MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Shooting distace How far?

Boolit Master

Shooting distace How far?

Okay speed 1450 FBS. , BB steel shot , 98 hits in a 30 inch circle At 47 Yds. How far would you shoot at geese?

Large South James Bay, and South James Bay Subspecies.

Boolit Grand Master

I use BBB in a 3 1/2" 12 gauge on greater Canadians. I normally shoot 60 to 70 per season. I prefer to keep my shots under 35 yards. At 45 plus I start to get cripples and gliders but if you do everything right that load will crumple them at 50 yards.

Two years ago I killed 60 geese with 64 shots. This year killed 70 with 81 shots. I am not counting the one my buddy broke a wing on. It was too cold for the dog and the snow was deep. I gave chase but 50 or 60 yards as a close as I could get. I think it to me eleven or twelve shots before stopped it.

I don't care for sky busters.

I struggled for years with geese. #3 buck in 20 gauge, everything from bb's on up in 12.

Then one day a small group of 6 came over while I was loaded for big northern mallards.
    Boom, boom, boom first 2 folded clean third and farthest one fluttered a little coming down and tried to swim. Broken wing, but hurt too.

WTH How did I just do that? Hunted up the empty's. Dueces, inside of 50 with enough lead. First 2 where both head shots.

I keep some buckshot around, but I don't waste it on geese.

Dueces and close, and LEAD enough. When you aim at the lead bird and hit the third one back, you ain't got enough. Them suckers MOVE.

Boolit Master

I don't hunt geese any more the marshes are for young people and I am not as mad at them as I use to be but number 4 buck shot was my favorite load when I did hunt.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about the Steel BBs, but Tungsten is good much further. I use the Federal Dead Coyote Load, and have killed They stone Dead out to about 55 Yards. I am using a benelli with a Carlson's Coyote Choke. My Problem is it shoots too tight, and you miss. I have never recovered a Tungsten BB from a Canadian Goose Yet.

In a Test I fired #4 Lead Buck against a Galvanized Steel Garbage Can at 50 Yards. I got about 75% of the Pellets to hit it. Only one side was penetrated, the other was dented. I tried the same shot with Tungsten and had about 85-90% Hits on the Can, and complete Penetration. The Downside is the Cost at about $3 per round.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Master
    Steel is not like lead, or bismuth, or tungsten, and I would not try much past 40 yds at ducks or geese, it's too easy to wound those tough birds.