intend to make maximum use.The small lee molds still have stamped steel handles,though.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Lee have gone for sinter components in a big way,and i suspect they have invested heavily in the technology,and intend to make maximum use.The small lee molds still have stamped steel handles,though.
    I wonder if the New base for the econo-Turret press and soon to be new base for the Pro-1000 is Sintered metal?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Originally Posted by MT Gianni
    AS a 25+ year caster with over 30 Lyman molds how are you breaking handles? I have yet to do so or come close.

BINGO ! There are ways to cast that do not require beating the daylights out of the mold and handles. I have a 'used mold' buying habit. I need to quit but I can't stop but the number of mold abusers out there still amaze me.
    Lyman handles are cast. Castings can have hidden voids and flaws. I wouldn't automatically blame the user.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I started casting in 71.was hand dipping from a home made pot in a potbelly stove. friend dropped my handles they broke through the screw hole. sent them back to lyman got a new set two weeks later. never broke another set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12