WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to figure out what i have to make .224 out .22 cases

trying to figure out what i have to make .224 out .22 cases

i bought this mold and die set but dont know whats what nothing is marked and not sure if i have every thing i think its corbin brand hope some one can help thank you .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	174120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	174121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	174122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	174123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	174124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	174125

Boolit Master
    It does look like Corbin stuff. Mostly. The mould in Pic #6 is the core mould for the .22 core slugs. You mount it off the edge of a bench, pour in the lead, swing the sprue cutter and push all those rods on the bottom. The cores should pop out. The nuts adjust the lengths for the grains weight of bullet you want.

In the lower right of your Pic #1 is the standoff for your ironing punch. It should have a domed washer that fits in the top. Then you have, somewhere in there, the punch and die that irons the rim on the .22 cases. Your ironed case will either pop out the top of the die or stick to the punch and be stripped off by the washer.

Then it's a matter of measuring and figuring out which punches and dies fit each other for core swaging, core seating and point forming. You ought to get on the Corbin web site and read about swaging. You might need some gauge pins and a micrometer to find out what is what. If you are close to Corbin's in Oregon, it might be worth taking the stuff over there for them to sort out. Cheaper than messing up a die cavity with a mismatched punch.

A couple of those pieces look like SAS dies for the Mity Mite press. Your reading on the Corbin site ought to get you up to speed on those as well. A lot of those punches, like the pointy ones, I have no idea about. You might post your photos in the Swaging section; the expertise is more concentrated there.

Incredible. You just found that stuff all mixed together; no boxes, no labels, no notes, no books?

Boolit Grand Master

How much do you wanna bet it was an auction and someone just dumped stuff in boxes to sell, no idea what they had.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

you have a good mix of stuff there.
    the punches would go in where a shell holder would go.
    but the dies look to be smaller than a standard reloading press would take.
    some of the punches look like they are for expanding the jackets up to a larger diameter.
    your just gonna have to measure the stems diameters and figure each one out.
    you could have core seating stems for 22 lr jackets and for different jacket thicknesses [sierra/corbin J-4]
    and the difference is .002 or less.

i got them from A guy selling some dies and i scored them for 32 bucks thanks for the help guys ive figured out what some of the stuff is and there are no markings on them i read the early corbin dies were not marked and there web site isnt that user friendly so tank u for the help and the dies thread in the rcbs press i have

do you know of a thread on here that has them on there

Boolit Master
    32 bucks? You need to go and buy that guy a bottle of 12 year old scotch, maybe 2 bottles. Make a call to Dave Corbin and make arrangements to drive over and talk to him for an hour or two. If there is anything you are missing he will let you know and might just have it on the shelf. The core mold in itself is worth more than what you paid for the whole lot.

i know i got a good a bunch of cores and everything made up and maybe 200 projectiles to

Boolit Master
    The top die with the hex nut on top looks like a de-rim die for 22lr cases, it will have a 5mm punch (possibly the one with the washer on it) and there should be a "tube" that slips over the ram on the press. Place the punch in the ram, drop the tube over the punch and ram, and then fit the washer on the punch. The fired 22 case will slip on the punch and when run through the die will take the rim off of thecase leaving you a .700-.705 jacket for .224 bullets. You will want to buy or make some swage lube (lanolin and castor oil).

Dave Corbin should have all of his books posted somewhere on his website, but you may have to look around for them. I know his website is not the easiest to find information on.

Wanna double your money? I'll even cover shipping.

lol no ive been reloading my own .223/5.56 rounds i wanna give these a try to get them working

Boolit Master
    Thirty-two bucks.

Finally got a chance to use these things.

Last time I was on Corbin's web site there was tons of info, and I didn't find it hard to navigate. The only things I couldn't figure out were those die designations: S-1, etc. If the site doesn't have them as free PDFs any more, order Discover Swaging, Rediscover Swaging and The Corbin Technical Bulletins. You'll know more about how to use that stuff than most of us by the time you get through reading those books. You may be able to get the instructions for use of the die sets from Corbin as well.

You probably have about seven hundred dollars worth of stuff there, if none of that surface rust I note here and there has gotten into the die cavities. It would be worth your while to do some serious reading up on what you have. I think there is a thread called ".22 RF Bullets Start To Finish" or some such, in the Swaging section here. That should get you started.

thank u sir

corbin .223/.224 jacket maker set

rim fire jacket maker to turn fired.22lr cases in to .223/.243 caliber bullet in to the range of 50-80 grains open tip lead tip and full metal jackets use any reloading press that takes 7/8-14 threaded dies and standard RCBS type button shell holder comes with 4 dies and 11 base formers and a core mold there a core cutter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	186310
    Last edited by ddunlevy81; 01-26-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add pictures

Boolit Master
    Glad to see you got them sorted out. Have you made any bullets yet?

yeah i formed a few the single stage rcbs partner press isnt strong enough for me to do all the steps but i a did de rim a few 22lr brass and cored them and put tips on them the set up and would just need a little bigger press to get it done that would get them done faster

I been thinking about getting into turn all my 22lr case into bullets.Should i spend the money on it, because of all the empty I have from the trap line I save.I do have a single stage press of Hornady.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    You will need a press with compound leverage, and an "O" style frame.

As to whether you " should," that is your call. The die sets are expensive, unless you luck out like ddunleavy81, and they are only "economical" to those that make thousands and thousands of bullets. If you are interested in the process, want a back up plan against bullet shortages, or are just curious, the costs could be chalked up to the same curiosity you might have for a rifle in an unusual caliber you want to try out.

mine are for sale if u wanted to start making them

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    You will need a press with compound leverage, and an "O" style frame.

As to whether you " should," that is your call. The die sets are expensive, unless you luck out like ddunleavy81, and they are only "economical" to those that make thousands and thousands of bullets. If you are interested in the process, want a back up plan against bullet shortages, or are just curious, the costs could be chalked up to the same curiosity you might have for a rifle in an unusual caliber you want to try out.
    Thank you for your help.You explain it easy for me to understand better.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast