Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for another turret press

Boolit Grand Master

Question Looking for another turret press

I'm using a Lee turret now.
    It's a good press except for the bar in the front. It gets in the way sometimes.
    I was looking at the Lyman "T" mag, but the price is a little high for me.
    I've seen the Spar"T" going for what I can afford.
    A few questions about the Spar "T"....
    Does it take a standard shell holder????
    How bid is the throat????
    Can it load the same large calibers as the "T" Mag????
    The "T" Mag has a bolt in the rear to help support the turret. Is it a problem with the Spar "T"????
    It's not going to be used to size or deprime, only loading.

Aloha...hope I spelled it right.
    I have the T Mag II, and love it. If I had to loose all but one press, I know I'd keep that one.
    The screw in the back can be adjusted so that it prevents any flex in the turret, both models have it.
    I've never used the T Mag, though I suspect the linkage was improved in the T Mag II and it can be run left or right handed.
    If it were me and had to choose I'd choose the T Mag II because I think it is heftier.
    With the powder through the expander dies Lyman makes, and others, you can run your dispenser right on the turret.
    From looking at the pictures on the link, It looks like the T Mag uses regular shell holders, but...don't hold me to that call.

Best-o-luck

pictures Lyman t mag turret press
    Last edited by OS OK; 08-09-2016 at 04:04 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    It's a good press except for the bar in the front. It gets in the way sometimes.
    The "T" Mag has a bolt in the rear to help support the turret. Is it a problem with the Spar "T"????
    I load 9mm, 300AAC and 223 on the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and love the thing. Between the price ($122 delivered brand new on eBay), the auto indexing and the quick change die holders, it's pretty tough to beat. I like the bars that spread the load evenly against the pressure. The other turrets cost more, are wide open but don't have auto indexing and they cantilever the load.
    Last edited by 6622729; 08-09-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would suggest a Lyman All american. Built to last
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    I will second on the LEE turret. I had a Lyman turret and had 2 good days with it. One the day I bought it and the second on the day I sold it. I had problems with the turret getting loose and the lever/knob that you turn the turret with. The knob gets in the way and is hard to manipulate. The newer LEE classic 4 hole seems faster and just as accurate as the Lyman. Very happy witht he LEE.

Boolit Master
    I went old school for my turrets - both Hollywoods. The newer turrets did nothing for me until I came across the 8 station that I use with LNL bushing's and now a 12 station for case forming using multiple dies. I have the swage rod which locks the head up for heavy tasks.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I used a Lyman turret press, at our gunshop back in the early 90's. Most of the time, if I was loading more than 20 rounds, I did it on the Lee three hole turret press at my house. The Lee did not auto-index, but it was handier, and much quicker to use, than the shop press. That said, I did enjoy using it, and would buy one used, if I got a good deal on it. I don't remember if ours was a Spar-T, or the one that transitioned between it and the T-Mag. Ours had a black turret and orange frame. It tilted back like a Spar-T. The turret had two holes with screws so that you could use a primer feed in it. I think it had the same style linkage as the Spar-T, but that part of my memory is cloudy. It did use standard shell holders. I did load 7.92x57mm rounds on it and it would handle 7mm Rem Mag rounds as well. I think it was a latter version of the Spar-T.
    Last edited by jimkim; 08-09-2016 at 07:42 PM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    This looks like it, except it had the old style handle with the Rally bicycle grip, and I remember it being angled. That is the same turret though.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I have had a SparT turret since I started reloading in the early 70's. I have the auto primer feed for it also and have loaded 308,.243,3006.and 30-30 rifle cartridges on it along with many different pistol cartridges. I think it's a great all around press. I keep my Redding powder measure on the press between the expander die and bullet seater and I load every round to completion by turning the turret. The only change I made to the press was to D&T the turret head for two 5/16 x 18 x2.5" bolts to turn the turret with. I know reloaders feel everything in presses has to be massive to be good but this press has worked good for me. I loaded sub moa ammo on it for both my .243 and .308 with Jwords. It takes standard shell holders.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Here's a video link to a vid I did about a year ago...long winded, yes but I was talking to the newbies on the channel. Bottom line is this, 'Organize' the turret top for efficient operation and minimize all the moves and the ole turret can manufacture lots of great rounds, made safely and with precision...can't ask for more as a hobbyist. I'm using the Lyman T Mag II in the vid.
    Since this video I've adopted the technique of double tapping the fill stroke of the power dispenser and do the same on the delivery. The double tap on fill allows the metering hole to settle the contents and meter the powder more accurately...especially if using Unique, a large flake powder that likes to bridge going in and out. The double tap on delivery is to insure that the metered power does, all go into the cartridge without bridging on delivery.
    Use soft ,even and consistent strokes and you will find that this method is a superior method of metering and delivering powder of any size or shape more accurately. The double tap method keeps the powder in the hopper settled also, I use a baffle in the hopper to keep a consistent weight of powder above the metering hole in the drum regardless of how full the hopper is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5b2uZ3Uz8

I hope that you are able to acquire a T Mag but there are other true turrets that warrant investigation...the Redding for example.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Nice Vid!!!!

To be honest a turret press never really blew my skirt up!

I like this better but admittedly, not cheap!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

That's a cool looking press, never saw one. It's the same premise though...stick a piece-O-brass in and pull out a complete bullet.
    It's so new looking but it looks like something out of yesteryear too. What do you call it...besides efficient?

Boolit Master
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master
    This looks like a transition model. Between the old slant press and the new straight press.
    This one is straight.
    Has the newer handle with the foam grip.
    No bolt in the rear to take up the slack of the turret.
    I could use this one.
    Handle is only one position.
    Bolt holding the turret to the press.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    This looks like it, except it had the old style handle with the Rally bicycle grip, and I remember it being angled. That is the same turret though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Redding and RCBS is more than I want to spend on another press.
    If I can fond one for under $100, I'd be Happy, Happy, Happy....

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Here's a video link to a vid I did about a year ago...long winded, yes but I was talking to the newbies on the channel. Bottom line is this, 'Organize' the turret top for efficient operation and minimize all the moves and the ole turret can manufacture lots of great rounds, made safely and with precision...can't ask for more as a hobbyist. I'm using the Lyman T Mag II in the vid.
    Since this video I've adopted the technique of double tapping the fill stroke of the power dispenser and do the same on the delivery. The double tap on fill allows the metering hole to settle the contents and meter the powder more accurately...especially if using Unique, a large flake powder that likes to bridge going in and out. The double tap on delivery is to insure that the metered power does, all go into the cartridge without bridging on delivery.
    Use soft ,even and consistent strokes and you will find that this method is a superior method of metering and delivering powder of any size or shape more accurately. The double tap method keeps the powder in the hopper settled also, I use a baffle in the hopper to keep a consistent weight of powder above the metering hole in the drum regardless of how full the hopper is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5b2uZ3Uz8

I hope that you are able to acquire a T Mag but there are other true turrets that warrant investigation...the Redding for example.

Boolit Bub
    I had a Lyman T-Mag, sold it. Saved my pennies and bought the ponsness warren met 2. Funny thing is now my Hornady is sitting covered up and I haven't touch it in awhile. The met 2 is a joy to use but it's pricey

Banned

There ya go. That in itself dictates which press you end up with. Unless of course you find a gem in an old barn or estate sale. Which could very well happen. Price answers all questions.

btw- that's a pretty little press seagiant

Boolit Master
    This looks like a transition model. Between the old slant press and the new straight press.
    This one is straight.
    Has the newer handle with the foam grip.
    No bolt in the rear to take up the slack of the turret.
    I could use this one.
    Handle is only one position.
    Bolt holding the turret to the press.
    I always thought he should have replaced the bolt with a grade 8 bolt, and machine the top off and make it into a stud, and maybe make another turret, only make it thicker, and a little larger in diameter, just to make it a bit sturdier. Can you tell I worked in Fab and machine shops? I can't help it, everything I get I start re-engineering it in my head at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I always thought he should have replaced the bolt with a grade 8 bolt, and machine the top off and make it into a stud, and maybe make another turret, only make it thicker, and a little larger in diameter, just to make it a bit sturdier. Can you tell I worked in Fab and machine shops? I can't help it, everything I get I start re-engineering it in my head at the very least.

I think it's typical of men who have a penchant for their particular work, me, I've been an electrician for 48 years...I'm constantly looking at other Contractors pipe work for straight and plumb etc. We are little 'gearheads' all in our own way.

I look at welds to determine if someone put something together correctly, and with how much care...

I got to thinking about your quest for another turret. First of all, how does the bar on the Lee Classic Turret Press get in the way? Maybe you can adjust your technique because it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people. Assuming you can do that, just to be sure you know, the turret that holds the die pops right out. Then you pop another one in with the dies of another caliber. You can't operate more than one press at a time so this is like having a second turret press and it comes in way under your $50 budget. I have found it to be an amazing value and a very strong, accurate press.

Attachment 174535 Attachment 174536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast