MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magma master pot

Boolit Master

Magma master pot

Gentlemen,

First, I did a search for this and found some information, but much of it was fragmented..a little here, a little there (maybe I didn't look hard enough, but anyway):

For those who own / use Magma's Master Pot / Master Caster. I currently have a Dripper 4-20, but want to increase my volume of casting using my Lee six cavity molds (9mm, 40 SW , 45 Auto).

What are the pro's and con's of the Master Pot (besides the price!). As I said, I would use it with 6 banger molds, and would like to run 2 molds in tandem. I currently do this on my 4-20, but she empties damn fast!

Anything to be cautious of? Any questions I should ask at Magma when/ if purchasing? One oriface or two? etc...

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    It's a good pot with decent temp control. You will like it, once it is paid for. You change the orifice by removing a metal disc on the bottom of the pot, one disc is single the other is double, can't remember if it came with both or if you have to buy them separate.

Boolit Man
    mine came with a single orifice Need to order the double. Also wish I had ordered it in .220V
    But ran a couple hundred lb's in ingots yesterday

ML

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
    mine came with a single orifice Need to order the double. Also wish I had ordered it in .220V
    But ran a couple hundred lb's in ingots yesterday

ML
    Why do you wish you ordered it in 220 V? I don't think I'd have much choice...I need the 110.

MntnGoat;
    What is the thermometer you have wired in there?

I have the 90lb pot in 220 volt, but haven't used it in several years. I will eventually get 220 ran to the casting room of my next house, but am making do with a Lyman 20 ld pot now.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Mntngoat:

How about some details on your controller !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Great pots.
    I run the double orifice on six cavity moulds. Only thing I use the singe hole on is my single cavity 45/70 rifle moulds.

You could also by an RCBS pot then use your Lee to premelt. Althoug the 40 pound Magma will just eat an eight pound ingot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Great pots.
    I run the double orifice on six cavity moulds. Only thing I use the singe hole on is my single cavity 45/70 rifle moulds.

You could also by an RCBS pot then use your Lee to premelt. Althoug the 40 pound Magma will just eat an eight pound ingot.
    How are you pouring with the double orifice? Are you pouring two cavities at a time as you move the mold in/out? (start, stop, start, stop...)

Boolit Master
    Why do you wish you ordered it in 220 V? I don't think I'd have much choice...I need the 110.
    One thing that I can think of is that the 220 uses exactly 1/2 the amperage that a 110 would. A lot of guys have a remote shack with a long wire to it. You can get more power through a 220 than a 110 without losing voltage over a long run.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I built as close of a copy of one as I could from photos. It uses a 3500 watt 220v oven element controled by a PID.

Boolit Master

Very Nice JM. You have a talent there. I'd love to have your fabricating skills (I also saw and watched your brass seperator. Really cool. If I were your next door neighbor, I'd be borrowing stuff from your garage all day long!

I cast in my basement (vented). Its an older house with 110 service, so its 110 for me.

Boolit Man
    Thats Magmas digital controller. Really a slick setup. Comes up to temp quick and holds it very well. After talking them to them this morning The extra juice I use allows me to cast anywhere there is a 110 Outlet which is a plus.

ML

Boolit Mold
    I don't believe the master caster will work on a GFI circuit. It did not work for me until I removed the GFI receptacle. I was lucky enough that the code allowed me to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    How are you pouring with the double orifice? Are you pouring two cavities at a time as you move the mold in/out? (start, stop, start, stop...)
    Yes I start the flow then poor the entire mould without stopping flow.
    I’ve a Master Caster setting next to the hand poor pot. I move the squirrel cage fan off the Master Caster onto the other pot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
    The extra juice I use allows me to cast anywhere there is a 110 Outlet which is a plus.
    What extra juice?
    You're not using any more "juice" with 120 volt than you would with 240 volt.
    1500 watts is 1500 watts. Doesn't matter if you're getting there with 12.5 amps and 120 volts or 6.25 amps and 240 volts. Still going to be 1.5 kilowatt hours for every hour it's running on the electric bill.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Man
    Thanks Matt thats why I build cabinets not wire homes....

ML

Boolit Master

Is it worth the money? I use a Lee 4-20 and cast 15 - 20K pistol bullets a year. How much better than the 4-20 is it?

I have noticed its a real pain when the 4-20 pot runs empty and I'm still in the mood to cast...Kind of screws up the swing of things. I'm hopeful that the 40 pound pot will fix that problem.

Does the Master Cast pot drip / leak like the 4-20?

Boolit Man
    mine does not seem to leak one drop as of yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    Is it worth the money? I use a Lee 4-20 and cast 15 - 20K pistol bullets a year. How much better than the 4-20 is it?

I have noticed its a real pain when the 4-20 pot runs empty and I'm still in the mood to cast...Kind of screws up the swing of things. I'm hopeful that the 40 pound pot will fix that problem.

Does the Master Cast pot drip / leak like the 4-20?
    Run a 20 lb Lee pot on the side constantly melting ingots. When the casting pot get low...just use a cheap SST ladle to ladle molten lead from the "melter" to the "caster".

Boolit Master

Master Pot price

I recently e-mailed Magma Eng. to ask a few qustions...In a nutshell, the unit price for the Master Pot has increased to $595 plus $40 shipping. (I think it used to cost $575). They said they were having trouble keeping up with demand.

I really do like nice equipment, but $600??? Wow! I might just stick with my 4-20 pots for awhile longer!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast