Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: it's time. You should be stocking up

I should add broaden your horizons! Lot of folks over the last couple of years have had to find a substitute for "old faithful" powder. Start some lists of what you load, use the manuals to find what might cover the most of those loads, then go buy some of it. Look at the posts discussing what can I use instead of ______ to load {something from your list}. And take that into account. Titegroup might not be your "go to" but it will load most pistol rounds, if not ideal then at least serviceable. Or if you simply must have a certain powder then start buying it. Figure you have 2 to 3 months at most before the market shakes up a bit.

I can get everything I need down range with just 4 powders. A fast and slow pistol, a fast and slow rifle. And I bought those as I could until I had a comfortable amount. If I had budget left or could not find a most desired powder I would go down my list and buy what I could find that would work. Meant I did end up buying 1# bottles at a greater cost than 8# jugs would have cost but instead of bulk savings I have bulk supply despite a sort of hit or miss market availability. I have not seen an 8# Varget but I have seen 8 of the 1# cans of it over time. Might not find any Varget in stock this paycheck but BL-C(2) is a good alternative and there are 2 of those in stock so I bought them. Can't find Red Dot but can find Titegroup.

Too late for folks now to do the slow and steady accumulation or start looking for a powder that is not easy to find but if it was me and I had the money to spare I would snag what I could that would work. And buy primers every time there is a local gun show or local sale, or if you do an online order, get the most from your HazMat fee buy some primers or an extra can or jug to fill out the box.

Me I am thinking Hillary is going to win (don't shoot the messenger) and IF that happens even if she does nothing there will be some panic buying, if (or more like when) there is a major shooting incident you can pretty much count on her going all out to use it to pass legislation. Or at the least try in order to keep the support of the anti-gun part of her base. Hillary tries and people buys, another spate of panic buying. By this time we are back to the only powder is stock is useless stuff no one ever heard of until the shelf was empty except for the weird stuff. And a stray box of off brand, weird brand primers and 2x the normal price. Well folks should have seen that coming if they are out of short pants.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I think that who ever wins in November, we're going to be into some trying times. My brother and I were trying to determine what we needed as far as ammo (components, etc.). We decided to buy so we could keep shooting for the rest of our lives. Ammo and/or components stay viable for a long time with minimal care. They will never be appreciably cheaper that they are now.

No one I have ever heard of has regretted buying/hoarding/prestocking at normal prices. Having what you need lets you buy in a buyers market.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    What RogerDat said!
    I have a few 'perfect' powders for specific applications and a couple of other 'good enough' powders for quite few different cartridges, both in sizable quantities along with a pretty healthy supply of brass and primers, lots of lead and fairly decent assortment of jacketed bullets. Now instead of spending obscene amounts of money all I need is time at the loading bench to fill the rest of my brass.
    If you haven't stocked up already you need to get to it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Did you forget the wine and beer?

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Artful- I was not aware of the trooper class, that looks very intriguing to me as I have always liked the more physically demanding matches. The matches we run here make me feel like its golf with guns, everybody has push carts and dressed in jerseys
    Talk to your match directors, I'm sure they would be willing to set up a trial match - I'd suggest
    a two gun (rifle and pistol) to start.
    https://sinistralrifleman.com/trooper-class/
    http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/m...oper-rules.pdf

Remember the old adage - fight like you train and train like you fight!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    What RogerDat said!
    I have a few 'perfect' powders for specific applications and a couple of other 'good enough' powders for quite few different cartridges, both in sizable quantities along with a pretty healthy supply of brass and primers, lots of lead and fairly decent assortment of jacketed bullets. Now instead of spending obscene amounts of money all I need is time at the loading bench to fill the rest of my brass.
    If you haven't stocked up already you need to get to it.
    And sometimes even obscene amounts of money won't buy you what a trade for other components will. To paraphrase the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers - Components will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no components.

The opportunity to look for deals or do gradual purchases may have passed, on the other hand there was a specific series of events rather than a single thing such as election that drew down the supply and made the shortage happen, and a lot of people really won't need to buy more of anything no matter who gets elected. I have a few items I plan to get next month, but it is more along the lines of putting up an "extra" cord of firewood "just in case" rather than buying anything essential or in quantity.

Might also be a good time to think about any mold you might need that you have put off buying. I recall a 6 month waiting list of presses and popular dies a couple years back.

Did you forget the wine and beer?
    Brown liquor takes up less space. Hmmm. Been thinking off and on about making a still, all that brewing beer or making wine seems complicated to get right, I live in apple and corn country, potatoes too. Seems like that can be made into booze that might taste a bit less than polished but should work better than trying to drink three or four bottles of funky tasting beer I might make.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Brown liquor takes up less space. Hmmm. Been thinking off and on about making a still, all that brewing beer or making wine seems complicated to get right, I live in apple and corn country, potatoes too. Seems like that can be made into booze that might taste a bit less than polished but should work better than trying to drink three or four bottles of funky tasting beer I might make.
    True, every word of it. Hmmmm....apples make great cider, wine also. Potatoes bring vodka to mind. But a few bottles of the professionally made stuff might be nice for a treat every now and then. Until gone.........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    And sometimes even obscene amounts of money won't buy you what a trade for other components will. To paraphrase the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers - Components will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no components.

The opportunity to look for deals or do gradual purchases may have passed, on the other hand there was a specific series of events rather than a single thing such as election that drew down the supply and made the shortage happen, and a lot of people really won't need to buy more of anything no matter who gets elected. I have a few items I plan to get next month, but it is more along the lines of putting up an "extra" cord of firewood "just in case" rather than buying anything essential or in quantity.

Might also be a good time to think about any mold you might need that you have put off buying. I recall a 6 month waiting list of presses and popular dies a couple years back.

You have to make the beer before you can distill it. Corn, sorghum, barley, grapes whatever needs to ferment to make the alcohol before you distill it to concentrate it. Wine, mead or hard cider is the easiest route to a homemade drunk. You might want to add some good yeast to your stockpile.

Tim

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I got smart near a year ago, went into the local liquor store asked for the manager and asked how much discount for case lot?

Well it was significant and I had a nice pile of cash on me so I spent 200$ and got 350$ worth of retail booze.
    2 cases of Even Williams Bourbon and one case of mixed rum, vodka. 1st case is of 1.75 liter bottles. That's my stash. 1 year later I am about half way through my first bottle. It'll last me a while. Grin Other two are fifths.
    If it ever does hit the fan that stuff will be like gold once the bar's run out.

And at need I know how to use native North Dakota cold january nights to turn high proof wine into brandy without a still or any smell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I got smart near a year ago, went into the local liquor store asked for the manager and asked how much discount for case lot?

Well it was significant and I had a nice pile of cash on me so I spent 200$ and got 350$ worth of retail booze.
    2 cases of Ewen Williams Bourbon and one case of mixed rum, vodka. 1st case is of 1.75 liter bottles. That's my stash. 1 year later I am about half way through my first bottle. It'll last me a while. Grin

If it ever does hit the fan that stuff will be like gold once the bar's run out.
    I'll trade ya some 22lr for the rum
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

LOL got enough now, I'll wait till they are thirsty and only accept silver or primers!

Father in law got me started stashing .22lr away and I have continued to do so every chance I can find a decent price and have a few dollars to spare.

Powder Valley has got plenty of powder at a good $$$$$ right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Talk to your match directors, I'm sure they would be willing to set up a trial match - I'd suggest
    a two gun (rifle and pistol) to start.
    https://sinistralrifleman.com/trooper-class/
    http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/m...oper-rules.pdf

Remember the old adage - fight like you train and train like you fight!
    I (was) one of the RO's so it wont be hard to do, but I would be the only one shooting that class. Unless maybe others get the idea to try it. 3 gun is fairly new to our area and 2 gun or combat rifle is non existent. I would have liked to run for rifle director and be able to put on those kinds of matches but other duties caused me to move away out of state recently so I'm in search of a new home range currently. I'll admit though having run a few 3 gun matches and tons more pistol matches I really hate 3 gun rules.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    as far as deals being gone that may be correct. I ve noticed that grafs no longer discounts primers, wideners has new owners, they no longer have surplus guns and prices are up across the board, no more sellier belot primers for $16.50/1000 or even $100/5000. Powder valley is the last great place but they still don't have 2400 or h4350, but for that matter, nobody does,I have substituted 300mp, w296, lil gun and aa9 for 2400 , i guess there is no real substitute for 2400 and imr4350 for h4350 but imr4350 has allways been super accurate just doesn't meter as well. Midsouth is allways super reliable and constantly has better prices. god help us if the status quo stays in office, the politicians in office don't represent the 99 percent of us or for that matter not even the people who elect them they are bought and paid for by the 1%. All we can hope for is Trump gets elected and is not beholden to the 1% and tries to straighten things out instead of manipulating the system so his friends can line their pockets and the rest of us can squeak by on less and hopefully our civil liberties will be restored putting an end to degradation of the constitution. just my $0.02
    on powder, primers and bullets compared to midway.

I have enough ammo for normal purposes, I do not have enough to go to war, and will not. Let's face it, most people, yes even gun people will cave. Unless the military turns on the tyrants the fight will be very very short.

I have enough ammo to defend myself from looters, and provide food, not going to waste money on anything more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12