WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas check price question????

Boolit Man

Gas check price question????

Can anyone tell us why Lyman gas checks cost almost double those of Hornady???? Are they really that much better??? I mean how much can there be to a gas check?? I have used the Hornady ones and they seem to do the job and work just fine. What else {if anything} for double the money can be expected out of the Lymans??? Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I believe Hornady GCs and Lyman GCs are made by the same manufacturer.
    I think they are both over priced, I tend to buy Gator GCs if I want copper or if I want aluminum GCs, I'll buy those from a Castboolits vendor.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I can not speak for current but in the early 90's Hornady made gas checks for Lyman.

Boolit Grand Master

$50.00 for Lyman checks ? That's insane . When I get home tonight I'll post the name of a company here in La. that makes and sells them a lot cheaper than that.
    I recently bought 4000 and they work just fine !

Boolit Man
    Lyman 44 caliber gas checks are $61.99 for a box of 1000 at Midway...unless I am reading something wrong or they have it marked wrong. I got a box of Hornady's about a year ago and I seem to remember something like $34.00 for 1000 44 caliber.
    It just doesn't seem like there is that much to a gas check for that price difference.

In Remembrance

A simple answer to high GC prices is to just use PB boolets.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Hornady seems expensive for what they are. Part of why I went to powder coating. Spending 32 per 1k gets mighty expensive in pistol calibers.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Good point if I can get the power out of them I need and not fill the bore up with lay-odd.....I actually have some loaded up to try tomorrow. Probably wont be a good test day as the heat will cause all the lube to run out all over the ground.

Boolit Master
    Hornady has the patent for the crimp on gas check. Lyman/Ideal checks slipped over the bases of the boolits and could slip off, or not, in flight. As accuracy requirements for cast boolits got more stringent, Lyman gas checks became less marketable. Soon Lyman quit offering theirs and went to Hornady's design. I would imagine Hornady charges a stiff license fee to allow Lyman to compete directly with them, and Lyman duly passes this charge on to the customer.

Agree with everyone that they are all overpriced. So are bullet jackets. So is powder and primers. Hand loaders are being gouged eight ways from Sunday.

In Remembrance

Anybody remember the `Good old days` when they were darn near giving handloading supplies away cause everybody used already loaded ammo?Robert

In Remembrance
    Robert, what did you say? I'm not that old!'
    James

Anybody remember the `Good old days` when they were darn near giving handloading supplies away cause everybody used already loaded ammo?Robert

Boolit Master
    Robert I agree about PC, but the problem some of have is we own molds that require a gas check and at least one of my GC molds was made by H&G 77 years ago and is unique.

Boolit Man
    Being a filth poor hillbilly all my life I have never seen anything ever given away...but I do remember a time when I figured it up and could cast my own boolits {did I spell it right???} and load and shoot a 357 magnum for less than I could buy and shoot 22 long rifle hollow points!!! Somewhere around 77'

Boolit Master
    I suspect that the cost for copper is one reason why copper gas checks went up in price so much. even with jacketed bullets as well as brass cartridge cases too. I have watched the thin sheet copper prices go up almost daily in cost. One week it cost like $3.50 a sheet and a week later it was $6.50.

I do remember when reloading wasn't very popular many years ago and reloading supplies were a lot lower in price at the time. Unfortunately times have changed.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 08-18-2016 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add more information

Boolit Buddy

I get mine from NOE which are Gator gas checks. Work great and price is right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by msinc View Post
    Being a filth poor hillbilly all my life I have never seen anything ever given away...but I do remember a time when I figured it up and could cast my own boolits {did I spell it right???} and load and shoot a 357 magnum for less than I could buy and shoot 22 long rifle hollow points!!! Somewhere around 77'
    I can still do it now, if looking at the prices of .22LR in some of the stores around here. $8/100 for .22 LR. They're very proud of their .22 ammo. And price it accordingly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by msinc View Post
    I too remember those days msinc.

It always peaks my interest to read a post from a guy that only posts on average 6 times a year or so. I always wonder why they chose to post at that particular time.

Boolit Master

I remember going to the Army Surplus Store and buying .22 shorts for .29 and Long rifle for .49.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I remember going to the Army Surplus Store and buying .22 shorts for .29 and Long rifle for .49.
    .89 for LR. $7.50 a brick for Winchester Wildcat.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    £35 a 1000 here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast