RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone loading 32 20 BP for Revolver?

Anyone loading 32 20 BP for Revolver?

I am soon to start loading .32 20 for an m1899 S & W "M&P" Revolver.

Wondering if anyone else here Loads the .32 20 in Black Powder for ( other than Colt SAA ) Revolver?

And if so, what Boolits do you like?

Boolit Grand Master

I like the NOE 314008 (clone of Lyman 311008) for BP and smokeless and the 98 gr Lee for smokeless. My old Colt DA revolver has a terrible bore and a sloppy action so BP wasn't a good option and smokeless not much better. I have an 1892 in 32WCF at John Taylor's shop waiting to be re-lined and hope to shoot BP in it when it returns.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I like the NOE 314008 (clone of Lyman 311008) for BP and smokeless and the 98 gr Lee for smokeless. My old Colt DA revolver has a terrible bore and a sloppy action so BP wasn't a good option and smokeless not much better. I have an 1892 in 32WCF at John Taylor's shop waiting to be re-lined and hope to shoot BP in it when it returns.
    Thanks for those mentions!

Lacking a Mold till I can find one, I sent of for some Bullets from 'Mattsbullets' to tide me over for a while, opting for the 120 Grain flat nose, said to be .312 diameter.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1938 S&W .32-20 HE I really should try it in. I have a Lyman '008 and a Lee 90 TLTC.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The Lee 311-100-2R with 21gr FFFg @ 750fps
    Regards
    John

20gr. FFFg and the #3118. NASA lube. Or 2.0gr. AA#5 and 15gr. FFFg for cleaner burning.

Funny thing, using Old Eynsford FFFg and my S&W hand ejector, the loads were too hot. The primers flowed back and tied up the cylinder. I had to switch to my homemade powder for that gun to tone it down a bit. The Old E works a treat in the Marlin 1894 though, plenty of power and accurate.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    20gr. FFFg and the #3118. NASA lube. Or 2.0gr. AA#5 and 15gr. FFFg for cleaner burning.

Funny thing, using Old Eynsford FFFg and my S&W hand ejector, the loads were too hot. The primers flowed back and tied up the cylinder. I had to switch to my homemade powder for that gun to tone it down a bit. The Old E works a treat in the Marlin 1894 though, plenty of power and accurate.

-Nobade

What Primers were these?

Are some brands of Primers more likely to do this, than others?

What Bullet/Boolit were you using?

Indeed, I plan to try various Black Powders, "Swiss" 3F, "Old Eynesford 3F", "Goex" 3F ( I know...Lol...) and maybe I might also try "777".

I am also planning to try a few brands of Magnum Primers as well as ordinary Primers...and, to methodically note and Chronograph the results.

My cases are new 'Starline', but I might also get some other make Cases if I can find some.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 08-27-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Winchester small pistol primers. Haven't tried any others yet, some harder ones might help.
    Bullet is a #3118. (Currently #311008 I believe) Standard 32-20 bullet.
    Cases are Starline.
    Magnum primers likely won't make a noticeable difference but it will be fun to try them.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    I tried BP in a 32-20, the case anyways. I dont have 32-20, but use the brass in a 7.62 nagant. They worked, but not much in way of velocity, and clean up is way easier w smokeless.

Use real Nagant brass in that revolver and the cleanup is considerably easier. Fouling stays in the bore and doesn't get all over everything else.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I tried BP in a 32-20, the case anyways. I dont have 32-20, but use the brass in a 7.62 nagant. They worked, but not much in way of velocity, and clean up is way easier w smokeless.
    I'll be Chronographing my Loads, to see what they do.

In fact, I am just about ready now to start Loading...took a while to get various items together, as I am strating from scratch.

Well, I finally got things set up and adjusted and all that, and I ran off thirty rounds of BP .32 20.

These are my first me Load Cartridges in a long time.

I am not sure just how MUCH compression a boy can do without converting the 3f into 4f, so, I settled on 18 Grains...and this seems to feel alright and only takes a reasonable compression for the 120 Grain Bullet to seat to proper depth.

My Press is a Lyman "Tru Line Jr".

I am using a really thin Bees Wax impregnated Paper 'disc' under the Bullet, so, I am displacing a teeeny little bit of Powder there of course.

How many Grains of what do you all manage to squeeze in to your .32 20 Cases?

I am using the 120 Grain 'Flat Nose' Bullet from mattsbullets.

I might be able to compress 20 Grains, but, it would be a fairly 'hard' compression.

Any reason not to?
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 09-11-2016 at 04:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't worry about compressing it too hard, as long as it ignites reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I wouldn't worry about compressing it too hard, as long as it ignites reliably.

We'll see...

20 Grains, I will have to compress in two stages I think, since it over fills the case some ways as is. New 'STARLINE' Cases, so, a little less room in there than the original Balloon orsemi Balloon Head Cases.