RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pickled beef tongue ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Pickled beef tongue ?

Found a cow tongue in the grocery bargain bin today . Was $24.61 reduced to $7.36 , little over 3 pounds . Been wanting to pickle some tongue . Got er boiled and ;

Last edited by Boaz; 08-19-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I LOVE beef tongue!!!! Ate it when a small child, and have found it from time to time since. Hard to find in the USA. I've never had pickled tongue - bet it's good.

Ken H>

Moderator Emeritus

I get a tongue every year with my quarter of beef. Usually make tongue pastrami.

There was a bit over 3 pounds . Pickled half (jar is about a quart and a half) and just kept the thickest part to slice for sandwiches .

Best sandwich's ever. Have not had one for years but I miss it.
    Mom used to use a pressure cooker, speed up the boiling.

It would come out tender and incredibly flavorful.

Moderator Emeritus

I confess that I'm a bit turned off by some things, and tongue is one of those, BUT .... every time I try these things, I LOVE them! Pickled pig's feet, and things like that exist for a REASON, and the reason is they're GOOD! So I just sit and laugh at myself and enjoy! Nothing trumps great taste!

We buy a side of beef each year. It seems that a lot of people that buy from the fellow we deal with
    don't like liver, heart or tongue, so we get all that we can eat, must have 4-5 tongues in the freezer
    right now. Ever steak wishes it could be as delicious as a well cooked tongue !!
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

I use to buy one every once in a while but the price has gotten insane . Over $7.00 a pound , heck they use to be cheap here bouts .

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    No Need to Pickle: Just roast it...Skin it and Slice it! Greatest sandwich with Some good Polish Mustard & maybe some horseradish!
    Get mine each year from my broter-in-law They get half a cow in January: I said I will take all the nasty bits his wife refuses to look at: So I get Tongue, Heart Liver and Tail! Those make great eats Also get Lots of Suet I cook up for the birds ( but Wish I could get the Brains & Kidneys but I guess that it just a memory from my childhood! Don't seem to get those anymore)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

The mad Cow Disease scare stopped the slaughter houses selling Brains. Used to eat everything when we butchered. We still save the tongue, heart , liver and tail but no more brains.

Vendor Sponsor

We had Bulgarian neighbors for Thanksgiving one year, decided we'd make an International table and we'd cook traditional American, they'd bring traditional Bulgarian. Well (funny as hell) he says to me "Where can I find this this.. (points to tongue) of the cow?" All the stores don't have this meat, in my country this is delicacy and must have. I laughed and politely informed him that he was shopping at the white people's grocery store and that he would find his beef tongue at the a-hem "ethnic" market over here on this road. We had a good laugh over that one, and sure enough there was the tongue.

They slice it very very thin and bread it then fry it and it is delicious. Thanksgiving was indeed a feast that year.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I never cared for brains much , they taste bitter to me . BUT my family loved em ! Mom cooked em in potatoes , eggs and lots of fried things . Never remember her boiling , baking them .

I can still remember our neighbor old Grandma Lena Meyers (came over from Norway as a child) teaching mom how to make head cheese correctly.

Dad had gotten a taste of Lena's someplace and managed the introductions and just plain told mom. Get with lena, find out what you need, I will provide the heads. Then you two do it together so it comes out right.

Well mom squared her shoulders and soldiered up. I have to admit, sandwiches in our house were a thing of joy. Between tongue, head cheese, mom put up a sort of home made summer sausage in long loaf pans from hamburger with lots of mustard seed. Cool weather winter sandwiches rocked at our house.

And Lena, lena became a second grandma. She lived 3 doors down from us. We mowed her lawn, pruned her hedges, shoveled her walks without asking. We just DID for her. Because she was cool. Because she had the best Ole and Lena jokes in the state. Because you never knew when lena would show up on your door with a new knitted cap that was brightly colored and cool. And warm. Lena was down to earth, honest, hard working, she raised 9 kids with no husband, and had a pure zest for life.

For 40 years I have used the best, and the worst of those Ole and Lena Jokes.
    They have led me into some pretty interesting experiences.

Like the time I was at the strip bar and after the girls did their bit they would sitt on the runway listening to my jokes and chat.

Afterwords the guys are saying things like "How do you do that"

Simple, move eyes up, make eye contact, think of the best slightly risque joke you can think of. Untie your tongue, while making eye contact, tell the joke. Keep your cool, maintain eye contact, tis only an ole and lena joke dumbkoff!

Lena dear, RIP. Wish I knew who you are now, and where.

Moderator Emeritus

I remember eating brains and eggs for breakfast as a kid. Mom wasn't keen on it, but fixed it for Dad, and we loved it! Mom liked it, but had a problem with the idea of it. No meat has nearly as much cholesterol as brains, but that's why I think Dad liked it in the cooler months - kept a warm glow going inside as that fat burned off, and kept you going. Organ meats of all kinds tend to be very high in cholesterol, but brains are something like 90% cholesterol, being a specialized form of fat cell with "additons" to it. I haven't had any in many years now, and probably don't need to partake with my health problems & all .... bu you guys surely bring back some great memories .... and temptation!

The "old folks" didn't care about delicate sensibilities. They only cared about taste and what the foods did for them, and they knew what to eat and when to get the most out of what they had. Not like today, where folks eat mostly for taste alone, without any regard for nutrition and the foods' capabilities. Reason was much more important to them than it is now, along with the "waste not, want not" ethic. I wonder how us "moderns" would far in anohter depression? My family always said they just "lived like we always did," growing their own groceries including the meats, and eating very well in the process, and often giving stuff to neighbors and those in need, and trading off even more stuff. Grandma was apparently a great cook too, though she died well before I ever came along, so I never knew her. But most women back then were great cooks, I think. It was one of their primary duties, and nothing was more common than sharing recipes with each other. And most ladies has "special" recipes they kept secret, I think more as a joke and challenge to the others in their sphere. Dad, I think, just like me, didn't know how richly blessed he was as a kid!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I got a Beef tongue in My Deep freezer now….With all this talk………. I'm going to thaw it out this weekend and cook it up for next weeks sandwiches!
    Might even try that "thin slice , breaded & fried" Thing…never had it that way!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

We got in from church . Becky was crusin through the refrigerator and said she was going to make a tongue sandwich . I hadn't eaten anything today but 3 tomatoes with salad dressing .
    Told her to leave the bread out and I would make me one . She said there ain't no more and held up the biggest tongue sandwich I ever saw . She laughed and went to do homework in her room . Dang there was 3/4 of a pound of beef there . No sandwich for dad , life can be cruel ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    I confess that I'm a bit turned off by some things, and tongue is one of those, BUT .... every time I try these things, I LOVE them! Pickled pig's feet, and things like that exist for a REASON, and the reason is they're GOOD! So I just sit and laugh at myself and enjoy! Nothing trumps great taste!
    Lol I'm with you there. I know it *could* be tasty, but from the look of it I would pass on first attempt....That's one of them things I need to eat without knowing what it is first.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

Aw, Derek, just let your venturesome side loose, and get on with it! It's always an educational experience for me. Ought to work for you too?