Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap maker idea

Banned
    At first I wanted to keep my methods secret. I was ridiculed. If I post stuff here it is for the public and you may share it with anyone and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    Traffer
    I have heard the silvery powder in a etech-a sketch is powdered aluminum. If you had one of them you have a lifetime of powder.
    Trapper
    be carefull with the primer rebuilds .I don't think hammering out the dent more than once is a good idea. Keep them to low pressure loads if possible.
    n.h.schmidt
    Thank you for letting me know about this.. Have anyone try to add magnesium powder to the roll caps to have the flash more to help to fire a side hammer muzzle loader .I got it from a pyrotechnics supplier at a gun show .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    I have not tried magnesium powder yet. But coincidentally I just filed up a bunch from one of those strike a fire deals. Magnesium is hotter and more energy than aluminum so be careful with it. I have several "recipes" for primer. I notice some call for aluminum powder. I don't recall any specifying magnesium. But I haven't read them thoroughly yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Fine shaving of magnesium are extremly flamable, burn hotter than a welders tourh or arc and are almost imposible to put out. They could be hard on nipples and or barrels. At work when machining magnesium we never let alot of chips build up on or in the machine because of this. If youve never seen magnesium burn its a bright white light ball of flame thats as bright as a welder arc. I dont think it would cause a pressure issue but could be a wear issue

Banned
    Thanks for that warning.I have indeed seen magnesium burn. Used to work in a racing shop. We would collect magnesium and once in a while grab a handful and throw it into the huge wood burner we had. Quite a display. That's what the pyrotechnicians use to make the bright white fireworks. Aluminum burns white too but not as bright.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Fine shaving of magnesium are extremly flamable, burn hotter than a welders tourh or arc and are almost imposible to put out. They could be hard on nipples and or barrels. At work when machining magnesium we never let alot of chips build up on or in the machine because of this. If youve never seen magnesium burn its a bright white light ball of flame thats as bright as a welder arc. I dont think it would cause a pressure issue but could be a wear issue

Boolit Buddy
    Traffer, there are several easy ways to anneal your brass. Some line their smelting pots with aluminum foil, pour in the cases and cover with a ball of foil. Some use their propane grills. I found (for me) the easiest is to put a bunch of cases on an old baking tray and put your oven on self clean and let them run through the cycle. After you anneal the cases they will usually have some scale and it's an easy operation to run them through a rotary tumbler with stainless pin media. I know it's a lot to wade through but BT Sniper et. al have written about this on the swaging forum. Good luck
    Domari Nolo

Banned
    Thanks for the ideas. I will do that. The oven needs cleaning anyway. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    Traffer, there are several easy ways to anneal your brass. Some line their smelting pots with aluminum foil, pour in the cases and cover with a ball of foil. Some use their propane grills. I found (for me) the easiest is to put a bunch of cases on an old baking tray and put your oven on self clean and let them run through the cycle. After you anneal the cases they will usually have some scale and it's an easy operation to run them through a rotary tumbler with stainless pin media. I know it's a lot to wade through but BT Sniper et. al have written about this on the swaging forum. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12