RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Another New Windows 10 Upgrade "Anniversary Edition" Coming To A PC Near You

Vendor Sponsor

Another New Windows 10 Upgrade "Anniversary Edition" Coming To A PC Near You

M$ has rolled out Windows 10 "Anniversary Edition" v1607 which is even more hardware specific than the "November Upgrade" v1511 from last year. As you can see by the screenshot, LOL it ain't none too stable either! Ok gonna type more on this after I reboot and spend the next few hours figuring out what all it broke.. Carry on..

In the short few hours I have been running this one, IT IS THE BUGGIEST WINDOWS 10 TO DATE!! Bee Ware fellas, install at your own risk, have a backup hard drive with your current and WORKING windows 10 cloned to it so you can bail before it flies into the mountainside...

I had to drop back and boot off another drive that I had cloned my v1511 OS onto, man did they EVER break a bunch of stuff with the new build! Action center would not run, they broke the start button, windows itself was crashing, M$ security client couldn't initialize, this is the worst windows build IN M$ HISTORY.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-20-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up! This is part of the reason I always leave mine set to manual updates only.... time to clone the harddrive again!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    WIDI was deleted
    My Epson scanners manual and program GONE
    All my personal settings gone
    Lexmark printer now takes 1 min before it starts to print. I guess I should be grateful that it prints

Cant wait to see what else

It took a longggggggggggggg time to reconfigure also,after 45 min had to leave so I dont know the time
    Last edited by DCP; 08-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Vendor Sponsor

OUCH! Sorry for your losses.. This thing took hours to install, 3 reboots.

I'm running off my clone now, and retrieving files off the drive the update was installed to. I think I rescued all my QuickLoad stuff.

With the cheap cost of SSD drives now, nobody can afford to be without a backup. For years I have only ran Windows and installed applications on my C: system drive, all the photos, movies, music, and all other files are saved to a different drive so that when windows breaks and needs repair, I only lose a few bookmarks and whatever was installed on the C: partition since the last clone.

Each of the 3 desktops here has two SSD drives, one is the drive it boots from, the other is a saved clone sitting on a shelf. When something breaks I just connect the clone, do all it's updates, then either clone it to the drive that had issues with windows or whatever, or if it is hardware failure, simply ebay another SSD and clone it to it, back on the shelf it goes. Timewise these installs are excruciatingly slow and annoying so the $35 or $50 investment in a second SSD is money well spent.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! This is part of the reason I always leave mine set to manual updates only.... time to clone the harddrive again!
    Have windows 10. Not very good with computers. Was told windows 10 updates automatically. How do I set for manual only updates?

Larry

They can have my Windows 7 when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.....

Boolit Buddy
    That's why I've weeded out MS products from all household devices - OSX/Android/Linux for me.

Boolit Master
    The best thing that happened to me the last few months was my windows phone breaking the screen... I was awarded with a free 2nd hand Moto G 3rd gen. No windows stuff for me either. Too bad they are embedding this thing even in cars! My wife has a Ford and it's a POC system, can't even read the mp3 correctly... Android and Linux for me too, thank you very much.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad I stuck w/ 8.1. I've had no issues w/ it and actually like it. I see Linux in my future when this laptop dies.

Banned

I have found Windows 10 to be better than expected and more stable than Windows 7. I avoided the upgrade but at some point during the 1,000 or so invitations to upgrade to 10, I must have fast fingered it and have not regretted it, but I do understand the current update for 10 may change my current good opinion of it.

Boolit Master

I bought a new computer that came with 10 on it and it's the absolute worst *** I have tried to use on a computer EVER!!!! I'm currently working with Linux on an old computer and as soon as I have it half way worked out this Microsoft garbage is history!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    Have windows 10. Not very good with computers. Was told windows 10 updates automatically. How do I set for manual only updates?

Larry
    hit the windows key, and type in "windows update settings" and hit enter.

If you click advanced mode, you can select "defer upgrades"

I can't disable them completely any more which is unfortunate, but this at least pushes the upgrades back a few months so MS can work the bugs out like the one here.

Like mentioned in a previous comment, I use an SSD for a boot drive/OS drive, and a separate disk for all my personal files and other programs. This is a good reminder for myself as well since I have an extra SSD laying here I will create another backup of mine.

If you have the home version I think you are out of luck, I used the following"

Use the Registry to Disable Automatic Updates — Professional Editions Only
    This setting can be configured in the registry, too. This registry hack does exactly the same thing as the above Group Policy setting. However, it also only seems to work on Professional editions of Windows 10.

Download our Disable Automatic Updates on Windows 10 registry hack and double-click one of the included .reg files to make Windows Update notify for download and notify for install, auto download and notify for install, or auto download and schedule the install. There’s also a .reg file that will delete the registry value the other files create, allowing you to go back to the default settings. This only worked when we tried it on Windows 10 Pro, not Home.

After changing this option, visit the Windows Update pane in the Settings app and click “Check for updates.” You can then click “Advanced options” and you’ll see your new setting here. (You have to perform a check for updates before Windows Update notices your changed setting.)
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-...ading-updates/
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Works OK except it won't keep my old hp LaserJet installed and working.

I'm plagued with Windoze 10 losing a wireless connection, every other device in the house stays connected.... Quite a common problem apparently but can't find a solution that works... Guess that's what happens when you get a "free" upgrade, worth every penny spent....
    May we achieve our aims....

I got Windows 10 pre installed (with dvd rom backup) from scratch on my new computer purchase. It works great. Of course it had a ton of junk running on it that needed to be shut off, but after all was said and done, it works just as good as windows 7 did for me. Now, with that being said, I NEVER do upgrades, especially when they all of a sudden pop up at the bottom right side of my computer wanting me to upgrade from my present operating system to a newer better one. For all my friends that upgraded from windows 7 to 10 via that little window icon that appeared at the bottom right of their task bar, like all the other posts here, they had nothing but trouble, LOTS of trouble. My 2 cents worth.

Back to 7 for me....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master
    With the last upgrade, when I click "close all tabs", it closes all tabs instead of doing nothing. Great upgrade!

If Win 10 wasn't broken there'd be nothin to fix and all them engineers would be out of a job and hacking your computer for money. Think of it as "Protection" for your computer with all the same "Smooth Interface" as working with the mob. LOL Ya you got a choice, upgrade or we break your computer. No you can't use it first, wadaya think this is your software. Youse ain't read the software "agreement". LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Vendor Sponsor

Went to Linux Mint 18 with the Cinnamon desktop this last week on two machines. NEVER BETTER! I loaded wine on my main machine so I can run a few treasured windows apps, and they run pretty good so I am at ZERO loss of functionality going from Winblows 10 to Linux. I would HIGHLY ADVISE anyone that hates the upgrades and the overall complications from windows 10 to load this Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon and give it a test drive. It beats windows hands down. It is fast, stable, has everything already bundled with it. Libre Office is fully installed, it does everything M$ office does except cost out the ying yang. It does Excell, Powerpoint, Word, Visio, all included in Linux Mint for ZILCH. NADA. FREE. Linux Mint has cd/dvd burning software already, and if you see something in there you don't like, uninstall it, try THAT with M$ annoying Cortana or Groove or any of this other proprietary cr@p they force on you. And if you see a better version of say the cd/dvd burner, click on install and Linux does the rest. It's very cool.

My other used to be windows 10 box that sits on the other side of the room got Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon also, plus VirtualBox that I installed a stripped down Windows 7 into so I could run QuickLoad and this runs great. I can run Linux, AND the Windows 7 on the same desktop, at the same time. Fully functional Windows 7 too, it doesn't know it isn't installed on a standalone drive, and anything you installed and ran in windows 7 before, you can install it in this windows 7 and run it.

Microsoft was just getting to be a headache. By now, there is a bug in Windows 7 that they know about where it will NOT update, it took their tech support 4 days to get mine to update itself so it could then take the windows 10 upgrade. I have a .txt file that they wrote and put on the desktop of step by step everything they did to get it to do automatic updates. Jeez what a chore!

Then, it will run the original 10586 build of windows 10, but the November upgrade to v1511 crashed it so bad it couldn't even recover back to the previous windows 10. Had to format and start all over from windows 7. And what's to keep this upgrade from running on it again and crashing it? NOTHING. There is no way to turn off upgrading the OS to the next build.

My main machine would run the v1511 November update of windows 10, but would NOT run the very recently released "Anniversary Edition" of windows 10, build 6701 which is rolling out right now as I type this. What is to stop this machine from them running the v6701 upgrade on it? NOTHING. There is no way to turn off upgrading it to the next build, which will NOT run on it.

With two computers vulnerable to M$ and their horrid upgrades which could come at any time without my consent, I said enough is enough and bailed on M$ and was never happier.

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon fellas, go buy a 60gb or 120gb SSD drive for cheap, download and burn the Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon DVD, disconnect your Windows 10 drive, connect the SSD, run the linux install from the DVD and see how you like it.

You can thank me later. I'm off windows for good. Free at last!

Boolit Grand Master

I had my first experience w/ Win10 this weekend. Stepdaughter needed a new laptop so I bought one for her. Straight out of the box it was better than Win8 as far as familiarity. I don't like how old menus are hidden under new ones. For instance windows themes are in an old menu but you go through a new Win10 one to get to it. They moved a bunch of stuff for no good reason. I will use themes as an example again. Screensaver/Sounds/Backgrounds are now in different menus instead of the one that makes the most logical sense.

I installed Start10 so the start menu works like Win7. I have Start8 on my laptop and it's been flawless. Deleted all the laptop manufacturer junk programs along w/ MS Office. Installed Open Office because it flat out works and is free. And of course I had to go through menu after menu to turn off all the spying aspects of the OS.

I do not like that updates are forced on you. Even Apple is smart enough to not force updates. The first time an update causes issues I will use it as a test bed for Linux. I could not get it to connect to a hotspot from my phone for some reason. Don't have this issue on my personal or work laptop so I'm sure it's some glitch in Win10. Since it's not my computer I'm not worried about it. Don't know how long this experiment will last. Hopefully it's like Win8 which has given me zero issues.

Boolit Grand Master

At my age learning to find my way home from a different store is a challenge. I hate that every Tuesday, my PC has a different issue or a doz. If W 10 is so darn good why do they constantly have to fix it?
    Information not shared. is wasted.