Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Lube too soft for pistol?

Boolit Mold

Lube too soft for pistol?

Hi all, first post on this site, but lots of great data here.

Just got started with cast bullets for pistol after casting for rifles again for last year or so, using COWW+ 2%Sn. Have been using LBT Blue Soft with no problems or leading in 45-70 loads, and since its in already in my LAM 2, tried it with 2 different 45 ACP bullets. Here is issue - with the Accurate 452-230E bullet (a 230gr TC with a single groove), function and accuracy seem very good, even with lots of lube spray on targets out to 10 yds. However with the RCBS 45-200 SWC (a 200gr 2 groove design), accuracy is very good but gun will not go fully into battery within about 10 rounds due to a "glob" of lube at the front end of the chamber. Wipe off, and get the same problem in 5-6 rounds. Load is 5.4 - 700x (meets IPSC major) if that matters, sized to .452, haven't tried with other loads yet. Don't have this problem with commercial 200 SWCs.

Seems that the LBT is too "soft" in this application - any recommendations on using different lube, how far I should go up the hardness scale (on the lube, not the bullet)? Is this particular bullet not happy at more stout load levels?

Thanks, KLD

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if lube can be too soft , could be , but first try lubing just one groove instead of both, it might simply be a matter of too much.
    I notice the RCBS 45-200-SWC has two grooves but the 45-201-SWC has only one groove ? Both bullets are quite similar except for one groove and two groove. Could be filling only one groove will eliminate the excess build up.

I have always filled both grooves on the Lyman #452460 design with soft lube (lithium-beeswax)and shot 45acp in NRA Bullseye matches for years....never had any FTC from lube build up ? The "glob" build up every 5-6 rounds is a puzzling one .
    Gary

Boolit Master

Too much lube for a pistol. If you were shooting a 30" rifle at very high velocities maybe you may need both grooves

A big welcome here from Tulsa! listen to randyrat, he knows his stuff, and can provide you with all your boolit lube needs too. don't worry about it, one groove will be plenty for a few inches of barrel. enjoy the sight, I have! The O.K. Kidd A.K.A Travis.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned

one tiny groove full is enough for 30"s of barrel.
    I done a test with the 358091 [a 148gr wad cutter] and found that just lubing the bottom groove provided better accuracy.
    if you have ever seen this boolit you'd know the lube grooves are about this - thick.
    I filled all the grooves, just the top one, just the bottom one [best] tried three different lubes in the grooves reversed their order, and swapped out lubes.
    in all cases just the bottom one worked best.

what concerns me more is the lube boogers on your target, they are not helping your accuracy in any way.
    the lube either needs to fling off at the muzzle in a fine mist or it needs to stay on the boolit through the target.

however your mucky mess right now is along the lines of a test I have been running for a while now where I started out with a too soft lube in my 9mm's.
    I have progressively hardened the lube with more wax it has gone from flinging lube all over the inside and outside of the guns to getting cleaner and cleaner [and less smokey] and the accuracy has also improved with each batch.
    i'll find the tipping point where the lube starts performing worse then back up again.

which is what I would recommend here, [add more wax 10%] your just blowing the lube out of the groove when the case pops open and blowing it down the barrel enough to not have any leading, but your making a mess inside the gun in the process.
    probably seeing plenty of smoke too.