Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: powder coating with rotary tumbler

Boolit Bub

powder coating with rotary tumbler

Has anyone tried to get a static charge with a rotary wet tumbler like the vibrating tumbler method would a rotary work better for static like clothes in a dryer
    -zach

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Why? It's not that hard or time consuming to use a #2 plastic container.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Zthomps View Post
    Has anyone tried to get a static charge with a rotary wet tumbler like the vibrating tumbler method would a rotary work better for static like clothes in a dryer
    -zach
    I tried that not to long ago, the results were rather disappointing. I just went back to the container method and like it better..
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Since my homebuilt vibrator works so well, I can't see any advantage to tumbling the bullets. All I can think of is disadvantages like possible damage to the bullets and a more time consuming process, but its good to think outside the box, no pun intended.

Boolit Bub
    I just thought I might of had more of a static cling for the powder to the bullet currently I use a harbor freight vibrating tumbler but I have a home made wet tumbler that uses 4in pvc tubes for the drums

Boolit Master
    If you are really lazy you could throw a sealed tub into your rotary tumbler. I did it out of curiosity and the results were uniformly poor. A vibratory tumbler or hand shaking works much better and faster.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 tumblers so using one for PC is not an issue. But I did not see any better results using a tumbler vs 30 seconds in a plastic tub. If anything the tub works better as I can put the lid on and put it away for next time. The tumbler is not really something you can 'seal' to keep out the humidity. And takes up alot more space. I can also have multiple tubs for different colors vs cleaning out the tumbler each time. I also do not make piles of bullets at a time, where I need that much capacity.

And your lack of results may depend on your powder. I bought the harbor freight stuff, some colors worked ok, some sucked. I went thru the page of stuff to use, and found 2 colors that give such great results in a plastic tub. I had considered buying a gun, but whats the need if a tub and the right powder works? Its $60 I can spend on lead to make more bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah right now I just have the harbor freight red

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why differ from what we all have proven to be fool-proof? A rotary tumbler will knock the powder off like crazy. Even the vibrator (for me) yields extremely poor uncacceptable coatings becuase of the unevenness of the appplication. And it takes waaaaaaay too long!

BBDT with #5 bowl or ESPC (the BEST) and 30 seconds will give you excellent results. The VERY LITTLE work it takes to shake & roll a bowl should not bother anyone physically. If you cannnot do that simple motion, how do you shoot a gun over and over at the range??????

banger

Boolit Bub
    I guess I'd say the simple fact of just experimentation and knowing it could be done you never tried something just for fun I don't see how your vibrating tumbler knocks the powder off mine makes it cling to it pretty well and not knock any powder off

Boolit Bub
    But I also set it and walk away and go do other stuff like cast more bullets or whatever
    -zach

Boolit Master
    Yeah right now I just have the harbor freight red
    I got garbage results with the HF red, no matter how I did it. I switched to powder by the pound, and works great.

Boolit Bub
    I haven't looked there yet still getting into it I like how the powder coat doesn't clog the dies and isn't sticky how much is powder by the pound prices

Boolit Master
    I say give it a try, power by the pound has some good powders.
    -zach

Boolit Bub
    What colors are recommended or r they already posted in this forum somewhere

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a thread that lists powder that have been tested. Smoke tests all his powders B4 he sells them on here.

So some reading in the stickies......worth your time!

As far as "walking away" from a tumbler......total waste of my time! I can swirl and coat 75 or more boolits in 30 seconds using a #5 Coolwhip bowl!!!!! Why walk away?!?!?!?!?!?

And.......is the " . " On your keyboard lost?!?!?!?!?

banger

Boolit Bub
    I guess could be a waste I'm still trying to see what works best for me I guess I've only had luck with handgun bullets atm I tried 230gr 300blk outs but they didn't really take the powder like the pistol rounds

Boolit Grand Master
    The cal and weight of your boolits should make absolutely no difference at all with BBDT. I coat everything from 223 55gn to 45 300gn with excellent results using my trusty #5 Ziplok or coolwhip bowls and HF or Smoke's powders. And black ASBB's. 30 seconds = perfect coats....every time.

Just keep tryin'. You will get there. It took me several months of trial & error to get the BBDT thing to work perfectly. Once you figure out how to "hold yer mouth jes right", all will become perfectly clear!

banger

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Smoke has his powders up on the front page of the Selling area right now, You can also click on his name and you should be able to find more info on his powders with a little homework. For the most part all his powders work good excluding FLAT BLACK, from what I have seen.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

first: nothing wrong with trying a new way--after all 5 years ago no one was PC bullets (that I know of)

I bought some #5 containers with screw on lids and tried them in my vibrating tumbler--three would fit in; tried with and without the lid to the bowl. It took longer and as mentioned above results were poor.

Keep pushing the envelop--you never know when you'll hit on the next big idea
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast