• Master Caster

9 56.25%
  • Other

2 12.50%

Thread: Ballisti-cast Mark X or Master Caster

Boolit Grand Master

Ballisti-cast Mark X or Master Caster

The title says it all.

I have a nerve injury affecting my left arm that makes casting difficult so I am looking at one of these as a possible solution.

Anyway, I have been buying bullets for a few years but since I retired money is a bit tight. I had planned for that and had been getting the multi cavity molds so I could shoot more economically. It pains me that I have a lot of multi cavity molds that cannot be adapted and will wind up getting sold - most never used!!

Which machine would you buy and why?

I see that there is a Hatch automated Master Caster for sale but it is above my price point. My right arm is still good so I think a manual machine will suffice and it is what I can afford.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

PS: I will be casting mostly 9mm, .38 Spl and .40 caliber bullets. I do have a .30 caliber rifle to cast for but it is a secondary consideration.

I bought the master caster and I am happy with it. I didn't think Ballisticast was still around, so didn't even consider it.

Banned

master caster.

their 38-40 mold shoots well in the 40 S&W's I have tried it in.
    and their 125gr rnfp is accurate at velocity's down looow like 600 fps low, but has enough lube groove to be pushed In a lever gun.
    you can get your lyman and rcbs 2 cavity molds converted to be used on their machines easy enough too.

Boolit Master
    I like my MC, it has been automated though, but before i did that, it was still an excellent machine. I guess it also depends on how much money you have to put into a machine. What is the difference in cost between the two you are considering?

The MC isn't super fast, but it is easy for one handed operation.

Boolit Grand Master

Master Caster for factory support alone. They aren't going anywhere. Is Ballisticast even around anymore? There was to much drama surrounding the company. If you're able to make your own replacement parts then a Ballisticast would be a viable option.

Banned
    I'll be blunt there. I own a Ballisti-cast Mark IV bullet caster. Its a great machine. The Mark 10 is more complicated and harder to run from the feedback I have received from several here that have purchased one. As to the comments about having to make your own parts (ballisticast) I sincerely doubt that there is a remote need to worry about that. I have made probably 50K bullets on my Mark IV with no broken parts. Either machine requires that you use hand, arm, and shoulder movement. The Magma unit is adaptable to auto operation which believe me would be better for you in the long haul. I make about 1600 bullets an hour on my machine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tazza

There is an automated MC available for $3000. It looks like a nice unit but it is more than I wish to spend. With the molds I need, I can get a new MC for about $1500 and not need to run 220v or air.

To all,
    Thanks for the responses. It looks like the MC is the way to go.

When I was looking for one of the two I couldn't find a ballisticast at all. So I went for Master Caster. Is still manufactured, I can have support from the manufacturer, parts available, molds available, small and light enough to be moved around, very easy to work with, very easy to change molds and the last but not least it works like a charm.

Boolit Master
    I have both. They are completely different. The Ballistics is much smoother and a joy to cast with. I get around 1800 9mm per hour. Down side is changing molds is a job and a set of molds are 500.00.

The master caster is much cheaper and easy to change molds. It is harder to cast with.

If you don't need large supply of one style/weight then I would choose the MC. I shoot pistol competition so the Ballistics at is great for me.

I have two Master Casters, plus a Bullet Master. I can get customer service by just picking up the phone and calling Magma. While the Ballisticast is a nice machine, the company has changed hands many, many times over the years. They used to have a booth at the SHOT Show, but you never knew who was going to be in it from year to year.

For me, the company that's been in business the longest gets my vote. Stability counts.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Mold
    For what it's worth Northern Valleys Ballistics bought and continues to support the Ballisti-Cast Mark VI. It took some effort but I was able to track them down and order one with a heated base this week for approximately $800. I used a Magma Engineering Star Luber with heated base for years and could never get it to run correctly. Tried hard lube and soft lube, and sent it back to be refurbished twice. I never could get the bullet feeder to work properly. I am hoping to have more luck with the Ballisti Cast. I love my Magma Mark 8 Bullet Master, it runs flawlessly and I have several sets of molds. I could never get the Star Luber to work after numerous hours invested. I will keep everyone posted on the Ballisti Cast luber.

Check out their web-site http://www.nvballistics.com/

Boolit Master
    Mark X is a joy to use, once you attach a solenoid to the pour lever.
    Just press a button to pour and pall the rotate handle.
    2500 per hour for 9mm.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    timed solenoid?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    timed solenoid?
    Haven't got that far yet. Looking at servo drive unit for it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    If it works off a lever, can you not just use an air cylinder to stroke the handle? Flow restrictors to tame the movement of the cylinder. You can use a timer to control the solenoid.

Boolit Master
    yeah. But air is a PITA.
    Preffer electricity.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    That is understandable...... a bit long of a stroke to do with a motor and lever i guess? If you lowered the pivot point i guess it could be done. Shame a lineat actuator is so slow, and probably get too hot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    timed solenoid?
    timed electric solenoid is what I had in mind.

Boolit Master

had to vote 'other' to see results of poll
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place