RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do with iron and zinc ww

Boolit Buddy
    How many pounds do you want? 60? 120? 180?

Boolit Bub
    I keep my old steel and zinc weights in a separate bucket. I found a $5 pair of old speakers at Goodwill, and pulled the woofers out. They have nice big magnets on them. I tried using one of them to separate the steel from the zinc. It works really well!

Boolit Buddy
    Zinc round balls make excellent Wrist Rocket ammo.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    Zinc round balls make excellent Wrist Rocket ammo.
    Now that make sense. Just another form of ammo.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Bub
    I had quite a bit of zinc sitting around. I tried smelting it, and it worked. It took a lot longer to melt than lead, and the clips don't float to the top. However, it made some really nice ingots. They're quite a bit lighter than lead. They're very close to pure zinc, because they weigh almost exactly what the density ratio predicted.

Boolit Master
    Anyone ever try making shot out of zinc? I know the smaller pellets would loose steam quickly but what about #4 and bigger?

In Remembrance

I give my accumulated unwanted scrap weights and other metal to a friend that puts the plastic pail in the trunks of junk cars he is selling at the scrap yard for extra weight.Robert

Boolit Master

480 gr .731 zamak 3 (96% zinc, 4% Aluminum) full bore 12 ga "Zlugs" for rifled gun. The same slug in lead is 775 grns. I move the Zlugs at 1600+ fps, 4' ballistic gel penetration. 3 - 5" groups out of Ultra Slug Hunter @ 100 yds. I buy the alloy from rotometals. The Al. works like tin in your lead, helps with flow and fill out. Weighs about 62% of lead. Gotta cast about 825*
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	175528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	175530
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    CA, USA, Earth, Sol(ar) system, Milky Way Galaxy
    If anybody has some zinc WW that they would normally throw away, I would be happy to reimburse you for your flat-rate shipping boxes full of them.

Here in CA, it is now illegal to hunt squirrels, coyotes, or any other varmint with leaded ammo, so I'm experimenting with zinc boolits. I have a .223 mold that with lead would be a 55gr boolit, but with zinc, it's 32. If I load it in a .223 Rem case with enough pistol powder to reach .22mag velocities, it's cheaper to shoot than .22lr these days. Especially if I source the zinc for free! A local tire shop hooks me up with a box of WW from time to time, but I think they're out of business now.

As for the boolits, I'm surprised at how easily they cast. While they're not perfect cosmetically, the zinc flows much better than I was led to believe. I pour them 1 at a time. The sprue is much more difficult to break off than lead, but if you beat on it a few times, it breaks away. I got my .224 boolit sizing die in today, so I intend to load some up and try them out on Monday! I have an H&R Handi Rifle that will be my test platform. It's not being used for anything currently, so if I ruin the barrel, it won't break my heart.

So, help out a Californian, and send the zinc WW my way! Shoot me a PM if interested.