Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Buffalo Bill Commerative Winchester 94

Moderator Emeritus

Buffalo Bill Commerative Winchester 94

I dont have any pictures but a very nice older woman needs to sell a Buffalo Bill Commemorative.....I would rate the bluing as 85% and there are numerous minor scratches on the wood....no box or paperwork. I have googled and went to Gun Broker but I can find new in the box prices but no used rifles to try to establish a price.....can anyone give me an idea of what they think this gun is worth. She is to that time in life where she needs the cash but I dont want anyone taking advantage of her......I know I am asking a lot but I figure there are a few of you out there that collect these weapons even used.....thanks in advance....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

To me it may be another $50 value over any other post 64 Winny in similar condition at best. There were so many commemorative models that they weren't really all that special (to me anyhow). Pricing has typically shown that as well.

Boolit Master
    Is it the rifle,or the carbine? The rifle had 26" barrel, the carbine had the std 20" the rifles bring a little more, but I'm just guessing but I'd say around $300-$400, it would be a shooter cause of the condition you say it's in. And the post 64's don't have a lot of collector value, it may bring a little more, but you would have to find someone that just had to have it. I've often thought that I'd like to have one, and I've seen a couple at gunshows, and the highest one I seen was $600 but it was in very good condition, but no box. The box means very little to some, unless the rifle is unfired and NiB.

Boolit Master

I've seen a few in gunshops around and the prices ranged from 750 to 900. I paid 800 for a union pacific commeritive but I really wanted it as my grandfather worked for up for 30 years.

Boolit Master

The Buffalo Bills were made in 1968. That is the year that Winchester upped the quality of the post 63 rifles. I don't know if the BB rifles enjoyed the improvements or not, but it's something to keep in mind. Of course if you are buying it to help the woman out, then it's probably not important.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

I bought my Buffalo Bill 4-5 years ago new unfired, no box or manual for $600. Makes a great levergun silhouette rifle when the front and rear sights are swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post

I dont have any pictures but a very nice older woman needs to sell a Buffalo Bill Commemorative.....I would rate the bluing as 85% and there are numerous minor scratches on the wood....no box or paperwork.

IMHO, that is a $250-$300 rifle.

If the receiver is included in that 85%, you would be wise to consider that:

1) Those receivers were NOT blued - they were Black Chrome plated, which is prone to flaking around the various sharp edges (screw holes, opening edges, etc) if care is not taken when using sharp-edged tools (screwdriver, etc) on the receiver.

2) Those 1964-1982 receivers are NOT easily refinished, as they were not an easily-redone forged steel, they were made using a sintering process - essentially cast of steel powder, then iron-coated prior to the application of finishes (like various colored chrome plating, and two coatings that only LOOK like bluing or CCH colors)

3) Winchester slightly improved the Model 94 (like replacing the stamped sheet metal lifter, for one) in 1970 - AFTER the Buffalo Bill's were made in 1968.

As for being a collectible, fahgettaboutit.....................guns that show use are used guns, period - only "collectible" as a shooter by an amasser.

"Want", however, has nothing to do with practicality - so, if you want it, get it. (It's your $$/your decision).

In Remembrance

In that condition and on a generous day to help her out I would say $350. The Canadien Cenntienals were purported to be more accurate than most other `Cenntienals` for some reason.Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you guys....I am not interested in the gun....like old Marlins better......just trying to get a reasonable price for this lady....the gun is the rifle and not the carbine....I intend to show her what you all posted.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    The value would depend on the area you are in. Here in California, that might fetch as much as 500, while back in the Midwest, you could trim at least 150 off that. Those are generally very accurate rifles, more so than the Carbines in my experience. The 26 inch barrel is about 50 -75 dollars more than the carbines.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I paid $600 for the 26" bbld Canadian Centennial a couple years ago. I had already bought the carbine version earlier and think I gave $350 for it. One dealer had the two rifle set but way too expensive at the time. The rifle was in the factory box if this means anything. Good lever actions down here are hard to come by at reasonable prices. I got the rifle from Cherry's fine guns. They do have some of the commerative winchesters on their website. Frank