Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Ovideo Mauser

Banned

Spanish Ovideo Mauser

A guy has a really beat up partially bubbaed one locally asking $50 for it, could probably be had for less. Barrel is toast, but the action seems sound, though someone started to drill it for scope mounts, so there's a hole that's obviously off center but would probably be hidden by a scope mount if properly done.

Wouldn't even think about it except that I have a short take off barrel from a Swedish Mauser that's in good shape. I don't know much about Mausers, but I believe both of these are small ring? Could this barrel work and would anything need to be done to make it feed, i.e., feed rails opened up or something?

I could probably sell the bolt and bottom metal on Ebay for what I'd have in the rifle, just wondering if it might be salvageable into a shooter cheaply enough to make it worthwhile.

Boolit Master
    A Spanish 93 and a Swede 96 have the same threads, both are small ring. I am doing about the same thing. I was given two rifles, a trashed out Oviedo with a good action and a complete Swede that had been reworked by Kimber with a ruined action. Someone tried to remove the barrel from the Swede without the proper wrench and warped the receiver. I am in the process of putting everything back together. Don't know about the feeding yet.

I have nothing invested in this project but time, if everything works out the only cost I will have is D&T and turning the bolt. If you get into headspace problems and a new stock the cost can rise quickly. I was lucky, checked the headspace after I installed the barred and it was fine.

I took the barrel off the Oviedo myself, after soaking the action about two weeks made a relief cut around the barrel about 1/32 from the action about 1/8 deep. This relieved the tension at the shoulder and the barrel almost screwed out by hand.

Dave

Banned

That would be it, have nothing invested but time, the way I figure it, if the project didn't go well, I could part it out and have my money back.

The story of ruining a receiver worries me, I could see me doing that getting the barrel off.

Boolit Master
    The barrel on the 93 was junk so making the relief cut was the easiest and safest way to remove it. The small ring is not as strong as the 98 and easier to damage. I talked to my gunsmith about taking the 93 barrel off but decided to do it myself. He did tell me that when removing or replacing a barrel to strip the bolt and leave it in the receiver to help support it.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I also have a Mauser 93 action, But i cannot decide on caliber 7x57 0r the 6.5 swede both are great rounds. I only have 15.00 in the action itself a great flea market find.

Boolit Grand Master
    As long as you use a real action wrench, I think the chances of ruining the receiver is pretty low. If you try to get by with a strap wrench, the chances go up fast.

Soak the threads with penetrating oil for a week or so before trying to take things apart, it can't hurt and just might help.

I traded a junker grade .22 for one of those Spanish Mauser's with a "bad" barrel once. I was going to use one of the GPC kits to make a 7.62x39 carbine from it. Looking through the bore it looked like thirty miles of bad road; but when I got it home and cleaned it, it actually had a bright shiny bore. Too good to use as a parts gun, so I put a receiver sight on it and made it my bad weather rifle.

Robert

I hope your project goes good. I've got a 1916 Spanish with a shot out barrel that I've been meaning to do something with. I'd like to do a Rhineland Arms .45 ACP rebarrel.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I turned one into a nice 6.5 sporter, with a Boyd's stock.

Boolit Master
    IMO the money spent on a junk 1916 Oviedo, no matter how little, and the money and time put into it, no matter how little, would be better spent on supplies for your other guns. IMO they were about the least desirable of any Mausers.

Boolit Master

gnoahhh
    Yes, you are probably right about the quality of the Oviedo action however I disagree with what you said about the time spent. Re-barreling any old Mauser action can be a good learning experience. If no or very little money is spent, the learning is very valuable and worthwhile and a nice little rifle can be the result.

Ken

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have 1 I may turn into a 45 but it's sister that came out of the same recycle bin about 15 minutes from the crusher made a nice 257 Roberts . Of course it has to be run more on the 250 Savage side but it is a very nice rifle . With little more than time in them they are decent rifles the 1908 is in its original 7x57 . It's not a great shooter but a pie plate is in a lot of trouble with jacketed at 100 . That 29" bbl looks strange in a Boyd's prairie hunter stock.

It's really all up to you . Hold it to 40-45kpsi and wear it out .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Soak the threads with penetrating oil for a week or so
    Put a string wick at the stub next to the the receiver and use a 50:50 mix of ATF & acetone
    Regards
    John

http://www.jgsales.com/spanish-1916-....-p-80642.html

Spanish 1916 Mauser bolt action rifle chambered in 7x57 (7mm Mauser) caliber. Oviedo Arsenal Spain mfg, 1916 pattern Short Rifle with 22" barrel, wood stock, tangent leaf sliding rear sight, blade front sight with protective ears, and bent bolt handle. These are unmarked or scrubbed receivers without the Crest. Frosted or dark shootable bore. Metal finish has areas of pitting and corrosion. Stock shows dents, dings and small minor cracks, overall good condition, used. C&R eligible.

15-2906xq
    $179.95
    Enter Quantity: (Inventory On Hand: Available)
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

Overcome by events anyway, the guy sold it the next day. Probably just as well, I have enough irons in the fire, I just figured for no more than I would have had in it, I might have learned a thing or two from the experiment.

Boolit Master
    Trust me, Rich, you got off lucky. I'm all for learning on edgy stuff but I recommend at least picking something that will have value when done. Example: if you start with a beat up $150 M98 Mauser, put $600 worth of new barrel, stock, and elbow grease into it you'll end up with a dandy rifle (with the superior strength and gas handling characteristics of the breed) worth nearly what you have in it. Start with a worn out $150 small ring Spanish Mauser of some sort, go to the same trouble, and you'll end up with a gun that has resale value of very little more than what you paid for it. The skills/knowledge gained from both projects will be the same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Trust me, Rich, you got off lucky. I'm all for learning on edgy stuff but I recommend at least picking something that will have value when done. Example: if you start with a beat up $150 M98 Mauser, .......
    Can you show me where to find one of those $150 M98 mauser.
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 09-14-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    You have to look in the dark dusty corners . Every once in a while you will find a ugly 1916 DWM shot out for $150 if you'll take the 96# of lead too or an unfired loose complete Santa Barbara 98 action less bottom metal and trigger for $25 . If I can get hit in the face with them they are still out there .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Here's an Ovideo '93 with a 1925 date. Got it at a gun show just as you see it. Seller wanted $150 for it and I offered $125 without the Tasco scope. He let me have it for $125
    w/ the scope. 7X57 and shoots great!Attachment 176636
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    Here's an Ovideo '93 with a 1925 date. Got it at a gun show just as you see it. Seller wanted $150 for it and I offered $125 without the Tasco scope. He let me have it for $125
    w/ the scope. 7X57 and shoots great!Attachment 176636
    sorry, should have been more exact; M98
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

This is very interesting reading. My father-in-law has a Spanish Ovideo Mauser receiver and barrel in his garage that looks like it was recovered from the woods. I always thought it would be interesting to try and build off of it, but it appears cost-wise it would be a poor decision. Oh well. It shall sit on his garage wall until finally gotten rid of lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast