RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any love for the marlin / glenfield model 60s ?

Any love for the marlin / glenfield model 60s ?

I've had an old 1986 marlin model 60 for many years . 18 shooter with last shot hold open.
    Excellent squirrel medicine rifle.
    But .....
    Always wanted a better trigger.
    Enter arrowdodger and his KAT triggers, for the marlin and glenfields. .
    Ever shoot a good target grade two stage ?
    I'm telling ya, i love it !!!
    My old marlin always was a tack driver.
    But now ???
    She's so scary accurate, its almost miraculous . It's that good.
    Anyhoo, thoughts I'd give those of you with the old glenfields and model 60s a head's up.
    And as a bonus, ArrowDodger is THE marlin model 60 GURU. Anything wrong with your weapon. He can fix it.
    I scored an old glenfield squirrel stock rifle off gunbroker, 46 bucks i think..
    Ordered new springs. And new feed throat.
    Sent it all to ArrowDodger, he says she's one sweetheart of a shooter now.
    Happy to bring one of the finest. 22 autos back to life.
    Google ArrowDodger kat trigger.
    It's worth every penny.
    I simply cannot rave about the kat triggers more.
    Awsome.
    I sure love the old glenfields, just something about them . That calls to me.
    Have never seen one that wouldn't shoot good.
    Those microgrove barrels are fantastic.
    Back when i was a youngster, one of my uncles had an old squirrel stock glenfield.
    Us boys did our best to wear it out.
    Never did.
    Ised it many a nite coon hunting.
    As a squirrel rifle. It was the cats meow.
    I've lost track of that old glenfield, pretty sure one of my cousins has it.
    But. Thats ok.. I've bought two of them over the last few months.
    Fixings them up.
    Lotta fun.

Boolit Master

marlin Glenfield, my first 22, always shot well, just a year or so ago I refinished the stock and gave her new springs and she looks and shoots better I'll have to look into the new trigger!

Banned

A couple of years ago, I picked one up that was obviously an older one with real deep blue, a very nice Walnut stock and the gold plated trigger. Nice rifle and always works, which I hear some of the recent ones have reliability issues.

Good rifle, just doesn't do that much for me, my Winchester 72A gets most of my .22 rimfire shooting.

Boolit Master

I have one I bought new in the 90s that has been beat to death and still shoots great. Picked up a 77 in a pawn shop. Refinished and feed throat replaced and it is a tack driver too. Gave it to my son for Christmas. His first gun

Boolit Master
    Just got one recently! My son found the pieces and broken stock at my grandfathers house and he gifted it to us (he swore he had no idea where it came from). Quick change of screws and a new stock and it is a little tack driver. I have it set aside for my boys first "boyscout" rifle when he is old enough to go shooting. Has a bit of nostalgia being from PaPa too.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Great little rifle! Just got to make sure to keep the action clean, though. I love being able to load up the tube with the 7 chute/ 15 rounds quick loader.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511...-polymer-clear
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 08-21-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Any love for them? Oh, my yes! I have a like new specimen of that very model, the one with the squirrel and acorns on the stock. I used bolt action .22s for many years, but once got the bug to have a semi-auto. I purchased a Ruger 10/22 but was disappointed with its accuracy and sold it. Then I bought the Glenfield Mod. 60 and never looked back. A real tack driver. As a gunsmith I worked on a number of them. Once or twice had to replace a spring in the trigger group, but the main problem was just dirt and gunk as folks tended to shoot them for years and years without much maintenance. I did discover that Marlin changed the design of the trigger group a couple of times. It is designed kind of like a metal sandwich with two sheet steel sides and the parts in between. On the older ones the sides were held together with pins that could be driven out, but in later models they were flattened on the ends like rivets and very difficult to remove. In fact, I had a telephone conversation with Marlin once and was told that they did not intend for them to be taken apart and suggested sending them to the factory for repair of just buying the entire trigger group new. But, yes, they're a wonderful rifle. Now if I could just get some ammo.........

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Any love for them? Oh, my yes! I have a like new specimen of that very model, the one with the squirrel and acorns on the stock. I used bolt action .22s for many years, but once got the bug to have a semi-auto. I purchased a Ruger 10/22 but was disappointed with its accuracy and sold it. Then I bought the Glenfield Mod. 60 and never looked back. A real tack driver. As a gunsmith I worked on a number of them. Once or twice had to replace a spring in the trigger group, but the main problem was just dirt and gunk as folks tended to shoot them for years and years without much maintenance. I did discover that Marlin changed the design of the trigger group a couple of times. It is designed kind of like a metal sandwich with two sheet steel sides and the parts in between. On the older ones the sides were held together with pins that could be driven out, but in later models they were flattened on the ends like rivets and very difficult to remove. In fact, I had a telephone conversation with Marlin once and was told that they did not intend for them to be taken apart and suggested sending them to the factory for repair of just buying the entire trigger group new. But, yes, they're a wonderful rifle. Now if I could just get some ammo.........
    Now thats very interesting.
    Yep..
    I'm a huge fanboy of the old glenfields,
    Correct me if im wrong --- but hasn't marlin made something like 12 million of them ?
    So, i seriously doubt we'll run out of them any time soon. Thank the Lord.!!!
    Im always on the lookout now.
    For the older ones.
    Now that I've found my friend ArrowDodger,
    I'm tickled pink. I've a few younger shooters in my family, fix em up. Excellent Christmas gifts.
    I like the fact, that a person can up grade the feed throats and ejectors.
    Once ArrowDodger is done. They run like a swiss watch.
    And soooooo wonderful accurate! !
    Seems every single glenfield /Marlin shoots well with CCI standard velocity ammo.
    I clean them with brake cleaner.
    And remington oil.
    Then high pressure air. Blow it out.
    They operate slick as a whistle! !!

Boolit Master
    Got the Marlin 99 M1 Carbine version. Great little rifle.
    I've owned a couple of Glenfields years ago, sold one and gave the other away. Both were great shooters and very reliable.

The Carbine I picked up dirt cheap in near relic condition. Little metal finish and some exterior pitting. What was left of the stock finish was cloudy and worn away in spots.
    The rear sight was missing and the otherwise nice scope that was on, a 3-9 variable, had received a severe knock which bent the mounting rings.
    I cleaned the bore and found it in excellent condition. Fitting an old Tasco 4X from my junk bin I found the rifle capable of dime size groups at 50 yards with cheap milk box bargian ammo and little effort on my part. You'd have to work at it to miss something with these rifles.

The standard comb of the factory stock is way to high for me even when using a scope so I eliminated it completely and reshaped the stock to more closely resemble a M1 Carbine stock.
    First thing was to shorten the pistol grip then reshaped the buttplate and butt using a real M1 Carbine buttplate as a guide.
    Drop at heel is still a bit less that on the real thing, but it will suffice.
    I also reshaped the handguard and made a new upper band from half an old Mauser upper band of unknown type.

My favorite ammo for these, especially the short barrel versions, is the CCI Stinger.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-26 14.15.17.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	174960 mine had no preference for ammo....tried federal and remington golden with same tiny groups. figured this thread needed a picture in it!

Thanks Yall!

First thing I ever bought on a credit card in 1982.... A Marlin 60.....was $62.00 new in box. At. sporting goods shop in Utah...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master
    Sorry but all the Marlin rimfire love is used up on the model 39.

Bought one for my step son when he turned 18. Haha, his mom didn't want him to have it but I got it for him anyway.
    He's 20 now and at Camp Pendleton, Ca., a PFC in The Marine Corps.

Boolit Master
    Lots a love here, bought it new in 1983 before heading off to Boot Camp. I forget what I paied for it then but it's still with me today. It's one of the last 18 shots without the last round hold open and before the barrel and mag tube was shortened to be NJ compliant. It is the first rifle that 2 of the 5 grand kids have started out on and the wife loves it.

Boolit Master
    I love them, first rifle I ever fired. My granddad bought a new Glenfield from Otasco in 1980, and he taught me to shoot it. I still have it, and it brings back memories every time I shoot it. Though the years I've had dozens of them, most of them were $40 pawnshop specials, that were guaranteed to jamb half the time. The last one I picked up was 99 m1, and it has the rear sight, I've been told the sight is worth more than the rifle, it's a shooter and loves mini mags!

Boolit Master

Marlin mod. 60 love.

Just like DerekP Houston said - more pics needed.

Attachment 174989

Love 'em. Much prefer Marlin 60 over the Ruger 10/22. Have 2 mod. 60's and a Glenfield 75.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    First thing I ever bought on a credit card in 1982.... A Marlin 60.....was $62.00 new in box. At. sporting goods shop in Utah...

LOL my replacement screws and an authentic 1978 stock cost more than that! Those were the days.

Thanks Yall!

And I think it came with a scope

"Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

I know where there's three or for of them cheap here in Anchorage . All with same dealer...good shooters

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

That said, I gifted mine to my son's years ago....

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast