RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Commander style hammer for 1911 Government

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Commander style hammer for 1911 Government

I have several Colt 1911s and am about to get a Remington R1. I prefer the look of the original style Commander hammer and would like to fit out my three Colts and my Remington with them. I can only seem to find the modern style Commander hammers unfortunately.

Can anyone advise who markets this style of hammer?

The fact that the spur hammers bite chunks out of me is also a factor.

This is my taste in 1911s:

Blued
    Plain slide serrations at 90 degrees to slide, as per original
    Commander style hammer
    Arched mainspring housing
    Double Diamond walnut grips.

Apart from the grips, this one fits the bill and I am currently negotiating to swap my SS Series80 38Super for a unfired (I'll soon fix that!) blued Delta Elite ( I might have to pony up with a few dollars). It is like this one:

This is my 38Super:

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Vendor Sponsor

You can easily find the Commander shaped hammers, most are skeletonized or lightened with an oblong hole instead of the conventional "Rowell Spur" of the original Commanders.

Here is a listing with 5 original Colt's Firearms Series 70 Commander Hammers.. With the exact spur you desire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Colt-Se...cAAOSw41xXOmtF
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Thanks, it seems that they all have 'does not ship to Australia.'

I will have to order through the Colt importer I think.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Maybe try Brownells, they have one or two listed, but I don't know if they ship to Australia.

I bought (from CA) & fitted a Caspian Arms Commander-style rowel hammer (no elongated hole) to my Remington 1911R1.

The CA hammer dropped right in, but the slide wouldn't cycle during hand testing - it was limited by the hammer limiting on the top of the hump of the issue grip safety.

I removed the grip safety, ground the offending hump "off" with a slight radius, cold blued & re-installed everything.

No other mods or adjustments, through about 1500 rounds so far, with an excellent trigger pull (on MY gun). YMMV.

Last edited by pietro; 08-09-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

My bad I did not see you were from down under. Yes it is a violation of federal law to ship any firearm parts out of the US unless you are an exporter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

It is a bit frustrating, pick up the phone or get on the net, flash the plastic and you can buy the gun, no problems at all, but getting parts for it is a huge PITA.

HaHa, I found a new Wilson Old style Commander hammer downstairs along with a lot of other 1911 tune up bits! I'd forgotten about them. Problem solved for one gun at least.

It sounds like the solution to you problem is to pick up a hammer that is already there. Are there gun shows in Australia? Here, it's not difficult to find parts at shows, but unless they're new in the original packaging one must inspect them closely for wear/repair/defects. Perhaps you could find another shooter who owns a pistol with the hammer you want and arrange a swap. It helps to advertise, so maybe a 3x5 card on the local club's bulletin board, etc.?

I know what you mean about the hammer bite. My original 1911 would draw blood after half a box of cartridges every time I fired it. Changed out the original hammer for a commander-type hammer. It still bites, but not as bad. On the other hand, I have a 1911-A1 with the issue hammer that doesn't bite, and several other 1911-A1 types (like an AMT Hardballer) with the issue type hammer that don't bite. Just some slight dimensional difference there. When one examines them all very closely there are several issue type hammers with subtle shape differences.

Hope you find what you want/need.

I get bits chopped out of me whenever I use my 45ACP R1 Remington. I want to use it in Wild Bunch, so I am sort of stuck with the spur hammer. I'm thinking of either shortening it or placing a small cut across the top of the spur, bending the spur up and welding it which should give more clearance.

I have been sans 45ACP ammo for sometime and too slack to load, but I just loaded up a storm and will re-examine the issue.

It's amazing how much difference 1/8" trimmed from my Ballester Molina hammer spur made. No bite no more. And it looks fine.
    But glad to hear you found one in your goody stash!

You can "bob" the commander spur as well
    Ala Detonics Mark 4
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It's amazing how much difference 1/8" trimmed from my Ballester Molina hammer spur made. No bite no more. And it looks fine.
    But glad to hear you found one in your goody stash!
    The one I found in ,y goody stash will go on my 9mm, but the R1 will get the spur hammer shortened. It is to be used for Wild Bunch Traditional and the rules state spur hammer only.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

Hey in the future remember this post. Brownells ships to Canada for parts under $100US. We ship to our Aussie friend via Canada Post. Consider that next time you need something strange.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Hey in the future remember this post. Brownells ships to Canada for parts under $100US. We ship to our Aussie friend via Canada Post. Consider that next time you need something strange.

Take Care

Bob
    Thanks for that, but we have a Brownells agent or dealer here apparently. They will order the stuff in for us. I haven't used them yet, I only found out about them a few months ago. I don't think they crry a great stock, just do a monthly order it seems.

I need a hammer nose for my Model 10 and some spacers for my Series 80 1911s to convert them to Series 70s, so I must try them.

Thanks.