Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Ray room lead sheeting?

X-Ray room lead sheeting?

I possibly have a chance to get around #500 of lead sheeting that came from the walls of an X-Ray room for a little over $100 bucks. I know it's a stupid question but does it sound like a good buy?

from all I've read this can be considered pure lead and good for muzzle loaders or for mixing with harder alloys.

i'm still pretty new to casting and I just don't want to get burned on a bad deal because I didn't do my homework.

thanks!
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    CBOB0690

Boolit Master

Sounds ok to me but I haven't had to buy any lead as all that I have invested is my labor from smelting ww's into ignots
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Grab it, you'll regret it if you don't!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Great deal. Even with a LOT of wallpaper on it, it's still a super deal. Grab it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, thats a good deal. And yes, it will be very soft lead. Beware, it will probably have sheetrock and/or glue stuck to it. Not a big deal, but something else to contend with.

Do not pass it up.

I am beginning my adventure into BP shooting and I'm sure that myself and many others will be happy to use what you don't want.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    That's cheaper than scrap price. Go, go.go!

Boolit Master
    yep a good deal buy all you can at that price.you can allways swap with someone for a different alloyit you need something else

In Remembrance

That is indeed a fair price for the lead. The only downside about this is if you must remove the sheeting from being attached to drywall, that can be a messy and smelly job - been there and done that!Robert

thanks for the advice everyone. I thought it sounded like a good deal but figured it best to check with more knowledgeable people.

unfortunately for me I just found out the guy sold it to someone else. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
    oh well, back to the lead hunt.
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    CBOB0690

Boolit Master
    Time for stupid question. Doesn't x ray leave something undesirable in lead? I've read the same applies to car batteries, though I asked a shot maker (industrial not a backyard operation) what was their source of lead and he replied, we mostly use car batteries and recast WW into WW

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by LSCG View Post
    I possibly have a chance to get around #500 of lead sheeting that came from the walls of an X-Ray room for a little over $100 bucks. I know it's a stupid question but does it sound like a good buy?

from all I've read this can be considered pure lead and good for muzzle loaders or for mixing with harder alloys.

i'm still pretty new to casting and I just don't want to get burned on a bad deal because I didn't do my homework.

thanks!
    Don't go buy it............run toward it and throw your money ahead of you so someone else doesn't get it. I'd pay that in a heartbeat even if'n I had to rob a 7-11 to get the money!
    Chris

I've used it, works great. Buy it.

Boolit Man
    Radiation is energy it can not be stored in lead. Xray lead is safe to use.

Banned

yep.
    X-rays don't penetrate lead.
    anything it does absorb it gives back up again in a short period of time that's why it's used in the X-ray rooms and for moving around nuclear medicine.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
    Time for stupid question. Doesn't x ray leave something undesirable in lead? I've read the same applies to car batteries, though I asked a shot maker (industrial not a backyard operation) what was their source of lead and he replied, we mostly use car batteries and recast WW into WW
    The possible undesireable thing from melting batteries down is the possible retention of battery acid compounds. There is nothing in x ray shielding lead with the possibality of removing the glued on drywall.Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks for explaining! I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff... Was awful in physics and chemistry in school...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LSCG View Post
    thanks for the advice everyone. I thought it sounded like a good deal but figured it best to check with more knowledgeable people.

unfortunately for me I just found out the guy sold it to someone else. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
    oh well, back to the lead hunt.

You're gonna miss a lot of good buys if you don't read and research beforehand, as you just found out. Read, research, buy as it comes up. Knowledge is good.

Better luck next time.

Banned

I scored a ton of it a few years back. Never had it tested but was told that its pure with 1 percent antimony added to make it easier to handle when there handling it. I use it as pure.

Banned
    Go for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast