RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaver anyone?

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte

Question Weaver anyone?

Got the MidwayUSA flyer yesterday and saw they have some Weaver scopes on sale at decent prices.

This got me to thinking, I and my father are the only folks I know who have Weaver scopes on anything. Most others are Leopold, Nikon, and the like.

I have several Weavers on different rifles and handguns, all of which are clear and dependable. One I have is an old steel-tube 4X on my Handi 45-70. It's been on the gun for 8 years, never changes zero, and has to be at least 25 years old. They seem like good stuff to me.

Does anyone else have any Weavers? If so, have you had any problems? Or have I just gotten lucky?
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master
    Several Weavers here. No problems. I like the V-series mildot.

Boolit Buddy

I think todays Weaver scopes are made by Simmons.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    I had a couple of Weaver fixed power scopes, 2x, 3x, 6x.

Never had a problem with them and to the best of my knowledge they are still on the rifles and the guys that own them now are happy.

I have switched to iron sights so my scoped rifles got sold.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I like the Grand Slam series a lot. Clear and repeatable adjustments.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by bullshot View Post
    I think todays Weaver scopes are made by Simmons.
    You mean "by the same company that makes Simmons". Simmons, Weaver, Tasco, and all the other names, except possibly Leupold and Burris, are just Brand names, the actual producers are unknown companies in Korea, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, etc. By and large, they do a pretty good job, as Leupold has priced themselves out of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    You mean "by the same company that makes Simmons". Simmons, Weaver, Tasco, and all the other names, except possibly Leupold and Burris, are just Brand names, the actual producers are unknown companies in Korea, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, etc. By and large, they do a pretty good job, as Leupold has priced themselves out of the market.
    Not true that Leupold has priced them selves out of the Market, All those other have simply went to a cheaper labor market, You want scopes, or anything built by Americans you have to pay for it.

For my Gopher Guns, I like the Weaver 6X with AO.
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Master

I don't know about the newer Weavers, but I do have several of the old K-series scopes and most of them are older than I am. I got them from my Father and his friends as they upgraded to more modern higher powered scopes. I have used them for between 25 to 30 years, and I know some of the scopes were pushing 20 years old when they were given to me. I wish I could find an inexpensive scope as durable as the old Weaver scopes were today.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    I bought one of their 2x7 rimfire 7 or 8 yrs ago for my dad and it is one of the clearest little scopes you could ask for it will allow the 77/22 22mag put 5 in m.o.a. I've also got a 2 1/2 on my 458 Lott and it's a dandy.

Boolit Master

I have 4 of the older steel tubes. combine the four weavers with one old 6x burris mini and I have had those scopes on a bunch of guns all have been durable and usable. I am currently playing with a 1x shotgun scope with box reticle on a m96 swede with scout mount. Not quite the eye relief needed but it will work.

If someone ahs a long eye relief steel tube pistol scope that they would trade for a steel tube k4 I would like to hear from you.

I had a very bad experience with a redfield scope that had a bent tube from the factory and the company that owns them was piss poor on the warranty/repair. I finally sent it to an independant scope repair shop and swore I would not own another simmons/redfield/weaver etc.. that was sold by the then copany that owned all those brand names. The only thing one company can offer over another is good customer service, they did not have it and they know it.

Jeremy

Boolit Master
    I have several of the old T-series Weaver target scopes that were made in El Paso and am very happy. I think the new Weavers are made in Japan.

Jerry

T-16 on No.1 in .357Max
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    T-16 on No.1 in .357Max
    Jerry,

That isn't an outdoorsman!

From the number of molds you have, I thought you must have at least 5 safes full of outdoorsmen and no time for the long guns... nice outfit though.

I don't own any Weaver scopes but I like their new mounting and ring systems. They're part of ATK Industries now acquired from Meade Instruments. RCBS is part of ATK’s Civil Ammunition Systems Group.

ATK is a huge multinational corporation involved in: solid rocket motors, weapon, space systems, ammunition, solid rocket propulsion systems, composite structures, missile defense systems, aerospace applications, solid rocket booster, propellant.

There Aerospace and Defense Division is headquartered in Edina, Minnesota, ATK Ammunition Systems Group is a leading supplier of small and medium caliber military ammunition, ammunition propellant, commercial and military smokeless powder, law enforcement and sporting ammunition, ammunition related products and an operator of two U.S. Army ammunition manufacturing plants. The organization employs approximately 5,000 people.

Meade Instruments is the optics company that made (I should say imports) various brands of scopes not made here... Meade is on the verge of collapse, they closed their plant in the US and moved it to Mexico and sold brand names like Weaver to reduce their losses.

I respect Leupold, Burris and other companies that try to stay in the market with products made here but I personally can't afford optics that cost more than a decent rifle.

It's hard to draw the line on what is or isn't made in the US nowadays anyway; as most, if not all of the parts used in these products aren't made here. If the final assembly is done here it can be stamped as made in the USA.

Boomer
    Last edited by Boomer Mikey; 05-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

In Remembrance
    I bought a V-7 in 1969 to replace one that was lost (stolen) by the Post Office. But the only choice on the day I purchased was the post and crosshair reticle...which I didn't really like.

After a couple of years of use, I was playing with 'focusing' the eyepiece, and unscrewed it right off of the tube. That winter, I had problems with it fogging up when brought into a warm tent at night.

That spring, I sent it to Texas to be purged and sealed, and asked them if they could change the reticle. They said the 'repair' would be free, but that 'change' would cost me. So, I sent them their pound of flesh, and have been using the scope ever since.

Might be the best five bucks I ever spent...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Back in the days when Weavers were made at El Paso,Tx they were a very good scope for the money,they were the poor man's scope.. Back then, possibly Rochester,NY made Bausch & Lomb's were the best---but they cost more. First rifle I bought was equipped with a Weaver K-4, this was in 1967. I bought a Weaver brand lens protector as well. In early 80's when I removed the lens protector it broke the plastic ring at the front of the scope and the scope fogged. This ring was metal on older models---they had cheapened their product. I sent scope, with protector on it and explained what happened. They came back with send check for the repair. I sent letter that THEIR protective equipment is what wrecked it,why should I pay? After a time it appeared that my only recourse was to pay the ransom. The day my mailman picked up the check,he also delivered the scope. Had Weaver decided I was right and sent the scope? They cashed the check. My dad,brother and I all used Weavers for a lot of years and the problem I described and a problem my dad had with one that required sending back were the only problems. In 1947 Jack O'Connor wrote a very good article on sighting in scopes that was in Outdoor Life. Weaver reprinted the article and it was included with all Weaver scopes when they were made in El Paso. Basic jest of article was to sight in MOST rifles at 25 yards and they'd be on again (around 200 or so ---depending on bullet,velocity etc etc (probably RPM) ). Just about the same thing as Sierras Point Blank Range. In my books,todays poor man scope is Leupold. They have not priced themselves out. Get a bargain scope and when it gives problems, it may not be a bargain. Bargain scope gives problem, you pay postage to send it in and often time a repair bill of $15. If company still available and hasnt changed hands several times. You now make trip to range to sight it back in. Scope NOT fixed,so another trip to post office and pay postage again and when you get it back---another trip to the range. Where's the savings???? Leupold probably wont give as many problems---yes they give problems---it gets fixed free--usually first time. Use it a few years and if you decide to sell it,it will often times bring more than you paid. .

Montana Charlie----You bought a V-7? Don't you watch tv? Cudda had a V-8.

In Remembrance
    (head slap!)
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I still have a number of Texas-made Weavers, but they are getting fewer. I put my treasured K-2.5 on my new 336 for load testing, and when I looked at the target, I realized it now had about a foot of parallax at 70 yds. Might have had something to do with all those years on the .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    The old steel K-3 on my .458 is still going strong--I won't claim many factory rounds, though--I still have a few rounds from the 2 boxes I bought with my first .458, in 1981. Some striving handloads, yes.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Ruger M77 .338 magnum wears a 25 year old Weaver 3X9. Not only has it held up to several thousand rounds of heavy recoil, but a few years ago I had an accident. I was Elk hunting and tried to climb an 8' outcropping. I was just about at the top when my foot slipped and the rifle slipped off my shoulder. It made a sickening clang as it bounced end over end about 3 times and landed in a pile of boulders. The rifle has several dings, and the scope took a major hit on the objective end. That ended that hunt, I was sure it would no longer shoot to zero. I took it to the rifle range a day or two latter, and it was shooting exactly were it did before the wreck.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Smile

I've had a K-4W on a .30-06 M77 since 1984. Never had any trouble with it.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast