Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Speed of PP bullet?

Boolit Master

Speed of PP bullet?

I know this has been ask 1000,s of times but! A PP lead bullet can be shot how many fps?

Fly

Apparently...faster than their same weight compadres in Semi Jacketed or FMJ, so...I guess, for any given round, how ever fast it does normally, same loading will do faster with PP.

In Remembrance

When I start loading a PP boolet for a different caliber rifle I start at the lowest listed load for a comparable `J` bullet load in about any `J` bullet loading manual and in 1/10th gr. increments work up for better accuracy/velocity results. You in all terms are loading and shooting a form of a jacketed bullet and not a lead/lubed boolet. You can achieve quite close to jacketed velocities with experimentation. My self I tend to stop when I find nice accuracy over another 50 FPS more load.Robert

Boolit Master
    Generally I use jword minimu n ms to start. Then work up in 1/2 grain increments. I go for more accuracy then higher speed

Boolit Master
    Well I,m thinking about loading some PP lead bullets for one of my Mosin Nagants. Can anyone help me on bullet
    mold & powder load for a start?

Fly

In Remembrance

Before the `medical problems` fell on me I had started working on a Mosin load. I was using a RCBS 30 - 180 FN mold with not sizing the boolet as it fell. I was using ordinary copier paper wet wrapped then with some JPW on the dried paper I pushed it thru a .313" sizer. I don`t recall the powder load as that info is not with me. My Mosin is a 1939 `Izzy`.Robert

Boolit Master
    I got over 2800 fps with a .223 but accuracy was in the 2"+ range. I had much better accuracy at around 2500 fps. I wanted to try Lino body/ soft nose bullets , BUT they were to hard to make consistently. .308 150's and 165's easily went over 2500 accurately patched with Teflon pipe tape. Paper is/was too hard to roll on with my arthritic hands. Then again I do NOT need that much speed to slay the dragons I hunt! Normal cast boolit speeds works very well on groundhogs and deer in calibers from 7mm to 45-70. You just gotta get closer!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well I,m thinking about loading some PP lead bullets for one of my Mosin Nagants. Can anyone help me on bullet
    mold & powder load for a start?

Fly

Hi Fly!
    Mosins are sometimes tough to get to shoot well with PP thanks to the generous throat and sometimes worn rifling. But my best results have been with fairly heavy 30 caliber bullets, patched up to be a slip fit in a fired case neck. Usually around .315". Loaded over a lightly duplexed (with 4227 or 2400 or RE7) charge of WC860 or WC872, enough powder to set the seating depth to allow the patch to cam into the rifling when the bolt is closed. I use about 4 grains of booster powder, don't use too much or pressures start to go up quickly.

Loaded this way I got pretty close to normal military ball velocities and performance, brass lasts forever since you don't size it, and it's cheap to shoot. I never got the accuracy of my better rifles that had dimensions better suited to patched bullets, but it was good enough to ring the steel at the range and bruise my shoulder up nicely.

-Nobade

I do mine between 1120 and 1450.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Paper Patched driven by smokeless can be driven to some extreme velocities upward of 3000 fps with reasonable accuracy. For practicality, 2000 to 2600 is not hard to achieve and gives you range performance equal to jacketed bullets. For velocity under 1800, paper patching is not needed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Paper Patched driven by smokeless can be driven to some extreme velocities upward of 3000 fps with reasonable accuracy. For practicality, 2000 to 2600 is not hard to achieve and gives you range performance equal to jacketed bullets. For velocity under 1800, paper patching is not needed.
    Except you can use a lot softer alloy to achieve that speed and no fancy lube recipes need to be made.

I have found it is easy to get to 18-2000 fps with a 30-30 with usually better accuracy in my gun than jacket or just as good.
    With 150-170 grns good enough for me in this light carbine.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 08-27-2016 at 12:42 AM.