MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG - Aluminum Foil patching !

Boolit Master

OMG - Aluminum Foil patching !

I just ran across this while looking for Bullet Swaging photos with Google Images !

Some fellow is patching with Aluminum Foil !

from http://www.ammosmith.com/forum/index...c,10091.0.html

He doesn't say very much about this, but I guess it works fine.

I don't suppose it would hurt the rifling.

DoctorBill
    I would just like to ask -
    WHOM does our Current Government represent, anyway ? !

It sure as Heck doesn't represent ME ! How about you ?
    Seems to be just a Big Mafia run by the current set of criminals in office.
    Have we EVER been this close to losing our Country ? !

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBill View Post
    I just ran across this while looking for Bullet Swaging photos with Google Images !

Some fellow is patching with Aluminum Foil !

DoctorBill
    I see that he is exceedingly consistent with the positioning of the patch on his bullet ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    People do all sorts of strange things. I'll bet there is someone patching with Emory paper too

Boolit Buddy
    He might as well use emery paper. They use aluminum oxide to make industrial grade sanding belts. I buy and use a lot of them. No way I would run one of those down my barrel.

Boolit Master

that looks a lot like aluminum duct tape, its a lot finer than foil and has a sticky side that holds real well. I think it would be easier to just get the right size boolit.

Boolit Master
    All aluminium has a fine coating of oxide, which like anodising stops the extreme reactivity with the air which its atomic structure would suggest. But it is very fine and smooth indeed, so as to be entirely transparent. I don't believe it would hurt the barrel anywhere near as much as firing high-pressure incandescent gases through it, which we can do thousands of times before the damage is significant.

The Portuguese chose and immediately dropped patching with copper foil, when they found out that it caused inaccuracy due to unreliable detachment. Regular attachment or detachment would be about equally good, but centrifugal force prevents the former, and probably soldering due to frictional heat the latter. But aluminium is extremely hard to solder, even if you want to.

I think this material would work. It is quite good as a bearing material for a hard steel shaft. My only doubt concerns its thinness, which I think is likely to wear through and produce leading. The same material in soda-can thickness, even if annealed, would be likely to remain in the bore and act as an obstruction, unless we accepted the complication of turning the ends over to form a blind tube. But I think thicker foil, used just like a paper patch, would have real potential.

This pops up every now and then. Forgotten for a while then re invented again by someone else. Like masking tape, stick on shipping labels, Teflon tape, even seram wrap. Sort of comical and they say I been doing it for years LOL.

Several years ago on the old shooters, there was a discussion on making aluminum jackets out of pop cans for swaged bullets. The results where heavy galling and fouling worse then lead alloys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    People do all sorts of strange things. I'll bet there is someone patching with Emory paper too
    Guaranteed to get a good grip!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

I also dont see any ends and the gap or overlay of the 2 wraps of aluminum foil patches ends. Is he using square ends or angled what is the gap between when wrapped. Several questions come to mind with this. Will the aluminum foil "sweel when the bullet expands to seal the bore or tear / crack? WIll it be cut to release the bullet at the muzzle? And last after years of working in forming punching and forming parts How abrasive is it going to be on sharp corners of the rifling and lands grooves?

Boolit Master
    I notice that thread lasted a whole nine days, right up to the claim of 2" @ 300yds.
    Far be it for me to call him liar… but I do wonder why he got so quiet all of a sudden.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    no CSI will be able to track the body to his gun

Boolit Master
    Be careful what you say !

Hillary might hear of that and use it as one more reason to make guns illegal -
    you can't trace Paper Patched Bullets to any rifle !

Do you imagine that she reads this Forum..........?

DoctorBill
    I would just like to ask -
    WHOM does our Current Government represent, anyway ? !

It sure as Heck doesn't represent ME ! How about you ?
    Seems to be just a Big Mafia run by the current set of criminals in office.
    Have we EVER been this close to losing our Country ? !

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Several years ago on the old shooters, there was a discussion on making aluminum jackets out of pop cans for swaged bullets. The results where heavy galling and fouling worse then lead alloys.
    Ah ha, always wondered how come nobody used aluminum cans to manufacture base expanding projectiles for rifled muzzleloading cannons.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    What I was thinking aluminum fouling. Wonder what kind of bore cleaner you would need to get that out of a barrel.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpend View Post
    What I was thinking aluminum fouling. Wonder what kind of bore cleaner you would need to get that out of a barrel.
    Pepsi?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

You know I wonder if one could take aluminum beverage can metal and wrap it as a protective seal on the base of the bullet to prevent gas cutting?

Oh wait gas checks, silly me.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    You know I wonder if one could take aluminum beverage can metal and wrap it as a protective seal on the base of the bullet to prevent gas cutting?

Oh wait gas checks, silly me.
    LOL, IIRC Winchester used aluminum for the jacket material on their silver tip ammo.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    LOL, IIRC Winchester used aluminum for the jacket material on their silver tip ammo.
    Only the tip was aluminum, the rest of the jacket, any portion that came in contact with the bore, was copper.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    Only the tip was aluminum, the rest of the jacket, any portion that came in contact with the bore, was copper.

RRR
    Actually, I pulled a .45 Silver Tip from a .45ACP case and found that the bullet is aluminum jacketed and had a canalure around the base filled with a green waxy lubricant.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast