Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hi power...round 4

Boolit Master

New hi power...round 4

My fourth hi power is from gb and I didn't want a super nice gun so I looked for a electropenciled mk 3 gun w nice bore. The frame is a 1990 forged in 85 percent shape w excellent rails and new trigger and new sear....as I found out after disassembled

the slide is a replacement that fits surprisingly tight. You can tell this was on another gun prior. It's penciled to match

the barrel seems to be a really like new condition one w super sharp lugs.

The he slide had bad epoxy finish on it so I Chemical stripped it and found a unmollested park finish.

Now it looks super great!!! Just waiting for my spring kit. Got this gun for 350 and it would have been a 380-400 dollar gun if the epoxy was removed prior to my work on it.

Boolit Master
    Cool. Love the HP. Let's see a picture of the parkerizing.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love those HP's!! Currently saving for one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I actually liked my arsenal reworked so much I'm currently in for another one just waiting for the auction to end.

i don't think everyone really likes the electro penciled guns as much due to lack of originality and lower resale value but they make super beater guns or guns you don't really care about pulling out and using. I'm thinking of leaving my original guns alone for the term and just bouncing between these two forced matched guns.

The he good thing about these forced matched ones are from the one I got is they replaced a lot of internal parts, you have usually newer frame or slide, and your guaranteed compatibility w parts for the other hi powers if God forbid its rendered a parts gun because you became unfortunate with a dud gun but what's the chances your rework stops after a thousand rounds? They should provide decades of service. Worst thing I had happen was a slide stop broke. 35 dollars later and new slide stop gets a 400 dollar gun running

Boolit Master
    you said "My fourth hi power is from gb"
    who is gb ?

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    you said "My fourth hi power is from gb"
    who is gb ?
    Gb = GunBroker

Boolit Master
    I got 4 of em through gunbroker. Just attempting to get a 5th one from same guy. Two shooters three lock em up for the sake of having it

Boolit Mold
    I picked up a very similar Israeli Mk. III but almost unused about 17 years ago. It must have been a supervisor's gun as it was almost new except for some dings. It had the tiny safety which I replaced with a C&S, and I removed the mag safety to keep the same manual of arms as the 1911. The Mk. III sights are easy to see and right on. Put on a set of Spegel delrins and a bit of skateboard tape and done. I have a little over 3K rounds through it; the BHP is by far the most reliable semi auto pistol I own. I EDC a Glock but my heart belongs to the BHP.

Boolit Master
    This electro penciled one was deff used at some point my guess was the frame was well used. The slide was used and epoxy paint dinged up but maintained great mechanical condition and the internals looked like barely used. It's a hybrid of parts condition and I love this gun. Not afraid of holstering and unholstering. It's my walk to the farm and back gun.

Boolit Master
    My 1995 cast receiver will be like a unused gun. It's prob a sad story but it will recieve its second retirement when it gets to my house

I picked up a nice beater awhile back, it's a Mauser 80a, licensed HP. I think German police surplus. Has exterior wear, but works slick and is a good shooter. Going to add some sights &
    grips. I have a Target model that is the most accurate 9mm I've every shot.

Boolit Buddy

What follows will be heresy to some Hi Power folks, but so be it. If we were all the same life would be boring! I love the P35 design (after one removes the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned mag safety) but do not care a whit for provenance. I don't care - in other than a financial context - if the gun is a genuine FN or license-built clone. I just want it to work. Yes, I have owned Belgian versions in the past. This is similar to my attitude towards 1911s. I have owned genuine Colts, but all of my current 1911s are clones and work fine.

Probably the best value in a P35 clone is the Hungarian FEG version and the Charles Daly versions, which were built with FEG parts, but assembled and fitted in the US. I still find FEGs for between $250 and $350 at the gun shows and every one of the many I've owned has been a good machine. That's kinda' hard to beat when various FN-produced Hi Powers typically go between $750 - $1500.

Sure, I'll buy a brand name firearm from time to time if I can get a killer deal on it (primarily for investment purposes) but if I just want a reliable shooter and EDC weapon, I look at the quality clones. They work, you don't have to worry about getting a scratch or spot of rust on them and you can do your own light custom work on them without destroying the resale value.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master
    I could agree w that doc. In Virginia they want around 400 easy for these feg's. I can't see that but I'd pick up a feg in the right bhp part compatibility for 250

Boolit Master
    I have an old Belgian h-p with the old style extractor. I tried to find a replacement not that mine is broke just wanted one. they are made of unobtainingum . so I went on ebay and bought a new Charles daley slide in the white. it fit and operates just fine. this is my everyday carry gun.

Boolit Master
    I have a FEG and a post war FN. The FEG is just as good but it had the worst pistol trigger (worse than a nagant revolver that I once owned) that I've ever felt. When the trigger was pulled it sounded like a creaky old screen door. I took the mag safety out and then it had a good trigger.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned
    I've owned several HP's and my views are similar to Doc1's views. The design (except for that mag safety) is good and other manufacturers can match the Browning quality in operation. I've had Brownings, FEG's and others. Some of those shot very well and it didn't always require "Browning" stamped on it to make it work. (although the Brownings did usually shot well)

The Brownings, particularly the old ones, are beautiful guns. The copies can be very good shooters. The later two piece barrels and external extractors may offend some of the collectors but the HP is a great gun in just about any form.

The 1st thing I do with a HP is remove the mag safety. I have had one or two HPs around my
    whole life. I can say this on out of the box triggers, the older guns made and assembled in
    Belgium have target triggers compared to later models fitted in Portugal. They are spongy to
    say the least.

Boolit Master
    Just took my sear, sear spring, hammer, safety out of my electropenciled gun today bc I noticed I was missing the hammer strut nut pin. I put basically a pin made from a old meter seal that was discarded in its place, moly lubed the safety pin, cleaned and relubed the sear and the recess for the pin to go through w moly. The whole assembly got a light coat of moly grease if it pivitoted on a pin. Shot a 6 shot group into the small of my size 9 hand. Oh and I put g10 grips on it. Easier to shoot thumbs foward this way.

Boolit Master
    Tore the newest one I picked up...this has a replacement barrel but original frame and slide. You can tell the slide was prob used by looking in the lug recesses (one side looks not as sharp as the other side) other than this gun is fitted tight together and has new or newer ejector and new or newer sear and a really strong sear spring. My beef w this one is all the hi powers I've gotten from surplus stocks have had throated barrels which are excellent for cast bullets.....this one was never throated like the ones I've recieved up to now. I've checked my normal loads and they don't plunk test well. This made me kinda sad. Well what's the name of that guy on here that does throat and cylinder reaming? Deff going to have to use him for this. Maybe I'll see if my new 147 gr mold from mp fits this barrel but having serious doubts but will have to heat the mold up and load some to find out. Might just vecome a 147 gr gun if it does

Boolit Master
    I think the HiPower has, without a doubt, the finest ergonomics in the grip of all. No better a grip have I handled.
    When you think of today's technology available, all with the engineering that can be put into polymer molds, then I must question WHY are all the polymer guns grip feel squarish and bulky?
    Why not use technology to mold the Hi-Power grip feel into the polymer molds?
    Recently I went to gun store and purposely looked at the newest and greatest polymer gun. That grip felt like a square box of kitchen matches compared to a Hi-Power.
    Why is this happening?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast