RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 458 Socom on the axis

458 Socom on the axis

Anyone here try building a 458 Socom on the Savage Axis action? How did it work out?

Boolit Master
    It is a bit of a specialized round, so probably wont find any. That round is really only useful in a semi auto platform, a bolt gun/single shot, way easier and cheaper to use 45/70. Last I looked when you can find the brass its often $2 ea, vs 100/$50. The 458 wont really do anything a 45/70 will, except work in an AR action.

I wonder about the 458x2 inch American ?

A 458 soc will fit in a short action. I've seen savage (model 10), remington (7's and 700's) and mossbergs in .458 socom. Tromix used to make barrels for the Mossberg MVP but I don't think they have any anymore.

Maker bullets has .458socom brass (in any quantity) for .68 each now. It isn't as scarce as it was a year or two after sandy hook. I'd like a bolt action .458socom to go with my .458 AR but I can't justify the money to build one.(too many other guns on the list) The PTG bottom metal that accepts AR15 mags is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by dkf; 08-17-2016 at 07:32 PM.

The Savage Axis comes in 30-06 and 270 win. Figured the 458x2 American would work?

For a long action the 458x2 would be better than the .458soc.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    For a long action the 458x2 would be better than the .458soc.
    Wonder about getting it to feed from the 30-06 mag.

I don't have any experience with the Axis. I'd suspect you'll probably have to do some tweaking but you should be able to get it to feed. I am sure a few people around here have them.

Boolit Master
    It looks like it ought to be doable, if you can get a barrel fitted to the rifle. They used a common rim size on the 458 SOCON. Thus if you use a rifle that was chambered for something like the .308 Win or .30-06 and so on, the bolt face would not need to be altered. Using a 7.92x57 or similar size Mauser action would work too. The .458 round ought to work out of a .308 Win rifle magazine OK. The 30-06 might be a bit too long for it though and need some modifying. The real trick is whether the costs are reasonable or not to do a conversion. I think it would be pretty neat to have a bolt action rifle chambered in .458 SOCOM. Or even a single shot rifle for that matter.

Boolit Master
    +1 on a neat little short-action bolt rifle - with either the .458SOCOM or the .458x2".
    I certainly don't need .458WinMag performance, and have a thing for short-action rifles anyhow.

Now that I am in my 60's there are a few guns I no longer shoot. Was thinking of selling them and putting a 338 Federal or the 458 Socom on a Savage Axis with the funds from selling them. Going to be shot from a bench so was thinking of a heavy barrel (bull barrel) of 24 inches. Looking for input from members.