Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dillon Case Feeder - Battery Power?

Boolit Buddy

Dillon Case Feeder - Battery Power?

In the near future I going to lose my shop where I do all my reloading.

My bench and 1050 will be moved into a mini storage unit with no electricity available.

Has anyone ever ran a Dillon Case Feeder off a 12 volt deep cell battery and an inverter?

You would not get very long to run it. A small generator would do better.

Boolit Master
    I think you'd be better off changing out the case feeder motor for a 12v motor.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I've got a 12v inverter to 110v, if you have a good car battery or marine battery aka deep cycle that you could recharge after reloading.

This would get it done its 1000W inverter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61N6BR22qIL__SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	174234
    This one pictured is $90 free shipping off of Amazon, but it has everything you need to hook right into your battery.
    https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-1000W-.../dp/B007SLDDHQ
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy

You will kill a car battery doing that, so you need a deep cycle battery. If you are only powering the case feed and maybe an additional light you should be good for several hours before you need a recharge.
    L.E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by L Erie Caster View Post
    You will kill a car battery doing that, so you need a deep cycle battery. If you are only powering the case feed and maybe an additional light you should be good for several hours before you need a recharge.
    How many amps does that case feed motor pull?

My bench and 1050 will be moved into a mini storage unit with no electricity available
    Are you going to be reloading in the dark? If so you are going to want enough power for lights as well. If not, there is already power there.

That said it wouldn't take much of an inverter, it draws far less than an amp and that is only while its running. As you know it only runs until the tube is full, then power is disconnected.

Boolit Master
    A quick call to Dillon or a look at the motor will tell you about how many amps. I know of Spolar hydraulics hooked to a deep cycle battery through an inverter for use in a travel trailer.

Take care

r1kk1

I cast boolits, have light and watch TV on 400 watts of solar feeding 460 amp hours of batteries. That's 4 6V 230amp/hr batteries hooked up in series and parrallel. The inverter is 2500 watts continuous, 5000 peak. LED or even compact fluorescent lights don't draw much. If what someone said is accurate and the motor is drawing an amp or less, you could easily do that on a couple batteries and an inverter. Maybe prop up a 50 or 100 watt solar panel outside to keep them topped off then you don't even have to drag the batteries around with you to recharge. If you go this route, you want true golf cart/industrial cart batteries, not fishing deep cycle batteries and certainly not automotive batteries. BatteriesPlus has a selection of Duracell brand 6V batteries. I think a 215 amp/hr is $99. A pair of those would give you 215amp/hrs at 12 volts. I use the slightly larger and more expensive 230 amp/hr batteries. I think they're $110 each?

Ok, I just connected the latest Dillon collator to a 150watt/450 peak inverter from HF, this one.

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=7358

At 120vac the collator draws .3-.4 amps 120vac between run and stall the power drawn by the inverter is 1.5-1.6 amps 12vdc between run and stall.

An amp an a half is not much. If you have ever had your car off and listened to the radio, you were at more risk of killing the battery and again you are not going to have a consistent draw of 1.5 amps anyway as it is only running when it needs to add another case to the tube. Kind of like the parking lights on your car or truck are going to draw between 4-5 amps from the battery but your hazard lights even if they will draw the same current will run much longer off the same power source.

Just the inverter turned on draws .3 amps 12vdc.

That's a lot different than my 2500 watt inverter running a 14" chopsaw but you also can't plug it into a cigarette lighter outlet as it's drawing over 250 amps from the batteries the instant you pull the trigger.

A 7.5Ah deer feeder battery and small inverter would be more than enough to run a collator, for any normal load session.
    Last edited by jmorris; 08-12-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the info on the batteries and inverters.
    I think I'll check out what Batteries Plus has to offer.

Boolit Master
    I was going to say the same as Jmorris, it wouldn't use a lot of power at all. I think you'd be surprised at how long a cheap/common 12v 7ah SLA battery, commonly used in UPSs. They don't enjoy being fully flattened and charged, so best to use it and take it home and charge so it doesn't fully drain.