Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Locating and removing split cases

Boolit Grand Master

Locating and removing split cases

I use a couple of progressive presses (Dillon 550B's). One thing that can interfere with the smooth QUANTITY production of match quality ammo is the incidence of split cases. If they are not removed before running a batch you risk loading a bad case. The minimum this causes is the waste of bullet, powder, and primer. The worst is you'll miss it and get an "off shot" at the worst possible time (when you are having your local "World Shoot" with your buddies for local bragging rights or maybe that world class deer rack, or...).

So, it is really necessary to remove the bad cases BEFORE you load. I load a couple of thousand cases at a time. Handling and examining each case one by one is tedious to say the least.

However, years ago, a commercial loader showed me a neat trick. You have tumbled your cases and they are clean and apparently ready to go. They need to be examined for bad cases. You have a container of brass on one hand and an empty container near by. Just pick up a medium handfull of brass and "rattle" them in your hand. Good cases sound dull. A single split case in the bunch will signal its presence by a "ringing" noise that is quite distinctive. Go through the cases, handfull by handfull. When you hear the distinctive "bell" sound, examine and remove the split case or cases and then throw the balance in the second container. Continue until you have "run" all of them. It is near foolproof and quite quick. It takes just a couple of minutes to clear 1000 cases.

Then CRUNCH the split case with a pair of pliers or a hammer to insure that the case does NOT find itself amongst the good cases, again. Do NOT throw the brass away. Our local scrap dealer is paying $1.75 lb for cartridge brass!! Just save in a special box until you have enough to sell.

I hope this helps solve a constant problem for the volume loader. It has certainly helped me.

Dale53

I'll give it a try next time.

Up til now I handled everyone. I spin them between the thumb and pointer finger. A cracked one was easily felt.

Thanks for sharing!
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master
    The split ones that I don't catch after tumbling I catch when sizing. There is a distinct difference in how the throw feels, like there's no case being sized. And the ones that get past me at sizing and get a primer are tossed into a box to decap later. No sense throwing out good primers. One day all those split cases will be taken to the scrap yard to pay for 1/32 tank of gas.

Great tip. Thanks!
    Old and Wobbly !!

But it sure beats the other option!

Personally, i catch most of the splits when I'm lubing up the brass. There is a very different sound when you are moving the brass around. I lube using a set of rubber gloves sprayed with lube, so you move the brass around while lubing. It takes a bit of effort to nail down exactly which case is busted, but it's easy to tell there is one in the bin.