Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Container Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    One thing you need to remember is the corrugated siding IS the strength in a container!
    Gosh, you sure you got that right? I love these video's about construction of containers

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvXpLRw30A

Part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meZ-rf_wHVE

shipping container vs firearms
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0_A65eJWg
    Last edited by Artful; 09-01-2016 at 04:12 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Artful,
    I fooled with those things for more than 20 years in the transportation industry and have seen them destroyed almost any way you can think of. The same goes for a "slick sided" box type freight trailer. There are no studs connecting the top to the floor, only the sidewall. You DO have a metal frame on each end that allows them to be lifted and stacked but there's no support structure except the side panels connecting the top and bottom side rails.

je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

This is sort of fun to watch
    je suis charlie

Last edited by Artful; 09-05-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    you need to stud and insulate walls and ceilings. i would think to prevent movement anchoring/bolting them to standard rebar concrete footers around perimeter base would hold them in place but there aint no guarantees about anything when a cat 5 hurricane or tornado slams right into you. i have used trailers and containers for shop space and storage for 20+ years, uninsulated they are ovens in summer and freezers in winter. I love to weld, good used 40'er cost me $3050 delivered last month, 500 or more miles from any port. now i have to move the thing using the roundest straightest trees I can cut and drag to where driver dumped container. It took 3 hours to move it 500' onto my property , but thats what we deal with deep in the appalachians where nothing is flat or straight. Something you might keep in mind if you dont have heavy equipment to move a 9000lb box

Boolit Master
    Macmansion is right, It took some serious scratch to put that place together. They sure do offer endless posibilities. and for instant dry space at 320 sq ft at a pop they cant be beat. if you had to buy materials at big box hardware store it would cost at least what it costs to get container delivered.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Macmansion is right, It took some serious scratch to put that place together. They sure do offer endless posibilities. and for instant dry space at 320 sq ft at a pop they cant be beat. if you had to buy materials at big box hardware store it would cost at least what it costs to get container delivered.
    Of course, if you were building from scratch, those shipping container box dimensions are not what you would be wanting to use.

For example, a typical 40 ft container is 40'x8', thus 320 sq-ft in floor space and it has a perimeter of 96'.

Staying with rectangular construction, a square would be the most efficient use of materials and for a given amount of materials, it would maximize the floor area, therefore a square with sides of 24' (i.e. 96/4) would be best. That gives you 576 sq-ft for the same materials for the walls.

If you went with circular construction, it would be even more efficient. A 96' perimeter would mean 30.558' diameter (i.e. 96/pi). This would mean a 733.4 sq-ft (i.e. [30.558/2]^2 * pi) floor area.

So, about 2.3 times the floor area for the same perimeter if you went with a circular building. Not bad...

But, you would then have to add in the cost for the roof and floor -- more floor area equals more roof and slab costs.

It's hard to beat a shipping container for cheap quick storage area though.

Man's home is his Castle
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master

$6k each I put up a barn/ shop/ camp 30' x36' 2 story with heavy concrete floor for about $8k. For the difference you can hire somebody to bury a couple big septic tanks as a storm shelter. And still have several $1000 in your pocket.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Had a shipping container in the family once; Family member who "fixed" the roof did their usual bad job of it and the thing ended up with lots of water inside, which then proceeded to evaporate and re condense through the summer until the problem was discovered. Everything inside pretty much destroyed. If you have one, you have to check it regularly if the roof on it has any repairs, and not let an idiot fix it...

Boolit Man
    Shipping container castle is a great bunch of videos, I highly recommend all of his how to stuff, kid is sharp.

Banned
    You would have to do the math but I'm not convinced that there are real savings to be realized in the end.

The steel shipping container has good strength (at least before you start cutting large sections out) and would be superior to your average mobile home in a storm. However, that steel box by itself is a long way from a livable home. By the time you turn that steel box into a home with windows, doors, insulation, power, water, climate control, ventilation, etc. - the savings from the simple initial structure will be eclipsed by the costs to make that box into a home.

What makes those shipping containers attractive for use as structures is that it is a strong and easily transportable box. But it's not much more than a box at that point.

I don't know how remote the OP's building site is or just how tornado resistant he wants to make that cabin. There are compromises involved in those considerations. Completely buried would be the most protection from a tornado but that's a bunker not a cabin !

If you can pour a slab or place the box on wooded or concrete pilings you can attach the box the ground and have a lot of wind resistance but now you're getting into the cost and complexity of a foundation. At that point you still just have a metal box anchored to the ground. I've seen shipping containers used for storage buildings and temporary structures and I'm not impressed with them. They are attractive for those uses because they are very fast solutions to short term problems but that's all they are - short term solutions.

I would do the math and get a final cost on paper before I pulled the trigger and purchased a bunch of steel boxes. I think there are better options.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You would have to do the math but I'm not convinced that there are real savings to be realized in the end.

The steel shipping container has good strength (at least before you start cutting large sections out) and would be superior to your average mobile home in a storm. However, that steel box by itself is a long way from a livable home. By the time you turn that steel box into a home with windows, doors, insulation, power, water, climate control, ventilation, etc. - the savings from the simple initial structure will be eclipsed by the costs to make that box into a home.

What makes those shipping containers attractive for use as structures is that it is a strong and easily transportable box. But it's not much more than a box at that point.

I don't know how remote the OP's building site is or just how tornado resistant he wants to make that cabin. There are compromises involved in those considerations. Completely buried would be the most protection from a tornado but that's a bunker not a cabin !

If you can pour a slab or place the box on wooded or concrete pilings you can attach the box the ground and have a lot of wind resistance but now you're getting into the cost and complexity of a foundation. At that point you still just have a metal box anchored to the ground. I've seen shipping containers used for storage buildings and temporary structures and I'm not impressed with them. They are attractive for those uses because they are very fast solutions to short term problems but that's all they are - short term solutions.

I would do the math and get a final cost on paper before I pulled the trigger and purchased a bunch of steel boxes. I think there are better options.
    Totally agree, I have watched a bunch of videos on them, I am considering using 2 of them with a roof structure over them for an unheated barn and I think that works, but yes adding mechanicals and windows,and insulation seems like it may not be the most cost effective thing.

Banned
    within a year of ****, 99% of the population is going to be DEAD, so there will be no shortage of shelter by then. UNTIL then, all above ground or "findable" underground structures will be searched, repeatedly, by desperate, well-armed people. The Viet Cong lived in tunnels for 30 years, coming out only at night. you can do the same for a year. You'll have to, no choice in the matter. The first year of **** will be hell on earth. The only realistic answer to the threat of diseases and looters will be to remain un-noticed and that will require pre-buried food and gear. You dont have to, and should not try to) go far if ****. Just to your spiderholes in the woods near your local water source. Once you're down in one, out of sight, it will be reasonably safe to then extend it out into a tunnel, a foot of dirt over your head. 6 ft per day will be easy, while hiding the excavated dirt. In a week, then, you'll have 2 vertical entrances and 30 ft of shaft. If you detect dogs or men at one lid, you pop out of the other one and silently shoot them. Eat the dogs, haul the people a mile away and dump them. Cut them open so that they rot faster. You might have to cut the big ones in half just to be able to carry them, in fact. Be naked while you do this, or have plastic sheeting, so their blood aint stinking on your clothing, drawing dogs and bugs.

Banned
    you dont have to own land to have a spiderhole or buried drums there. After ****, there will be ZERO way to prove that a guy is the legit owner, or just that guy's recent killer. So dont waste your money on such stuff. Get night vision, passive IR scanner, silencer, luminous sights, subsonic ammo, solar charger and be ready to FIGHT. **** in no way can be peaceful. If it was, all it would take is a bit of cash, or maybe gold coins, a pistol, a bit of camping gear and you can just get out of the effected area. They had 3 days warning before Katrina hit. Any old grandma can bicycle 50 miles in 3 days. That's plenty far enough inland to be un-affected by a hurricane or the flooding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12