MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oops -- or Things to Not Run Over with a Lawnmower

Boolit Grand Master

Oops -- or Things to Not Run Over with a Lawnmower

So I was mowing my yard today, trying to get caught up with it for once this year, when the blades came to a sudden stop. So sudden there wasn't time for the belt to squeal. Just a thud and that was it.

I backed out of whatever I hit, saw a good sized stick pull out from under the deck and thought I had gotten off easy. No such luck.

Run the mower up on the berm and looked under it. Found a nasty ball of spring steel that used to be a leaf rake.

Take my advice and don't run over one of them with the blades rotating. It made a ball about six inches in diameter that really wasn't fun to remove.

On the plus side, there was no permanent damage to the mower. The leaf rake wasn't so lucky.

Be careful when mowing, especially in high grass.

Robert

Boolit Master

If only. The first few years of mowing my lawn it seemed that instead of grass my lawn was growing rocks, and not small ones either. With the freeze and thaw cycle, large 8" plus rocks were being extruded from the ground and once it was an old piston which must of been there for years. I bent quite a few blades before it finally settled down.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I learned pretty fast to walk the yard every spring before the first mow. Rocks, branches, lost tools, old toys...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Neighbor hit a dog tie cable once. We spent several hours cutting it out after it was wrapped tight around the blade mounts and blades. I hit a 12 gauge shotgun hull that really flew. Some of these new mowers have much higher blades speeds than the old ones did and really throw things hard

Boolit Master
    Round pointed shovel with the girlfriends new snow blower doesn't go well either.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a frog just before I pushed the mower over him. I couldn't stop fast enough & got ready to be grossed out. Surprisingly nothing came out. No hide, eyeballs or anything at all. I was amazed & looked under at the still turning blades of my ancient push mower. I was amazed to see that frog hopping over the blade on each rotation!
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    So I was mowing my yard today, trying to get caught up with it for once this year, when the blades came to a sudden stop. So sudden there wasn't time for the belt to squeal. Just a thud and that was it.

I backed out of whatever I hit, saw a good sized stick pull out from under the deck and thought I had gotten off easy. No such luck.

Run the mower up on the berm and looked under it. Found a nasty ball of spring steel that used to be a leaf rake.

Take my advice and don't run over one of them with the blades rotating. It made a ball about six inches in diameter that really wasn't fun to remove.

On the plus side, there was no permanent damage to the mower. The leaf rake wasn't so lucky.

Be careful when mowing, especially in high grass.

Robert
    Been there done that......almost lost a good shovel that way! I try to always put my tools away after use, but that grass grows QUICK here with all the rain. Ant hills make me dance the most.

Other than that my lawnmower does double duty as a compost maker and wood chipper on occasion . And yes...I have to replace the blades more often than most. I've gotten pretty good about getting it back up and running though. My neighbor has a "rock garden" on the side yard that my son likes to collect from....I've learned to keep an eye out in the front for those, but it gets mowed more regularly. HOA doesn't complain about my jungle/vegetable garden in the backyard though.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I learned pretty fast to walk the yard every spring before the first mow. Rocks, branches, lost tools, old toys...
    Whats a "first mow".......it never stops growing here!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I used to have to mow about an acre with the old self propelled (no ride for me) and I would always forget one of the faucet's and have to replace it - finally go to the point where I put traffic cones over 'em. But the good news is I got good at plumbing.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I used to have to mow about an acre with the old self propelled (no ride for me) and I would always forget one of the faucet's and have to replace it - finally go to the point where I put traffic cones over 'em. But the good news is I got good at plumbing.
    I should use that trick for the sewer cleanout cap. Hit that thing about once a year!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Perm-Banned
    we go over snakes we glee. lots and lots of them get turned into mulch on our place.

in Remebrance
    Back when Snapper brand mowers were very popular around here, a guy stopped in at the local dealer. The conversation went something like this: "I found something a Snapper won't mow." "Yeah, what's that?" "A Handyman jack." GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    I saw a frog just before I pushed the mower over him. I couldn't stop fast enough & got ready to be grossed out. Surprisingly nothing came out. No hide, eyeballs or anything at all. I was amazed & looked under at the still turning blades of my ancient push mower. I was amazed to see that frog hopping over the blade on each rotation!
    I thought the Calaveras County Jumping frog was in California or Colorado. But Arkansas???????
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

When my kids were little , I would occasionally find one my tools with the mower...that caused a lot of swearing !
    I bought the kids their own tools , plastic of course and things got a lot better.
    The other day I was digging in the back yard putting in a small raised bed for tomatoes and dug up a plastic claw hammer , cap gun and plastic GI Joe toy survival knife and a few other toys. My youngest son is going on 35 now , wow those years just flew by . Now I feel bad about hollering at him .
    Gary

Yall ought be glad you ain't Rednecks...they find cars and trucks when they mow the front yard...I swear!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Yea, my 17 year old daughter used to find my hose when she mowed... They get shorter every year

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I once started the mower with a litter of baby kittens under it. Looked like something out of a horror movie! There were a few that survived, don't remember how many. Most did not.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Snow blower and that electric cord you knew but forgot was out here in the snow running out to the shed. Aside from the joy of being out in the cold clearing the auger is the fun of knowing you have a heavy duty extension cord to replace. Along with a life time supply of short ones if you want to buy the ends.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Yall ought be glad you ain't Rednecks...they find cars and trucks when they mow the front yard...I swear!
    Back when I was still delivering the mail.There was this one trailer with a pickup broke down in the front yard by the porch.They were moving one day as I came by,I watched them drag the truck out.Dead deer by the porch.Been there all winter.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boys used to split the wood and move it to the shed. Well it seemed like every yr they would leave a peice in the grass. Of course the first cut is usually tall. Had one jam under the deck of the cub cadet, 26hp and 50 i9nch deck. The blade was a couple inches into the wood and the wood jammed on the brace at the discharge. Barried about 3 inches into the wood, oh yeah it was oak that was dry and hard. Finally got the sawsall out and it cracked one of the mounting lugs for the shaft housing. Heck here in Tn we grow rocks like trees. Rattle snakes never look better than after those blades hit it. Oh and those cars in the front yard that is to establish your rating in the neighborhood, the more you have the higher your rating, kinda like a credit rating.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

I was mowing with an old cub cadet rider at my grandmothers. My wallet worked out of my pocket on the next pass I diint see it till it came out the disgharge. Drivers license a credit card and some cash chewed up ( cash was still spendable but got some odd looks) drivers license and credit card had to be replaced. Wasnt a big thmp or ground rattiling shock but seeing that light brown leather come out and I knew what it was.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast