Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: it's time. You should be stocking up

it's time. You should be stocking up

Already stocked, just finished topping off my .22lr with the Gander Mountain sale last week.

Now all I have to do is keep chewing through the small mountain of rifle and pistol brass I am sitting on.
    25lb boxes of 9mm, .40sw and .45acp. Just under 1k rounds of .223 and 7.62x39 brass. I have a hundred .30-30 brass that will probably be my next up in the list.

Ammo table is groaning, running out of MTM boxes so I will shortly be in replacement mode. Reloading rounds fired to stay in practice.

My .50 ammo box is stuffed with primers, over 20 lbs of Red Dot/Promo, another 10 of various powders. Fair lead supply.

Boolit Master

if you haven't been in continual stock up mode for several years now, your way behind the curve. we all know the next panic is coming.

Boolit Master

Been for a couple decades, keep current.

Boolit Master
    I don't disagree with the recommendation, but the story starts off with a completely illogical statement. No gun manufacturer can just increase manufacturing capabilities 300% over night. It's just not possible.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lefty is correct. Face it, putting up a couple of jugs of powder or 10,000 primers is not "stocking up ". Not long ago many here were moaning they could not get powder or primers. Guys like me were labeled hoaders.

The next period of shortages will be worse. And prices will be much higher when stuff can be found. When Hillary wins (yes, that is the most likely outcome) look for taxes on ammunition, AR's becoming restricted weapons and requiring a tax stamp, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    No gun manufacturer can just increase manufacturing capabilities 300% over night. It's just not possible.
    So if my labor is trained and I go from two 6 hrs shifts and go from
    2 shifts to 3 shifts with my previously 24 hour per week employee's working 40 hours or more it won't be a 300% increase?

What about a change in technology? Can that increase productivity?

As for article saying you need 10 mag's per handgun and 20 per rifle. I don't know about that -

For 308 battle rifles one in the gun and 6 more (140 rounds)
    is about what I can maneuver with and in mouse guns
    (223) one in the gun and 8-9 more (270-300 rounds) is about my limit.

That's providing you have load bearing equipment that helps you
    support all that weight.

As far as Pistol in 3 gun shooting I had one in the gun and 5 more for single stack 45 ACP but in Double Stack I just had 3 more to go with the one in the gun. Never Ran into a course that required more than 4 magazines of 13 round capacity.

Real world carry the rifle 24/7 I don't want all that weight on me -
    2 spare pistol mags and 4 rifle mags MAX on a good Gun Belt.

As far as all the Ammo you can afford - I'll buy components and put some together myself - Cast HP works just fine but FMJ seems to be what most are selling and hard cast duplicates that without issue.
    Last edited by Artful; 08-18-2016 at 02:29 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Oh, and to help you figure what your load out is going to be
    Weigh your magazines and web gear then add.

Pistol Calibers

Rounds per pound: 47.06
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 2.13

9mm Luger
    Hornady 115gr JHP/XTP
    Rounds per pound: 38.10
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 2.63

.38 Special
    Rounds per pound: 34.78
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 2.88

.357Mag.
    Remington UMC 125gr SJHP
    Rounds per pound: 30.77
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 3.25

.357Mag.
    Handload 158gr JHP
    Rounds per pound: 28.07
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 3.56

40S&W
    Rounds per pound: 28.07
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 3.56

.44magnum
    200gr Hornady XTP HP
    Rounds per pound: 22
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 4.57

.44magnum
    240gr LSWC Bullet
    Rounds per pound: 19.7
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 5.07

.45ACP
    230gr Winchester Ball
    Rounds per pound: 21.33
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 4.69

RifleCalibers

.22 LR
    Remington Golden 36gr PHP
    Rounds per pound: 133.33
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 0.75

.223/5.56X45
    (milsurp) British Radway Green SS109 63gr
    Rounds per pound: 37.21
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 2.69

30-30 Winchester (a.k.a. .30WCF)
    Winchester Silvertip 170gr flat nose
    Rounds per pound: 20.28
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 4.92

.243Whinchester
    75gr Hornady V-max Handloads
    Rounds per pound: 22.22
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 4.5

.308 Winchester
    Remington UMC 150gr FMJ
    Rounds per pound: 19.05
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 5.25

.308 Winchester
    168gr BTHP Match Bullet
    Rounds per pound: 18.67
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 5.35

7mm Remington Magnum
    Winchester 175gr Power Point
    Rounds per pound:14.68
    Weight per 100 rounds(lbs):6.81

7.62X39
    Wolf Steel Case 122gr FMJ
    Rounds per pound:27.59
    Weight per 100 rounds(lbs):3.63

Shotgun Calibers

12GA 2 3/4" Slug
    Federal HI-Shok Slug
    Rounds per pound: 10.53
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 9.50

12GA 2 3/4" #4 Shot
    Remington Express 4BK
    Rounds per pound: 9.30
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 10.75

12GA 2 3/4" #7 1/2 Shot
    Federal #7 1/2 Shot
    Rounds per pound: 10.53
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 9.75

12GA 2 3/4"00 Buckshot
    Federal Express 9 Pellet
    Rounds per pound: 9.76
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 10.25

12GA 3" Slug
    Federal 3" Rifled Slug
    Rounds per pound: 8.89
    Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 11.25

And for those that care...
    Aluminum is lighter than steel
    - 10 aluminum FAL mags weigh 2 pounds less than 10 steel FAL magazines. (empty weight)
    8.1 oz FAL steel mag make unknown
    3.7 oz FAL aluminum mag (Now I know why paras carried them)

- I have a few Poly/Plastic AR magazines but most of mine
    are the Aluminum metal ones as I have had issues with
    stuff in the past that didn't hold up. I have 1960's age 20 rnd
    AR mags that are still working just fine.
    Last edited by Artful; 08-18-2016 at 02:49 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I don't understand your math at all. Going from 24 hours per week to 40 is a 60% increase not 300%. If your going to add a shift you need trained employees to man that shift. It can't happen over night. I guess if a factory was operating at 30% you could crank up the production overnight but I guarentee none of the major manufacturers are operating at 30% capacity.

Technology can can increase productivity, but unless they were just waiting around to implement the technology it would be kind of odd timing.

Boolit Grand Master

First of all, if a mfg is only at 30%, in the Obamas climate of today, they are dying, and praying for a Hillery panic.
    Second, Is everybody expecting to have to leave home in an, at war situation?
    Yes, there is another crisis coming. But it's not necessarily in the form of politics, but regardless of it. It's just a matter of time till the next radical decides it his turn, for 15 seconds of glory.
    Yes, store shelves are no longer bare and the time to put in a reasonable inventory of powder and primers is passing quickly.
    Don't panic and buy more than reasonable. That's what causes shortages, and don't expect to profit from it.
    If Hillery is elected, your inventory will be subject to her whims, your guns a thing of the past, and the world we enjoy now, changed forever.
    Either make sure she is a has been, or get used to her ideas for your life.
    Trump is by no means perfect but he's our only other choice.
    VOTE.

Last edited by mold maker; 08-18-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I don't disagree with the recommendation, but the story starts off with a completely illogical statement. No gun manufacturer can just increase manufacturing capabilities 300% over night. It's just not possible.
    Without knowing their production capacity or the number of manufacturing facilities available, I'd be inclined to agree with the author.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Artful , when you shoot 3 gun I'm sure you don't carry all the ammo you require for the whole match on you for that one stage. Just like you would take 5 mags with you for your handgun and leave the other 5 at home for parts and or replacements.

For the price of some pistol mags these days 10 would be hard, people would see the price and go aftermarket and be worse off than if they got half that number in factory magazines. Anybody trying to play catch up now just on the equipment is going to be so far behind on the power curve on what is needed it wont do them any good.

We've seen it time and time again "oh whats that shiny thing they are trying to ban! I need one" and there it sits and collects dust until a car repair comes up and they find the price they foolishly paid for it isn't near what its worth. $1,500 AR-15's still crack me up at shows....you can dang near buy a DSA FAL for that and .308 is a far cry from .223.

Nothing gets people going like the threat of the loss of an Constitutional right they've rarely exercised. Truth be told, its a feel good band aid for the real problem. Somebody rushing out buying these things makes them feel good, feel prepared but they are far from it.

Throwing money at the problem wont help (buying a truck load of guns/ammo/equipment)....how about instead you own up to your rights do some sweating and canvas for somebody who will support the document and the people of "These United States"......you are only worth what you yourself fight for.
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 08-19-2016 at 01:20 AM.
    My firearms project blog

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Artful , when you shoot 3 gun I'm sure you don't carry all the ammo you require for the whole match on you for that one stage.
    Trooper class
    - you carry it all from the start...
    Your Water, Ammo, Magazines, first aid, tools
    You reload your mag's between stages - Sometime you walk
    between stages and it's timed as well.
    depending upon the club rules
    you carry rifle, handgun and shotgun at the same time, sometimes they restrict you to carry one long gun and one handgun and your other long gun is stashed at a point where they change the challenges out so you trade off long guns.

I'm a little too old now to be competitive,
    Here's a Video of a Rifle ONLY match.
    Stage 1

Stage 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVUSb6Lh71M
    Stage 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrKLhsqeU98
    Stage 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBq2D_H4UfA
    Stage 5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7pVzZRUpV4
    Last edited by Artful; 08-19-2016 at 01:29 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is all relative as to what constitutes "stocking up" and what one is anticipating as the use case. Scarcity of supply due to panic buying is a different phenomena than high tax or registration with fees (a tax by another name) Or outright less available, still desirable and thus prohibitive in cost. We have mostly seen some examples of these three in our lifetime.

The thing with .22 LR or powder & primers was a panic buy or hoarding for profit scarcity is recent, if you have not made good use of the current availability to consider what makes sense for you to keep as a running inventory you just are not thinking it through. Was a time when a decent Garand would run you a couple hundred dollars - back when the US government put their old ones on the surplus market rather than destroying them (thank you Bill Clinton). Or .303 British ammo surplus by the case was about the cheapest brass ammo you could buy at gun shows. Sometimes I look at stuff with prices from back then and just laugh. Lot of items now require more paperwork, licenses and fees, California and some anti-gun make no bones about taxing to drive up cost is a viable tactic. And then there is lead supply, reduced due to less common use, and then reduced still further by legislative action.

I'm not sure what will happen, no one is. I am sure what represents a multi year supply that could be stretched much further by a bit of rationing. Those with different usage patterns would find a different amount appropriate. I see no future need whatever for really large supply of magazines per weapon. Or thousands of loaded stripper clips. I suppose we could become Bosnia or something but I'm not willing to stockpile in anticipation of that use case. Scarcity and rising costs that allow weathering a protracted "issue" by either waiting it out or cost averaging is a use case I will anticipate. One pound of cheap pre-tax increase powder to one pound of the new taxed $10 more a pound is only a 5$ increase per pound, at least while the stash lasts. Which would be twice as long as stash alone if supply was not available. Buying primers in 5k package saves money and buying two of them is shall we say prudent if you can afford it. Know I will use those, $1000 on 30 magazines? Not so much.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    My 'stock-up' is more of an ongoing process and includes all components plus loaded ammunition. Cast boolits and alloys are included but priority 1 is to have plenty of rounds ready-to-fire-right-now. If/when everything falls apart it may be a while before I have time for casting and loading.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Yes, you should always have a basic load out of ammo ready for your "social" guns.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Stumbled across 57# of isotope lead for $.70 a pound yesterday. Beautiful lead ready to alloy after I make the ingots.

Artful- I was not aware of the trooper class, that looks very intriguing to me as I have always liked the more physically demanding matches. The matches we run here make me feel like its golf with guns, everybody has push carts and dressed in jerseys
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Artful- I was not aware of the trooper class, that looks very intriguing to me as I have always liked the more physically demanding matches. The matches we run here make me feel like its golf with guns, everybody has push carts and dressed in jerseys
    It does look like fun. I dunno how well I'd do to be honest, but golf carts and guns doesn't sound appealing to me. I'd wait for cooler weather here ;D.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

If you ain't already stocked up I wonder what have you been doing all this time? Stock up now? No, shoulda done done it.
    Now is the time to bolster your supplies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast