Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Suitable mould for No.4 Enfield?

Boolit Bub

Suitable mould for No.4 Enfield?

I've been using the .312 Lee 185gn mould, beagled out to .314 and then powder coated on top for lubrication and a diameter at the widest point of .316 and then at 90deg they measure .314. I've modified a Lee push through sizer to .316 and the PC'd bullets only make contact at the 'wide' points of the bullet as they go through. The throat slugs out at .316 with excellent rifling which is copper-free after lots of work.

The current load is 16gn of 2400 with Federal Match primers in neck sized Privi brass and whilst I'm not the greatest shot, accuracy isn't brilliant. I'm guessing the out-of-round bullets aren't obturating due to the light load though they are certainly stabilising. I have no leading after 50 rounds, just powder fouling.

What I would like is a mould that casts a 155-185gn bullet at .316, these seem to be thin on the ground, does anyone have any suggestions for a source before I have a go at lapping out my Lee mould? Shipping to the UK would be a requirement.

One of these may be what you're looking for: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...i7cipovsd4m9f6

Boolit Master

+1 for the NOE 314299, mine shoots an inch group at 100 yards with H4895. They also make a 316299 model. Its a little heavier than the 185 you are looking for but they are just the ticket for the SMLE. The 160g Ed Harris mold might work for you.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Most important is having a bullet which is large enough and fits. The NOE works for me.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    kungfustyle

Are you using PB or gas check base?

Boolit Master

Size is always an issue. Been beagling and using PC to get that extra 2 to 3 thou, mostly with great results. Can't go wrong with NOE or even the lee 185 and 160TL. I lapped out a Lyman 314299 to .315 now it shoots and with PC it punishes targets with authority, I think the PC stabilizes the boolit better since it engages the origin of the lands much better.
    Since starting powder coating I have found this to be true with most undersized boolits the 185 Lee is a real preformer now.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Moderator Emeritus

Cast bullet engineering 200gr has been my best with the NOE 316331 coming in 2nd.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Bub
    I have an old Ideal 314299. Casts at 315. Sized to 314. Shoots well in my 303's. A #1, 2#4's, a#5 and a Ross.

In Remembrance

Lingtning22;

While many of the bullet moulds the other posters recommend MAY work for you, there is a way to be certain the bullet mould will make accurate bullets. Get a mould that is cut to match the diameter and profile of your specific chamber/throat/leade and cartridge. Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technology will cut a bullet mould to match the throat slug you send him. LBT bullet moulds are state of the art with a patented sprue cutter that prevents voids under the sprue. Here is a link to his website: http://www.lbtmoulds.com/

Prior to getting a LBT bullet mould I must have bought 20+ moulds for my Lee Enfield CNo.4Mk1* Canadian target rifle with PH No5 sights. None of them would shoot better than 3 inches 5-shot groups from the bench at 100 yards. Most wouldn't do 5" groups despite extensive load work-up. Finally I sent a throat slug and details about the alloy I was casting to Veral Smith and received one of his excellent moulds a few weeks later. Right away I noticed how nice it was to cast from a correctly made bullet mould. The bullets dropped out without having to beat on the mold. My first 5 shot groups were about 2", and I was able to cut this in half with minor load adjustments. Why guess at what your rifle needs when you can get a bullet mould that matches your rifles critical throat area? Any time I get a new rifle, the first thing I do is make a throat slug and sent it off to Veral Smith at LBT.

Boolit Master

If you have a very large bore Enfield, try the NOE 316299. It's heavier than you want at about 210 grains, but it's what I use in two of my LEs. The others get the Lyman 314299 for their tighter bores.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Bub
    Thank you gents, I have enquiries in with NOE and LBT to see if they will deal overseas.

Hi!

one thing is sure, they ship to canada! NOE 316-155-FN is doing great with gas checks and IMR7625, NOE 316299 with gas checks and IMR 4198 is also a good choice in no4 and no5 rifles, try it in nagants!

Boolit Bub
    I've found that NOE will post to the UK by running through the order process online, not had a reply from either of my enquiries though.

Try Cast bullet Engineering, they have the biggest range of any mould maker!

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...age=3&Items=12

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!