Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: OLD Lyman Furnace repair

Boolit Master

OLD Lyman Furnace repair

Help. I have this old Lyman pot whose power input plug/socket is busted. That is all that is wrong with it, I think, so I would like to replace the busted socket with a new one - Where, Oh WHERE, can I get a new one? No one in Tucson has a clue...

Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Which pot, and describe the broken socket.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the older pots used a cord setup like a crock pot or waffle iron, I would try a small appliance shop.
    Shaune509

Vendor Sponsor

a picture of the offending part would really help

I know its only a plug ... but there are many many styles
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

It's the old Lyman MouldMaster. The receptacle was based on a mica piece, with 2 prongs sticking out for the plug to go into, just like old toasters. And NO ONE in Tucson has the receptacle! I thought about simply hard-wiring a cord onto the leads, and will if I can't find, or make, a replacement. Really shouldn't be too much trouble to make - I would use a small sheet of fiberglass, in place of the mica, drilling holes for the hardware (that I recovered from the broken part). Finding a small scrap of fiberglass 1/16" thick might be a chore, though. Need a piece about 1x2.5" - which I might just try to make anyway, laminating with epoxy and strengthening maybe with pieces of coping saw blade...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    If trying to find a replacement for the mica sheet go to an electric motor / industrial control repair shop or welder repair shop and get a piece of thin [< 1/8"] isolation sheet. It is fiberglass based heat/flame resistant material, the last that I used on a job was red in color but have seen others.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

I'll give it a try tomorrow!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

The fiberglass that I tried couldn't take the heat. I went to a appliance parts store and asked for sheet mica. I bought a piece about .015 thick and cut out and used 4 pieces stacked together for strength. It cuts easily with a razor knife, and the repair worked, but the pot has other issues, like me it's kinda old.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

I bought a sheet of fiberglass at an old electronics shop, and will cut a chunk out of it to size, drill 4 holes, and assemble the thing. If the heat eats it up, I'll just hard-wire a power cord in. Pictures to follow...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Boolit Buddy
    I bet yours is similar to my old Saeco M24 pot. Wanted to find the correct parts to keep it original but no luck. Finally got some high temp wire and hard wired it to the plug-in wire. Works fine. I'll keep my eye open for a junker somewhere I can use to put it back to original someday.

Boolit Buddy
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Grand Master

I hunted for several months before giving in to hard wiring my SAECO. Finally the electrical end of the element burned off flush. It now has a new element and PDI, all hard wired and works better than new.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    ebay is your friend here. check vintage appliances may find one with plug like old coffee pot, waffle cooker

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I made my own panel by sandwiching cardboard, fiberglass insulation(thin), and hightemp resistant silicone rubber together. I also added a thin piece of plastic on the front. I have an older Lyman Mould Master XX furnace. I think you can use just about any stiff non-conductive material for the plate if you use hightemp silicone to glue a heat shield to it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure you can use fiberglass insulation glued to a piece of breadboard. Add the fiberglass after you attach the prongs. I hope this helps.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it