RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Krag Sporter Question

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Krag Sporter Question

I found this Krag at a gun show a while back. The only screws holding the action in the stock are the two trigger guard screws. The fellow I bought it from said he just put the barreled action in this stock to sell it and it had never been fired as such.

Are those two screws alone sufficient to hold it together for firing moderate Boolit loads?Attachment 174451Attachment 174452
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

The answer is "yes". There are many sporters that only have the screws holding the action into the stock. As long as you'll be bench resting it for boolit shooting (I assume...?) there should be no problem at all. Since there is nothing holding it in the stock forward of the trigger guard you might check to see if the barrel is free floated, and if not you might consider doing so. Now if you intend to take it hunting, then that's another matter. I see that it has sling swivels. If the rifle is being carried by a sling over your shoulder then the front part of the stock takes all of the pulling and jerking as you tromp through the woods. In that event, you might consider some sort of barrel band or other means of securing the stock at that location. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Krag--they're great old rifles.

Boolit Master
    Why rely on those two screws that "probably" are good enough? You will find that your Krag's accuracy will likely improve, even with mild cast bullet loads, if you add a third anchor point. Saw that happen with one of mine and a buddy's. That barreled action wants to lever itself up out of the stock when fired, with only the two trigger guard screws anchoring it way in the back there.

Boolit Master
    Adding another anchor point on sporters was a common practice during years gone by. IIRC, only one of the Krag TG screws actually screws into the action. The other is a wood screw. Unless I'm hallucinating...
    Last edited by nicholst55; 08-15-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    both screws go into the action... not wood screws...
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Adding another anchor point on sporters was a common practice during years gone by. IIRC, only one of the Krag TG screws actually screws into the action. The other is a wood screw. Unless I'm hallucinating...
    You are hallucinating, both those screws go into the receiver.

That said, a barrel band or addition screw into the bottom of the front receiver ring will keep the barrel in place.

The rear of the magazine box should bear against the wood, as that is the only recoil lug to keep the wood in place. A shim or glas bedding is often needed in this area.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Think Buckshot did a post sometime back illustrating the extra screw on the underside of the front receiver ring. I've seen krags that had been sporterized with a barrel band that allowed an extra screw to be installed. But you would have to inlet the forend and drill a hole and make an escutchon so as to allow the screw to be tightened and not tear up the wood. Frank

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I was happy with the first answer but now I'm back to square one. I'll keep all the sugestions in mind but, as it is, I'm going to be shooting light to moderate Boolit loads off the bench. I'll also be looking for one of those many cut-down military stocks with front barrel band. I kind of like the looks of a faux carbine... Thanks, John

PS: Here's my other KragAttachment 174537
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    both screws go into the action... not wood screws...
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    You are hallucinating, both those screws go into the receiver.

That said, a barrel band or addition screw into the bottom of the front receiver ring will keep the barrel in place.

The rear of the magazine box should bear against the wood, as that is the only recoil lug to keep the wood in place. A shim or glas bedding is often needed in this area.
    It's been nearly 30 years since I had a Krag apart, so bear with me. Thanks for straightening me out. Maybe I should have taken my Krag out of the safe and looked, rather than going by memory...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    The original also had barrel bands(rifle) or a barrel band(carbine) helping to hold it in the stock. On a couple I re-made I drilled and tapped the bottom of the receiver ring 1/4-28 used a rem 700 guard screw and inletted a brass escutcheon into the stock. The Norwegian Krag was built that way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n karg.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	174578
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    The original also had barrel bands(rifle) or a barrel band(carbine) helping to hold it in the stock. On a couple I re-made I drilled and tapped the bottom of the receiver ring 1/4-28 used a rem 700 guard screw and inletted a brass escutcheon into the stock. The Norwegian Krag was built that way.
    That sounds like a great solution.