RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: 444 Marlin heavy boolit loads

444 Marlin heavy boolit loads

Hi, I've got a barrel for a H&R Handi Rifle. H&R 1871 told me that it has a 1 in 20 twist rate (the .44 mag barrel had a 1 in 38 so I got the .444). I've always been curious about using it as a .45-70 surrogate. Does anybody have an idea as to how heavy of boolits will stabilize in this barrel at say 1500 fps.? It being a Handi rifle, recoil will probly be a limiting factor in actuality, but we could still test the ether, and see what is feasible.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

You should check the rifling rate yourself. SAAMI spec is 1:38" and it is unusual for manufacturers to deviate.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...4%20Marlin.pdf

I have the Lee .430 310 grain wide meplat round nose gas check mold in a 2 cavity and my .444marlin Handi rifle loves that boolit. I am using Ben's Liquid Lube and range lead + a little tin and it works fine at lower speeds.

I shoot mine with an "Ed Harris" 13 grain load of Red Dot and get cloverleafs at 50y and I would get them at 100 if I could do my part as well as my rifle does its part.

The Red Dot makes a nice smooth shooting load under the big 310 grain boolit. Although my shoulder will start complaining after 10-15 rounds or so. But I'm a lightweight when it comes to recoil.

I don't shoot this rifle a lot, I am saving it for when I want something big and mean really really dead right now.

No chrono but I estimate speed in the 1600fps and up range.

Ballistics tables say that a 310 grain boolit doing 1600 fps muzzle is still doing better than 1300 fps at 100 yards with over 1000 foot pounds of energy.

If I could take the recoil I would look hard at both IMR 3031 and 4895. As I think both could significantly improve that speed. But for me the low recoil, low cost, and dependable accuracy of the load makes it one that I treasure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Parts II and III appear to be unavailable. Can you provide links to them?

My .45-70 Ballard with a Green Mountain barrel is a 1:18" twsit rate and shoots 500 grain bullets very accurately. The 1:20" twist should stabilize even the heaviest bullets for a .444 with no problem. Just be sure to check it, and know it truly is a 1:20" twist rate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    You should check the rifling rate yourself. SAAMI spec is 1:38" and it is unusual for manufacturers to deviate.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...4%20Marlin.pdf
    it has been 1 in 20" for years now. Marlin Model 444

my own 444 is a tc encore with a 23" MGM barrel in 1 in 20". using cast boolits, i believe it goes up to 455gr sg Next Test- 455gr SG, 310gr Lead Head, 325gr MM, 220gr 30Cal Nosler Partition

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Look here. Three parts.
    Thanks. I printed them to mail to my brother, who lives on the family farm in the mountains where there is no Internet or cell phone service. He'll enjoy them.

Take care, Tom

Banned
    flat top, mt sourdough, starrbow, rooterpig, frankenmauser and others have shown what a 444 marlin in a levergun can do. in a 1 in 38" twist it is believed a 350gr +/- boolit and a 1 in 20" does a 455gr + boolit.

there are a few things in a lever you can do when using a 455gr boolit, but that is flat top's advice. i'm trying a 280gr wfn gc in mine, i don't think i could take the recoil in a 455gr . it is truly a great gun, be it single shot, lever or bolt actionMauser 98 Chambered in 444 Marlin.

Boolit Master
    444 in a mauser!! If I had surplus money I would have done that years ago! I am not a mine is better than yours type of guy. I had a 444 marlin in the mid 70's and now we have a Winchester timber rifle. No comparison between the two in my eyes. The Winchester has 1 in 20 or 1in 22, I don't remember. I do know the 444 is capable of reducing you to crying puddle if you really load it hot and heavy. I shot a full load 45-70 and the two are the same in my book except I like the longer boolit a 444 will send down range. Just my 2 cents and to the op you are only playing with the throttle at those numbers!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    444 in a mauser!! If I had surplus money I would have done that years ago! I am not a mine is better than yours type of guy. I had a 444 marlin in the mid 70's and now we have a Winchester timber rifle. No comparison between the two in my eyes. The Winchester has 1 in 20 or 1in 22, I don't remember. I do know the 444 is capable of reducing you to crying puddle if you really load it hot and heavy. I shot a full load 45-70 and the two are the same in my book except I like the longer boolit a 444 will send down range. Just my 2 cents and to the op you are only playing with the throttle at those numbers!!
    if i weren't handicapped(stroke), i would have built it in a mauser!!! i truly like the way flat top made his own boolit, the 455gr safari grade. that mauser and that boolit could take a elephant down! yes op, those numbers will definitly bring a tear of pain to your eyes.

when i bought my tc encore with a 444 MGM barrel(after i had the stroke), i decided to take it slow in the velocity department. i was using a 275gr ranch dog and some rel7 when i decided to quit, it was around 2100fps before i was introduced to my scope( never do that again, ouch). i bought a leopuld after that. i have a 45-70 handi rifle but it stays in the safe, not because its not good enuff or anything, i have a 444 and it gets quite a bit of use out of her. right now i have a 280gr wfn gc and rel7 that goes around 1800-1900fps, thats good enuff for deer/black bear.

i do however, like the way the op thinks!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I've bought an H&R rifle in 444 Marlin and it had become love at "first kick" for me. I had been reloading it without all the required dies and getting good results. Definitely I need more loads to test to find the famous pet load so I can settle down with. Mine is a 1:20" rifling.
    I love it!
    I had just bought the Lee 310gr gc mold today to develop loads.
    camba