MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resizing 303 Brit to 30-40 krag trouble

Range was successful, no discernible difference in groups at 100 yards, very happy

Boolit Master
    Sometimes you have no choice if you are experimenting.
    One of my projects was to find out if you can make long lasting .303 cases from Hornady .405 Win.
    I found out that you could but the necks might require turning and the rims are on the thick side.
    They are expensive but they would probably make long lasting brass for a Krag too though they are a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    I have been using 303 Brit brass to feed my Krags for years I just can't believe that some people freak out over head stamps. If you can't tell the difference between an 8x57 and a 30-06 with out reading the head stamp you don't need either one
    EDG

My, how times have changed -- in the fifty's we were making 303 brass out 30/40 --

I have about 8 krags to feed and was lucky enough to get an additional 550 new win brass a couple years ago for a VERY reasonable price... you really don't want to know how much.

Mr humble must work for osha -- trying to create unsafe acts for job security
    Last edited by Pavogrande; 10-22-2016 at 09:16 AM.

unable to find 30-40 anywhere, loaded OR unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    unable to find 30-40 anywhere, loaded OR unloaded.
    ? This help?

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/73152

Got a hundred rounds and it sold out the first day

Boolit Master

Just checked Grafs and Krag brass is in stock.

Boolit Grand Master

Not trying to stir things up but if using brass with the wrong headstamp is so unsafe then what about cartridges that are loaded differently depending on which gun they will be shot in... for example the extremely popular .45-70 which is commonly loaded for at least three different classes of gun: trapdoor Springfield, 1895 Marlin, and Ruger #1 or Siamese Mauser? All have the same headstamp but if a round loaded for the Ruger #1/Siamese Mauser class ever wound up in a Trapdoor Springfield then it would surely come apart. That does not seem very high on anyone's unsafe to do list. another would be .45 Long Colt.

Marlin tried the safe approach by bringing out the .450 Marlin as a safe alternative to hot loading .45-70 and look where that got them.

As stated, one has to be responsible and keep these cartridges segregated for use only in suitable guns and/or mark them so they are obviously not the standard round.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    The world is overpopulated, let Darwin sort them.

Personally i mark cases that is used for a different caliber than intended:

Boolit Grand Master

17nut:

There you go! But I thought headstamps had to be correct in Denmark... or maybe it was a member in the Netherlands that commented on not being able to form cartridges if headstamp was wrong.

Just curious.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    If you use military brass with no nomenclature you have the same problem even when the brass is used in the correct rifle.

I have a lot of SL54 30-06 brass and it is used in many different rifles none of which is 30-06,

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    17nut:

There you go! But I thought headstamps had to be correct in Denmark... or maybe it was a member in the Netherlands that commented on not being able to form cartridges if headstamp was wrong.

Just curious.

Longbow
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

There's another good point. I have military .308 brass and .308 brass I have formed form .30-06, .270, .280 and others along with lots of headstamped .308 brass. Opposite to your scenario, I have lots of different brass formed for use in one gun.

Also, in your case there is no misleading headstamp to indicate it is okay to put that .30-06 round into wrong chambered gun. Not sure just what chambers would accept .30-06 and make a dangerous situation, if any.

For someone who has no experience and knowledge of cartridges, calibers, etc. it could be an easy mistake to make if they got someone's "incorrectly" head stamped brass. As reloaders we need to keep track of what we are doing and where those cartridges go. In many cases the incorrectly headstamped cartridge won't chamber in the gun it is headstamped for but some do. I have no problem forming brass from "incorrect" cartridges but do not go handing out my reloads to just anyone especially those not familiar with guns and ammunition. I doubt most reloaders do regardless of headstamp.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I will make cases from others if I have to but I will always buy the correct cases when they are available . I have made 7/08 out of .243 or .308 when I had no 7/08 cases and needed them right now but I am anal about keeping these segregated from all other cases .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

All of my wife's .260 Remington cases say 243, that's what I could find at the time. We don't have a 243 on the place so no confusion yet. As far as my 6.5x57, well they are all stamped as 8x57. After 30 plus years my 25-06 is finally getting properly stamped brass instead of LC43. JW

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    17nut:

Just curious.

Longbow
    Noone gives a hoot here!
    If you f**k up its your own problem and at best they smack you on the back of the neck with a car antenna.
    If you blindly trust and fire someones reloads and your rifle dismantles all by itself then its your problem, no suing anyone for anything.
    We are almost encouraged to put a little clorine in the geene pool via the Darwin method.

Yelp I just ordered another 100 rounds

Boolit Master
    I had thought of over stamping the headstamp on cases reformed for another chambering but then I read of some disasterously bad U S milspec .30-06 manufactured in the 1920's where the caseheads split because a primer staking punch too long on one side work hardened one side of the primer pocket and caused a crack to form. I guess banging away on the case heads with hammer and punch is not such a good idea.

Boolit Buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Noone gives a hoot here!
    If you f**k up its your own problem and at best they smack you on the back of the neck with a car antenna.
    If you blindly trust and fire someones reloads and your rifle dismantles all by itself then its your problem, no suing anyone for anything.
    We are almost encouraged to put a little clorine in the geene pool via the Darwin method.
    Gee, I wish our US politicians could learn a few things from the Danes.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Gee, I wish our US politicians could learn a few things from the Danes.
    Nah, can't teach politicians anything!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast