MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: 22RF case failure?

22RF case failure?

Gentlemen;

The other day my son and I were knocking over the RF "Falling Plates" at our club.

I was shooting my old 1967 - vintage Ruger Mk I target pistol. A function-perfect veteran of many 10's of thousands of rounds.

I ran off two 50-round boxes at the plates and was into the third when "Bang!" - an unusual report. I looked and the gun was firmly jammed - an unfired case locked partially in the chamber.

I cleared the jam and looked it over. - The extracter was gone, blown out of the pistol. I noted a battered case-base on the bench-top. I knew a case had failed for some reason and the case body must still be in the chamber.

We went home.

There I dis-assembled the pistol and ran a patch through the barrel. Sure-enough there was something very rough and sticky in the chamber area even if I couldn't readily see anything. ~ All I could (not) see was the origin of rifling.

I'm no genius but that case body HAD to come outa there!

I got a bran-new 22 bore brush and jammed it into the chamber. It stuck tight. I could not move it in or out with all my (marginal) strength.

I called my son. With me holding and him pulling "pop!" the brush came out - with the separated case body firmly stuck onto the stiff bronze bristles.

I ordered and installed a new extracter and today I function-tested the rugged old Ruger. It worked perfectly once more.

Good afternoon, Forrest

Just out of curiosity, what brand and type of 22lr ammo were you using?

Boolit Master

it can happen, though not super common. usually the result of the firearm firing with it slightly out of battery.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez if yer shootin' one of the longer .22 LR rimfire case versions (CCL Stinger, etc.)
    this is not a "Big Suprise."

Boolit Master
    It happens once in awhile. You did the right thing to clear the case body but next time put a little hoppies or other solvent in the chamber if its stuck that hard. When I shot competition I had a spare extractor set just in case. 10/22's will do the same thing.

Boolit Master
    I had the same thing happen today to my 10/22 takedown, I broke it down, and thankfully it came out with a pocketknife, wee hoo!

Gentlemen;

Thanks for the comments.

I'm interested semi-shocked that this apparently happens fairly frequently!

Forrest

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot over 150,000 rounds of .22 and have never had something like that happen. I doubt it is a common thing but you handled it well.